'Complete' Protection Warrior spreadsheet
This thread is purely for the development of the Protection Warrior spreadsheet and the baseline conclusion from the numbers produced. Please keep any discussions about specific gear and encounters in their respective threads. And ofcourse, feel free to add or link to this thread
Why a spreadsheet and why now?
After the 3.2 changes with Devastate and its Glyph, a lot of people, including myself, considered using Devastate more prominently in their cycle/rotation to get an increase in TPS and/or DPS. Due to some errors and the already extensive lengths of the posts in the earlier Devastate Glyph math thread I set out to make a spreadsheet to do all the math for me in a more structured overview.
What does this spreadsheet do?
Once you fill out the yellow cells, the spreadsheet calculates average damage, threat, rage efficiency per ability, your cycle/rotation TPS and DPS as well as some numbers on damage intake. Basicly all the stuff you would want to know when you want to compare gear without having to get raid group together. As of version 1.05+ it also calculates defensive stats.
What does this spreadsheet NOT do?
Tell you what to do. If you totally don't have a clue how to maximize threat/DPS, you should either reroll to Super Mario, or wait for someone to do the work for you and post it here for everyone to read. There is a basic guide in the next post, but it assumes you are already aware of basic rotations and ability usage.
Special Thanks to:
Rashor, for starting me off with his personal spreadsheet, as well as checking all my math and formulas before I posted them here.
Also a lot of other people from the old Devastate threat to point out my errors in a constructive manner.
My guild, for making me feel like the geek I probably am
Small Warning: I use OpenOffice.org for spreadsheets, which I then convert to .xls format to upload it. This could possibly give problems in future versions when certain code is incompatible with Excel. Unfortunately, I can't do anything about that unless someone is willing to buy me an MS Office package. Starting V1.05, all zip packages include both .ods and .xls versions.
Last edited by Airowird; 03-25-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Reason: Updated to V1.10 (Patch 3.3.3)
TODO & Change Log
* None reported
* Update in Cataclysm
* Updated Thunderclap, (Imp.) Revenge and the Vitality talent to reflect the changes in Patch 3.3.3
* Added ICC aura buff, increasing health and damage done by up to 30%
* Added Mocking Blow
* Separated Shield Slam damage while Shield Block is up
* Updated Shield Slam to post-3.3 changes (DR reduction + 30% extra threat)
* Updated Devastate to do 20% more damage
* Fixed Armor formula using the wrong level
* Added a Physical Damage Reduction buff for Shaman/Priest critical heal buffs (100% Uptime)
* Added the 'loss' of Block on avoidance once Unhittability is achieved.
* Added Burst Time stat values and HEP (Health Equivalence Points)
* Fixed Vitality working twice
* Fixed Flask of Stoneblood
* Fixed Blocking part of TankPoints numbers
* Added rough calculations on Instants for both TP and EH
* Added Mixology as option. This will automaticly scale the Elixirs/Flasks chosen to it's right number
* TankPoint & EH stat values added.
* Added Block to TankPoints.
* Added Armsman Enchant. (Parry Rating part not included)
* Added Defensive stats, talents and buffs
* Added new tab for damage intake numbers.
* Supports Icecrown Citadel (T10 bonus, Icewell Radiance)
* Changed Zip-file to contain both .ods and .xls versions
* Added Eternal Earthsiege Diamond choice
* Fixed innate threat always connecting
* Fixed Shockwave & Heroic Throw connect chances
* Added Elixirs and Flasks that have an effect on threat. To allow this all input stats are changed to ratings.
* Added 3 extra numbers on the Rotation page. These are rotation rage/sec cost, autoswing Rage and the total.
* Added Parry Haste Immunity check for bosses.
* Changed Shockwave to use melee hit chance. Thunderclap is still on spell hit chance though.
* Fixed Deep Wounds bonus on Cleave crits.
* Added dropdown menus for talents, glyphs, set bonuses and raid buffs.
* Fixed a ton of links that were missing or pointing to the wrong cell due to cut & paste work.
* Added raid buffs & debuffs, all stats to be entered are now paperdoll/armory stats.
* added WotLK set bonuses (all tier 2p bonuses).
* Fixed a reference error with Thunderclap.
* Glyph of Devastate gives anywhere from 5-15% extra overall threat.
* It's in fact so good it makes Devastate do more overall threat than Cleaving 2 targets and that for only ~1/2 the rage cost!
* The general priority is Shield Slam (SB) > (Imp) Revenge > Shield Slam > Devastate / cooldowns
* fast vs slow weapons with Deep Wounds is a minimal difference, especially if you don't have to keep up your own debuffs. Slow is better when at lower HS rates.
Last edited by Airowird; 03-25-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Reason: Updated to V1.10 (Patch 3.3.3)
A quick question, is it unbuffed or buffed values? And weapon damage is that weapon dps, or average weapon damage on your weapon, or average weapon damage from your char screen?
Last edited by Tharr; 09-16-2009 at 07:11 AM.
numbers are currently as you read them off your char panel while you're buffed. I only implemented buffs that aren't simple stats (WF, 3% haste aura, sunder & faerie fire). I am planning on adding separate raidbuffs later on though.
weapon damage = average damage from weapon itself, without AP or anything added.
Then you forgot Sanctified Retribution (3% damage buff), Mangle (Bleed Damage debuff For Deep Wounds), Heart of the Crusader (3% crit debuff)
Originally Posted by WarTotem
So if I am doing this correctly and filling in my values appropriately (of which I am slightly guessing on a few because I don't know my raid buffed stats off the top of my head), then devastate has higher tps in pretty much every configuration over even revenge?
