+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Twin Valkyrs (Hard Mode)

Coliseum Twin Valkyrs (Hard Mode)

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend
    Hi, This is darksend and welcome to the TankSpot Crusader's Coliseum raid guide! in this video I will cover the strategy we use for the 25 man heroic version of The Twin Valkyr encounter.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right to be automatically notified as we release movies.

The twins gain no new abilities on heroic difficulty. Instead you must deal with a significant increase in the number of orbs that spawn. The orbs now deal approximately 15K damage before resist if picked up by a player of the wrong atunement. In addition, the shared hp pool of the twins is increased to just over 39 million (up from just under 28 million), the shield now absorbs 1.2 million damage before breaking and allowing you to interrupt the heal (up from 700K), the constant aoe pulse now deals 4500 damage before resists every 2 seconds (up from 2500), and finally, the touch of darkness and the touch of light now deal 6K damage every 2 seconds (up from 3K) for 20 seconds. Even though changing atunements will immediately remove this debuff, we found it better to simply heal through the damage rather than take the DPS loss of having that person click two different portals half way across the room.

We found that the best way to deal with the increased hp and shield strength is to tank them on top of each other. This allows for cleave damage to be constantly hitting them. It also allows for quick swaps during shields. It is a very strict enrage timer and even if a single heal gets off it could mean a wipe to that enrage.

The way we deal with orbs is to attune all but 2 ranged to light and assign each one to one of the 8 points on the floor. They are to pick up all the light orbs in that area. 2 warlocks will attune dark and use demonic portal to catch as many dark orbs as possible to protect the other 6 ranged players.

as you just saw The first special used on this attempt was dark vortex. This is the easiest special to deal with using this strategy. Not only does it mean that healers do not have to move but by the time the ranged switch they have already eliminated most of the white orbs leaving only a few for melee and healers to dodge.

The next special was dark shield. This is the hardest one for us to deal with using this strategy because of the configuration of the ranged. we have 10 dps atunted to dark but only 6 atuened light. we save all 2 and 3 minute cooldowns such as trinkets for the first dark shield. Rogues continue to attack lightbane and use blade flurry and do full damage to darkbane despite being dark atunted. We do not have anyone switch atunements, we found the dps loss from running to portals and back cannot be made up for by the difference in doing half damage verses 50% more damage for such a short period of time. During dark shield it is important for the tank healers to switch to the lightbane tank and for that tank to use cooldowns as lightbane will dual wield for the entire duration of the dark shield and vice versa during light shield.

Light vortex is much more difficult than dark vortex. First, the healers are almost all moving at this point. Second, when learning this encounter we originally had every single ranged as light. we would constantly have 0 light orbs up and an abundance of dark orbs around the perimeter of the room. The only time dark orbs were ever being picked up is if they happened to randomly float into melee. It was as that point that we decided to have 2 ranged constantly cleaning up dark orbs. Even though excessive dark orbs during light vortex still remains a problem by having a paladin with aura master use it with shadow aura and bubble-divine sacing the raid that we were finally able to get through it cleanly with consistency. (I suspect that if you reverse our strat and use ranged at dark and melee as light you would see an exact reversal of the difficulty of light and dark vortexes)

We always use heroism on the second shield, even if as in this case it is a light shield. At this point we know cooldowns will be back up for a third one, (unless we get 3 shields in a row in which the third one is dark in which case we chalk it up to bad luck and try again). We almost never have problems with light shields even in the absence of heroism and cooldowns. Again make sure all lightbane tank healers switch to the darkbane tank for the duration of the shield and that the darkbane tank uses some kind of cooldown.
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 08:38 AM.

At squirrels request:

HEROIC CHANGES:
    • HP increased from 28 million to 39 million
    • more orbs spawning each doing more damage
    • Dark and Light shields which prevent heal interrupt now take 1.2 million damage to break (up from 700K)
    • Dark Surge and Light Surge now tick for 4500 every 2 seconds (up from 2500)
    • Touch of Light and Touch of Darkness now tick for 6K every 2 seconds (up from 3K) for 20 seconds

First shield:

• All 2 and 3 minute cooldowns
    • Tank healers switch to the non-shielded twins target, that tank needs a cooldown

Second shield:
    • Heroism/bloodlust
    • No trinkets or other 2 and 3 minute cooldowns
    • Tank healers switch to the non-shielded twins target, that tank needs a cooldown

Light vortex:
    • Bubble-Divine Sacrifice the raid
    • Shadow aura aura mastery

Dark Vortex:
    • Make sure to switch if you are a ranged and not keep gathering orbs during it
    • Easiest of all the abilities

Key points:
    • Spread out range before the pull
    • Do not change colors for shields, just break the shield immediately
    • Heal through touches do not change color just keep DPSing
    • 6 minute enrage (or just after the 8th special)
    Last edited by Darksend; 09-13-2009 at 01:00 AM.

hrm, so in 10 mans do you think not switching colors and purely burning is enough to take down the shield because my guild couldn't get it even with bloodlust =T

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

It all depends on your raid makeup. Do you have melee on one ranged on another or do you split them 50/50?

