+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paladin tank, threat

Paladin tank, threat

I am faily new to tanking, i am having some threat problems when running Uldar with my guild, i have re-speced to what i was told was a threat spec, or at least better then what i had at the time. Also i was told to stack strength until i have my tps is better, here is the link to the armory if you see any thing or have any advice plz let me know The World of Warcraft Armory

It's possible to get a little more threat from your build by going 0/53/18 and picking up 3/3 Crusade, however from a quick look at your glyphs I have a suspicion that your biggest reason for low threat is your rotation.

Prot Paladins use a rotation commonly known as "969". The reason it is called such is because you alternate a spell that takes 9 seconds to cast again with one that takes 6. While Holy Shield and Consecration actually have an 8 second cooldown, it's 9 seconds before you can cast them again, due to Global Cooldowns etc. It doesn't matter which order you cast the spells in, as long as you're always going 9 then 6 then 9 then 6 on loop. Once you've been through each ability you'll be "locked in" to 969 as you'll just be pressing whatever's off cooldown.

So, for example:

Code:

Time        9 Second        6 Second
    ====        ========        ========
    0 sec       Holy Shield
    1.5 sec                     Hammer of the Righteous
    3 sec       Judgement
    4.5 sec                     Shield of Righteousness
    6 sec       Consecration
    7.5 sec                     Hammer of the Righteous
    9 sec       Holy Shield
    10.5 sec                    Shield of Righteousness
    12 sec      Judgement
    13.5 sec                    Hammer of the Righteous
    15 sec      Consecration
    16.5 sec                    Shield of Righteousness
    18 sec      Holy Shield        
    As you can see, the entire rotation takes 18 seconds. Some people macro the whole thing, some people macro the 9 and 6 second parts seperately. I personally don't macro anything, but do whatever you find the easiest.

Now, the reason I could tell you weren't doing it correctly was your Glyph of Consecration. As you can now hopefully see, you're hitting buttons on every cooldown without there ever being a gap. By glyphing Consecration, you extend its cooldown to 10 seconds which means you cannot effectively do a 969 rotation (you'll have 1 second of dead time where you're not casting anything every 9 seconds). For the same reason, you only need 1/2 Improved Judgements in your talent spec as it being at 8 seconds offers no benefit to your rotation above being at 9 seconds, since you can cast it only once every 9 seconds.

If you're tanking Ulduar, I'd suggest taking Glyph of Judgement for added threat as Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous offers no threat benefit on single-target.

With your level of gear you really shouldn't need to be gemming for Strength to gain threat unless your DPS are all uber-geared (and even then you could argue that they should mitigate their own threat accordingly rather than ripping off you). If you continue to struggle then you could either pick up the Ret Libram or Darkmoon Card: Greatness for certain fights where your DPS will put out a lot of threat (Hodir Hard, Vezax) but your rotation will make more difference than any change to gems, enchants or gear really.

This is the talent build that I use: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

It is the highest threat against Demons, Undead, Humanoids and Beasts ("DUH mobs") and is only very slightly behind {5/5 SotP + 5/5 Reckoning} against other types. However, I personally still favour this even against "no-DUH" mobs because of the added utility Persuit of Justice and Vindication give you. Besides, Crusaders' Coliseum is almost exclusively DUH

Finally, if you're still tanking Naxx or if you want to make sure you're prepared for Icecrown, be sure to pick up the Glyph of Sense Undead (minor) for an extra 1% damage against Undead mobs as long as you remember to track Undead.

Hope that helps but feel free to ask if you need anything else. Good luck!

I'm not gonna repeat Mert's advice, it's solid advice and well explained.

What I would like to know is what fights exactly are causing you problems.

Against some fights (Hodir and Vezax for example) you have threat problems if your guild is doing everything right. At the same rate, people who can push out that much dps shouldn't have an issue keeping threat in mind.

Against some fights, you could run into mana problems, which in turn can cause you to have threat issues.

As a paladin, I've often ran into threat problems on steelbreaker because I dispell him myself. (I don't want a healer doing it - I take a hefty hit, potentially a heavy dot tick and a melee hit all in a short time, I don't want to knock out my healers ability to heal for 3-4 seconds.)
    (Note that when I say problems, I mean "my dps might pull aggro if they don't use a threat reducer," I'm not talking about losing aggro.)

If you stick to the 969 rotation, you shouldn't have many threat issues.

It's been a while since I've done Council on normal mode, but I used to pop wings on running in for that very reason. Main problem I have though is when people don't realise a mob isn't attackable straight away and so launch into it from the very second they can before I can get any sizeable threat lead. Gordok the Impaler, Malygos, drakes on Sarth+x, etc. For fights like that I usually tell people not to open up until I specifically call for DPS on Vent

Ty for the advice, it has helped a lot. I have all ready reglyphed and am eager to test out the correct rotation. In anwser to ur question Martie i am having the most threat problem on steelbreaker. Do to dispelling myself and dps going all out before i have a good threat lvl

Simple answer for that: don't kill him first.

Harder answer: tell the dps to wait a sec 'till you've build some threat.

It's no crime to wait 20 seconds. You will have two advantages:
    - raid has time to position (less stress).
    - you have time to get some aggro.

And; don't forget your wings if you really have some trigger happy dps
    is a bit of a retired Tankadin at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    It's been a while since I've done Council on normal mode, but I used to pop wings on running in for that very reason. Main problem I have though is when people don't realise a mob isn't attackable straight away and so launch into it from the very second they can before I can get any sizeable threat lead. Gordok the Impaler, Malygos, drakes on Sarth+x, etc. For fights like that I usually tell people not to open up until I specifically call for DPS on Vent
    Gordok has a special move against that, though.
    He basically kills any one melee dps in range immediatly, and anyone overaggroing drops like a fly as well, and we make sure to explain to them that they screwed up.
    (And I point him to the side to make it easy to see he started attacking me.)

+ Reply to Thread