Seems the proper order of abilities are, if the math is correct:
Shield Slam (with Gag Order) > Shockwave > Concussion Blow > glyphed Devastate > Shield Slam (without Gag Order) > talented Revenge > unglyphed Devastate > untalented Revenge
The various crit talents affect it to ofc but I didn't put in all the numbers, and since those talents usually give something good aswell it's something usually taken anyway.
So this puts Revenge to something to use when we're low on rage. But more importantly, can save those 2 points from Improved Revenge and put it into something more useful, like 1 min reduction on shield wall.
That is if you have the Glyph of Devastate yes, it adds more than 600 TPS for even a starting raid tank.
Originally Posted by Magnuss
@Warloco: you can add the 3% crit into your 'base' crit, but you're right, I'll be adding the others later. I'll probably steal the list from MMO-Champion RaidComp so let me know if there is anything missing on there.
So should our rotation be SS-Dev-dev-dev-SS-dev-dev-dev under infinite rage scenarios?
No, SS > Shockwave > Conc. Blow > Devastate > Revenge if you have enough rage. If it's a large boss you might not hit it with Shockwave though so then that goes out obviously.
you need to add in somewhere the 10% crit from 2 piece t8 and another toggle for 2 pc bonus of 5% damage to dev for t9
I'm running with both, and apparently my devastate outshines even shield slam. I literally would just press devastate non-stop.
Actually, if you want to maximize threat, SS-Dev rotation is the best. If you can spare some Threat in favor of DPS, you can use CB & SW.
Originally Posted by Tharr
But these discussions are more suited for other topics. If you want to discuss the consequences of the Devastate glyph (such as; you can spam it for decent threat so you can focus on your surroundings more, it's the best to tank 2 mobs with if you have sunder glyph as well, ...), please start a separate thread. This one is mostly meant as pure raw math to support discussion thread such as those and aiming for replies such as the one of Warloco, who help identify errors, caveats and other mathematical additions to this spreadsheet, to provide the warrior tanking community out there (which according to GC is the biggest of all 4 classes lolz) the necessary science to calculate their output without swinging at dummies for hours. That and I'm currently Wowless untill this weekend, so I needed something to do
That's next on my list of things to do. I just added about all the raid buffs there are and if they don't give me too many problems, I'll add set bonuses and update to v1.1 in the next half hour.
Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma
If I'm correct it should be:
2pT7: 10% Shield Slam damage
2pT8: 10% Devastate crit
2pT9: 5% Devastate damage
That shouldn't be too hard, so I'll add them now, new version will be up once I'm done.
PS: If anyone has any requests about talents, abilities or other special things they would like to see in this spreadsheet, please ask. I'm always up for a challenge
Is V1.01 meant to have unbuffed stat numbers from the armory and it calculates in raid buffs?
File: Prot Warrior Skills v1.01
I don't know if this is things you are working on or not but this is what happens now.
What I did was a quick check on the calculations then simply altering numbers in the yellow boxes and checked if the total tps on the Rotation tab was changing, if it was not then I checked the abilities in the abilities tab to see if they changed.
A few things I found assuming you want to use unbuffed values now:
(C6) Why is the difference in agility divided by 6250? I'm quite sure a warrior don't need that much for 1% crit.
(C13) Buffed Block Value is not affected by your buffed strength. The effect from Glyph of Blocking is calculated wrong. It should be "unbuffed blockvalue divided by the 1.3 from talents and then multiplied by 1.4" because Glyph of Blocking only gives you 10% of your untalented block value, the block value meta gem works the same way. Because of this you maybe want to add a box for the Shield Mastery talent as well.
(E21) +% Attack power, does not affect anything.
(E22) +% damage done, does not affect anything.
(E23) +% Haste (major), does not affect anything.
(E24) +% Haste (minor), affects damage on abilities on the global cooldown, seems to be the +% damage done.
(E28) +X Stats, does not affect anything.
(E29) +% Stats, does not affect your unbuffed agility.
(E35) +% Physical Damage, does not affect anything.
And is it possible to change Base Weapon Damage to Weapon DPS instead? Since the average weapon damage is weapon dps times weapon speed anyway. I think it would make using this even more user friendly if you don't have to calulate averages.
Last edited by Tharr; 09-16-2009 at 08:18 PM.
(C6) It's 1%/62.5, so you need 6250 agi for 100% crit. Spreadsheets use 1% = 0.01, so I simply followed that.
(C13) Adding it now, as well as trying to think of a way to get shield block average in there as well.
(EXX) seemed I deleted some links by cutting & pasting, fixing them now.
I'll add weapon DPS in instead of you like, problem for me was that the DPS on the tooltip isn't always accurate because of its 1-digit rounding.
Last edited by Airowird; 09-17-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Cell C16 in the Rotation sheet.
"=2,6/(1+C15)". You need to replace 2,6 with the actual weapon speed from the stats sheet.
As it is now you wont get the correct "Weapon Swing Timer", since it will always be 2,02...s regardless of weapon speed.
Nice catch, fixing it now.
Originally Posted by Rashor
It's 3% crit that doesn't show up on your charactersheet due to being a debuff, which is why I brought it up.
Originally Posted by WarTotem
Well it's fixed now, but I'm still struggling with the block value DR on Shield Slam. If anyone has a complete formula for it, I'ld more than love it. Else I'll just keep on looking for it with my dear friend Google