+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I am a joke...just not ha-ha funny.

I am a joke...just not ha-ha funny.

First off, be brutal. Secondly, use small words and spell out as many acronyms as possible.

Ok, here goes. I'm a lvl 50 human warrior with no idea what the right questions are to ask, let alone understand most of the answers. I have read many, many guides, forum posts, etc. but without having played for endless years I have forgotten what I knew and the world has passed me by.

This is the first forum I've come across where the people seem to be polite, reasonable and have taken their medication. So, this is my first post anywhere.

Please look at my armory profile and when you've recovered yourself please post any and all comments you might have.

Lastly, I mainly complete quests and solo. As I understand it this will not be as much of an option as I gain levels, so I will need to define a role (Tank, off-tank, etc.) for instances/raiding but soloing is my joy and the only thing I'm certain I can do properly.

Looking at my talent points, armor and weapons, you will see that I am a squishy hodgepodge of something or other. And yes, I am ashamed.

I welcome any advice on any topic you see fit to comment on. Thank you.

Quiden

Honestly, get to level 80 then repost this.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Satrina-
    Thank you for your prompt reply. However, when I asked for brutal answers I wasn't really expecting to be dismissed out of hand within 3 mins of posting my question. Even a level 1 warrior is worthy of some considerate help from people such as yourself who have attained so much experience and knowledge, don't you think?
    Regards, Quiden.

Use a two-handed weapon when going for arms spec.

I don't think Satrina's being rude, the fact is that there is really no advice to give at the moment, specially gear wise. As by the time you recieve said advice you should of leveled and gotten better gear than what was originally suggested.

Alternatively, most of the mechanics at 80 don't really apply to anything under. As they've been designed to be tanked/dpsed by any spec (while it definately helps that you're prot). Anyway, best advice to give is get leveling - as long as you can kill stuff you're doing ok!

Come back when you're 80 or close too and I'm sure people would be more willing to offer you the advice you need.

Stengel and Eraser, thank you for your comments. And I did not take offense at Satrina's remark, and I hope she/he did not take offense at mine, I just did not understand the reasoning behind it.

Feeling way behind the curve, I want to progress correctly (making wholesale changes now if needed) so that when I do reach 80 I will have accumulated some sound advice upon which to proceed.

I just want to say that although there is not much help you can receive at this point other than you need to stick with it. I was the ONLY warrior in my guild up until a few months ago and I am the only tank in the guild.

I noticed that most of your guild (28%) are DKs, which means they have at least a lvl 55 toon somewhere, and (14%) of the guild is warriors but the only worrior that is close to your lvl is 20 lvls below you, your best bet my be to start joining groups and running with other guilds and think about switching guilds if yours isnt going to help you the best that they can.

My guild is far from being the best but I have been with them for two years got to know everyone and that is the only thing that is making it hard for me to move my Main to another guild....dont get me wrong if a Naxx running guild asked me to join I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Okay, as a levelling warrior, i'd go arms or prot. And I can see you are arms. Now get a good 2-handed weapon instead of your dual weilding.

I myself found myself starting to level my warrior at 45 and up, but I went with prot instead. Prot was an easy way to do it, with a shield and defensive stance/talents I didn't get much damage, which meant I could do most group quests solo.

As many have said above me, no real suggestions can be made to better yourself, before you are level 80, especially when you haven't decided on a role yet.

Good luck
    The box said: "Requires Windows 98 or better.", so I installed Linux.

If you want to be prepared at 80 (for any class) look at the different forums that are around, Like tankspot and elitist jerks, and read as much as you can on the class you are leveling. I would also look up a good leveling guide and level as quick as possible. Then once you hit 80 you already know a lot of the mechanics for either dps or tanking so you can jump right on into heroics. Then once you get some gear you can post back here and we would be more willing to give you advice on gear and specs.
    because to say the least the advice we give you now will mean nothing to you because most likely in a day or two your gear will change and you will be onto a deeper spec which means our advice will fall onto ears that cant really implement many changes.

Get to lvl80, worry about it then.

Welcome to Tankspot. This really is the best place on the net for anything remotely related to tanking in WoW.

Keep in mind WoW is an entirely different game at 80 then it is while leveling. Tanking is really a max level party thing. It's not really an issue while leveling because people do so little grouping while leveling these days.

Either Prot or Arms is generally best for leveling. Dual wield is just weak at lower levels (like pre 60). However any spec is capable of getting you to 80.

I'm assuming your interested in tanking or you wouldn't have chosen tankspot.
    Warrior Defensive Stance: Warrior Information
    Warrior Beginner Gear Guides - I recommend Cider's easy 540.
    WotLK FAQ

Those answer a lot of the more common beginner questions.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Thank you all for the very helpful information. I had no idea that the nature of playing changed so dramtically post-level 80. Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do.

I'm going to take your advice and when I hit 80 come back with more specific (read: coherent) questions.

Good hunting to you all-

Quiden

I leveled as prot - it was tough going in BC but alot easier in WotLK when I went 70-80. You don't kill things as fast but you're very hard to kill and rarely have to worry about pulling more than one mob at a time. Don't worry too much about gearing until you're in your mid-70s as you'll cycle through gear quickly enough that its rarely worth spending money on enchants for.

Gems though are a different story. Blue quality gems are likely to be pretty cheaply obtained on most servers and can add a pretty significant stat boost to gear with sockets.

Also, if you are interested in tanking, there's no time like the present. You'll level faster just by doing quests, but tanking instances with peoeple at approximately your level will give you some valuable experience and if you can find groups, its well worth the time imho.

Good luck.

I was actually in a similar position, Quiden. When I got to level 49 I didn't really know what I was going for, was mostly Arms spec, but using two-weapons like you are since they seemed better than what I had, etc.

At level 49, however, a patch changed Sweeping Strikes over to the Fury tree (I forget which patch), and I got annoyed and decided to try something different. I respecced to Prot almost completely, and deciding to focus on sword and shield fighting and tanking, etc. I loved it, and it completely changed the game for me. Suddenly, when I ran a dungeon I could actually charge into a group of monsters and not die since I was receiving heals. I also knew what gear I was looking for, etc. My advice would be decide what type of playstyle interests you: sword and shield, fighting with two weapons, fighting with one two-handed weapon, and stick with it. Once you know what you're going for, it will help you focus as you level. If you like a two-handed weapon, go with Arms. If you like two-weapons, go Fury. If you like sword and shield, go Prot. Levelling in that spec will make you familiar with it, even if it's not the fastest.

...and I actually got Sul'thraze the Lasher right after I respecced, and never really got to use it... go figure. lol

+ Reply to Thread