+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on geming

Advice on geming

So for my pally tank i like to stack avoidence gems and stam to meet the socket bonus.. also cuz im told that avoidence > stam which imo is right but recently im seeing alot more tanks stack just all stam or if that def/stam to meet their meta.. am i doing something wrong now or are they

The World of Warcraft Armory

pure stam or avoidance/stam, never pure avoidance imo. Regal is fine gem (dodge/stam)

If i were you i would search the forums here for the discussions on eh(pure stam) and avoidance so that you can get the whole picture.
    But for me personally i am a stam stacker. I put +stam in everything except what it takes to meet the meta requirement. My reasoning behind this is in the current content the bosses hit really really hard and its tough for me to put my faith in something random to keep me alive.
    But like i said you can find alot of info on this topic scattered throughout the forums

Most end game tanks will prefer stam over avoidance in most situations (also depends on socket bonus'). Stamina gems will give you more of a return than avoidance gems though. Just some pointers on your gear:

+10 stats is not very useful as a tank you would be much better off with pure stamina here, or defense/stam if you are a avoidance nut.

Gemming for parry, although not a complete waste, is not advisable. If you want to gem for avoidance go for dodge/stam or defense/stam in 99% of cases.

Your chest enchant (+10 stats) is not very useful as a tank, you would be much better off going with +275 health or defense to chest, they will give you a much more real return.

Pure avoidance gems are a pretty big no no, particularly parry gems, if you really want the socket bonus go for dodge/stam, it will give you a larger return.

Doing the above you will in reality lose very little avoidance and gain a significant chunk of HP.

Remember although avoidance is great it will do nothing against magic and damage over time effects. Your best friend in these situations is stamina. Remember tanks very rarely use the one set for every encounter, they mix and match pieces to suit the encounters mechanics. I prefer to gem primarily for stamina, however your style may be very different to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraak View Post
    But for me personally i am a stam stacker.
    Yessss, we have names for people like yooouu, we call them, mana sponges!

Seriously though, I think a balance between avoidance and EH needs to be achieved to be effective. For most of us, avoidance comes through gear, sockets give us more EH. At the lower end (early nax), you have to work a bit harder for both so it wouldnt be criminal to socket for some avoidance and steadily phase it out as your gear improves. Its all about give and take, that new piece might give something else and take something away, you just juggle things around to come out better off overall.

Totally agree with the "best answer". One more thing to consider are agi / stamina gems. You'll trade in a little bit of dodge for some EH (armor), crit and dodge. After kings of course. But still.
    is a bit of a retired Tankadin at the moment

Agi/Stam lose value slower than dodge/stam, but even from start they are both very close gems in effectiveness. Agi/Stam i a fine choice.

+ Reply to Thread