+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Parry Bombing in ToC

Parry Bombing in ToC

Parry bombing in ToC? I've done a bit of research and I just can't find the answer. Are the bosses in ToC toggled to parry bomb, or no?

Sorry in advance if this is covered someplace else and I just didn't see it.

I don't see any indication that they wouldn't parry haste. In the past, only select few bosses (namely dual wielding bosses) were ever coded to not parry haste and the Blues almost always explicitly said so. All ToC bosses should parry haste, and as such, dps'ing from the front is a no no for survivability AND dps.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Gormok was hotfixed last night to remove his ability to parry haste.

Hrm, guess he IS quite a handful in heroic.... that helps =]

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    I don't see any indication that they wouldn't parry haste. In the past, only select few bosses (namely dual wielding bosses) were ever coded to not parry haste and the Blues almost always explicitly said so. All ToC bosses should parry haste, and as such, dps'ing from the front is a no no for survivability AND dps.
    Cleave - The Darwinian solution to DPS (generally melee, but I have see casters! o.O ) who refuse to stand in the back to eliminate parries and avoid breath weapons. Very quick death, and there's never a question as to whose fault it is.

well, Cleave too, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    Cleave - The Darwinian solution to DPS (generally melee, but I have see casters! o.O ) who refuse to stand in the back to eliminate parries and avoid breath weapons. Very quick death, and there's never a question as to whose fault it is.

Some people will blame this on the tank because the tank had the boss facing them. /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Gormok was hotfixed last night to remove his ability to parry haste.
    glad that's the case. rogue/warrior can be a handful on h toc 5 faction leaders. poison + WW can be a bitch to heal through.

@ OP: "parry bombing" is a bit of a strong term. yes most of the melee-based bosses parry and yes they do get 40% attack speed reductions from it, assuming that when the parry occurs, it doesn't occur inside the dead-zone of their swing timer where it would not increase their haste at all. the term your using implies a TBC parry-gib mentality when crushing blows were still in the game and could pulverize a tank.

unless your melee dps are trying to make your healer's life more difficult by dps'ing in front of the boss and adding an entire toon's worth of additional attacks to the combat table, I wouldn't worry too much about it. at the expertise soft cap, the boss will parry @ 7.5 out of every 100 parryable strikes, and just under half of those will fall within the deadzone and result in no parry haste effect:

2.4 second timer (after 20% reduction)

2.4*.4 =.96

if a parry occurs when the boss has between 2.4-1.2 left on the swing timer, it will proc parry haste:

1.2-.96 = .24
    .24/1.2 = .2 = 20% <<< right on the line, based on the parry haste rule

therefore, from 1.19-0.1 remaining on the boss's swing timer, a hasted effect would reduce the timer to less than 20% of the remaning swing time, and therefore a parry will proc no parry haste.

so don't be too concerned about it. bosses who can hit hard and fast enough to still make parry thrashing a concern tend to have it removed by blizzard, as was done on bosses like vezax, patchwerk, ignis, and now gormok.

if your concern is telling the dps where to stand, they should always be behind the boss regardless, even if they don't parry haste. they're reducing their dps otherwise. anything less...would be uncivilized...

Gormok was definitely a special case. Stomp on a short cast time, impale being an instant, him not suffering form the gcd apparently. Snobolds running wild. There was already a ton of rng in that fight.

We wiped a few times from snobolds throwing fire on the tanks in heroic. And since it leaves a dot in heroic it's just extra damage that needs to be healed through. Oh we also had a fun attempt where he snobolded both tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwar View Post
    Some people will blame this on the tank because the tank had the boss facing them. /facepalm
    Well sometimes they are right, noob tanks do move bosses at the most inconvenient times and the weirdest ways. In that case, the DPS is dead right, that is they are correct AND dead, because of course they are rooted to the spot and can't react. They are too busy stroking their DPS epeen.

+ Reply to Thread