+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Trial of the Crusader 10 Man HC Knockout"

"Trial of the Crusader 10 Man HC Knockout"

My guild has recently started to do Trial of the Crusader Normal and Heroic. The problem that I have is it seems that I am far to soft and tend to die on bosses over and over again. It has been so bad that raid leaders have asked me to DPS instead and used other tanks.

What I would like to ask you guys is this: What can I do to improve myself as a tank. I am willing to try just about anything as any cost. Be is spec, gear or enchants.

The gear I currently have consist out of a lot of lvl 245 items that leeds me to believe that is not the problem, I can be wrong

The World of Warcraft Armory

I also have the following badges available if you guys think I can put it to good use.

176 x Conquest
    2 x Triumph

Pales.

Pure Dodge gems, pure Agility gem?, Dodge enchant on cloak. Gem entirely for stamina, get def or armor on your cloak.

yeah dude .. ripp those pure dodge and agility gems out and replace em with 30 stam gems ... tanks should have close to 40k hp unbuffed now these days and its almost required now in toc ... especially in hards

I tank in around 35k unbuffed hp and I feel squishy on 10 man heroic Gormok. We usually down him (can't make it past icehowl yet but we have only had a few good attemtps) but I need a cooldown for each phase I am tanking. I can't imagine tanking him with much less hp than that.

Avoidance is nice, but if you are getting hit hard enough that you drop in one or two hits then it is time to rethink your gemming. Another consideration is cooldown usage. As a DK you should probably be burning a cooldown or asking for an outside cooldown for every time you are tanking Gormok. The worms should not be too bad for you and I am not sure how your guild handles Icehowl.

Avoidance is fine for farm content but on bosses that hit as hard as the ones in Heroic ToC you want as much effective health as possible so your healers have a chance to keep up.

First off when/how are you dyeing? Some specifics would be nice so we can tell you how to improve.
    There are a few things i would suggest doing.
    Your spec. You seem to be missing a lot of the key talents for frost tanking. I would spec into something like this Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft You should see a increase in your threat and your overall survivability due to more threat so mobs arent attacking dpsers
    Your gems. Right now for the encounters my personal philisophy is stam stacking. There are alot of boss fights where having a large health pool means staying alive. So i would switch all of your gems to 30stam and 54stam (3 jewelers) but also you need to include some exp/stam gems to meet the meta requirement. (your lacking a lil bit in the expertise area)
    Enchants i would either enchant your cloak with armor and your chest with 275 health.
    For gear i would look into getting the jc trink with dodge proc. It will add a good chunk of hp and the 1min cd on the dodge proc is also nice. I would also get the tanking sigil from emblems of conq.
    Thats about it. If you could be more specific we can help you more.
    Last edited by Myrddraak; 09-16-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Especially on a fight like gormok the dot he puts on you really hurt and can't be avoided. With a dot stacking comes an unavoidable big hit so stamina works best there.

For Gormok, use cooldowns for taking Impales once his rising anger reaches 4 stacks. Damage gets so high that you either need plenty of EH or cooldowns to survive Impale.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by Crommi View Post
    For Gormok, use cooldowns for taking Impales once his rising anger reaches 4 stacks. Damage gets so high that you either need plenty of EH or cooldowns to survive Impale.
    Why would you let impale reach 4 stacks? Are you trying to do the first event with only one tank?

We handled the stacks by taunting at 2 stacks for the first tank. That allowed the tauntback to occur immediately after the first tank's stacks dropped off, and if timed perfectly (like, literally there's a 1-2 second window), you can take the boss back before the 2nd tank gets 3 stacks. Our kill, and several attempts leading up to it, had no tank taking more than 2 stacks. Even 3 is healable as long as the boss gets taunted off... there's no reason to be carrying four stacks.

first off WOW agil and dodge gems in gear that is dumb

second any 25 uld or toc tank knows that pure stam is the way to go now and avoidence is gear based now

like others have said gem purely stam unless its needed for meta requirements

u need WAY MORE hit 3.14% or 4.14% with heroic pres is gimping your threat alot because everything is missing

your valor medal is pointless now u should use the monarch crab with atleast 1 stam gem

id recommended chanting your chest with +275 health and throwing 16 def rating to cloak

and by god REPLACE your cloak that one is like entry tank not endgame

and did u make your spec or did u copy someone because that is crap

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft is my personal spec before i went blood look into going that way

do that and see how u do

As several people have already mentioned, you can improve your survivability in the early ToC-heroic encounters by retrofitting your gear to place a heavier emphasis on raw health pool. I can understand using dodge/stamina gems to meet red socket bonuses, but the obsolete +16 dodge rating gems are in need of replacement. The avoidance trinket would be worth putting a focus on replacing as well.

Again, Gormok does hit particularly hard on heroic. Ensure that you're using icebound fortitude before the second impale on your last round tanking him (IE: when the damage increase effect applied by the snowbolds has stacked to 4), otherwise the surge of damage from impale is likely to be lethal.

Your spec and glyph combination seems odd to me. I presume by the lack of rime/annihilation, you're going for a death strike-based rotation. However, why use the howling blast glyph in that case? You'll be losing a significant portion of your regenerated health (and thus threat) without both diseases, so using the FU pair as a single-disease refresh via howling blast is only useful for multi-target (which should be trivial with morbidity / DnD glyph / howling blast unglyphed already). I can certainly see the viability of the spec from a survival-concern standpoint, though you will suffer a small threat loss from the modified rotation. I just think you'd benefit from trading the howling blast glyph for death strike. Alternatively, if you're using obliterate or HB as your primary FU ability, then you may wish to look into a few of the obliterate-centric spec suggestions.

-Splug
    Last edited by Splug; 09-14-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Hi Guys,

Thanx for all your replies. I have taken most of everything mentioned into account and now have the following: The World of Warcraft Armory

What do you guys think?

I tanked Ulduar tonight and it felt much better. I will let you guys know how TOC goes later this week.

If i were you i would replace those 10strength gems with hit/stam gems. It wont help alot but it will be better than strength. The thing with hit is you need to balance it out because if you cant hold threat (and to get threat you need to hit a mob) then your healers will have to divide their attention between you and the dps that are getting wacked on. But if you drop to fast then a healer cant keep you up. So it boils down to one giant balancing act.

+ Reply to Thread