The buff that the twin gets while the other twin has the shield up, does that happen regardless of distance apart or will it not happen if far enough away? We've done them every week on normal 10 man since they were available but it never mattered enough to figure it out.

this worked great for us on 10m hard tonight.

Thanks for the bullet pointing, but if I may nitpick. You mentioned a strict enrage timer in the video, but what is it exactly? And can you put it in the bullet points =p.

Seeing how tightly the dps is tuned on all of H-ToC so far, it'd be a great help in planning if your raid is ready for it I think (sadly we still need to get past beasts).

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Thanks for the bullet pointing, but if I may nitpick. You mentioned a strict enrage timer in the video, but what is it exactly? And can you put it in the bullet points =p.

Seeing how tightly the dps is tuned on all of H-ToC so far, it'd be a great help in planning if your raid is ready for it I think (sadly we still need to get past beasts).

done

Much thanks.

Strategy Coliseum Twin Valkyrs (Hard Mode)

So we are trying to get the 10 player Heroic done before doing 25 player versions. We tried this strat and variations of it on 10 player and ultimately got overwhelmed with orbs or were behind on the enrage timer. Any specific tips for 10 man would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Shivan; 09-16-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Orb damage is not nearly as dangerous in 10-heroic. We've been better off ignoring them and healing through the maelstrom, and just using a pure burn strategy.

-Splug

Thanks we will try that tonight

Rogues continue to attack lightbane and use blade flurry and do full damage to darkbane despite being dark atunted.
    This does not work for myself(Arms warrior). Sweeping Strikes, bladestorm(shows up as whirlwind), and cleave are all are not getting the bonus damage from me being Light attuned and attacking the Dark twin. The splash damage from cleave, sweeping, and bladestorm is NOT getting the bonus damage while I continue to target the Dark twin. To clarify, the splash damage that hits the Light twin is suffering the 50% reduced because I am light attuned.

Our combat rogue, blood DK both reported the same thing, that bladeflurry and heartstrike were NOT getting bonus damage.

Has there been a recent fix for the encounter? To stop the cleave strat. Anyone experienced the same?
    Last edited by Brummer; 09-18-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Can anyone 100% confirm that your color aura does/doesn't affect damage done to the SHIELD?

I am under the impression that the aura color only affects damage done to a TWIN. The actual damage to the SHIELD is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargent View Post
    Can anyone 100% confirm that your color aura does/doesn't affect damage done to the SHIELD?

I am under the impression that the aura color only affects damage done to a TWIN. The actual damage to the SHIELD is different.
    The ABSORBS from the twins shield do take into account your light/dark essence. I looked through logs a little bit ago to see a shadow priest with light essence hitting darkbane for ~2700 mindflay ticks. Lightbane casted her shield, the shadow priest did not change auras and the mind flay was getting absorbed for ~900 a tick on Lightbane. The damage bonus/nerf according to Thottbot is +/- 50%, so 2700*2/3 = 1800 base mind flay ticks.

1800*0.5 = 900
    1800*1.5 = 2700

I can post excerpts from the log if you want.

Riad Composition

What was the breakdown of Ranged Vs Melee in this encounter.

"The way we deal with orbs is to attune all but 2 ranged to light and assign each one to one of the 8 points on the floor. They are to pick up all the light orbs in that area. 2 warlocks will attune dark and use demonic portal to catch as many dark orbs as possible to protect the other 6 ranged players."

We planned on rollin with:
    2 Tanks
    7 Healers
    9 Ranged
    7 Melee

According to the strategy here it looks like you have 8 WHITE Ranged Catchers and 2 DARK Catchers (Warlocks).
    Where are your healers or do you count them as ranged? What color do they take?

DPS breakdown for you was "10 dps attuned dark but only 6 attuned light"
    Last edited by dcwarcraft; 09-29-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: More Info

Quote Originally Posted by Brummer View Post
    This does not work for myself(Arms warrior). Sweeping Strikes, bladestorm(shows up as whirlwind), and cleave are all are not getting the bonus damage from me being Light attuned and attacking the Dark twin. The splash damage from cleave, sweeping, and bladestorm is NOT getting the bonus damage while I continue to target the Dark twin. To clarify, the splash damage that hits the Light twin is suffering the 50% reduced because I am light attuned.

Our combat rogue, blood DK both reported the same thing, that bladeflurry and heartstrike were NOT getting bonus damage.

Has there been a recent fix for the encounter? To stop the cleave strat. Anyone experienced the same?
    After reading this I went and did some analyzing of our logs. I can confirm that Blade Flurry damage is being halved on the same colored twin.

Code:
    [20:56:43.694] Vegil Eviscerate Fjola Lightbane *17762*
    [20:56:43.709] Vegil crits Fjola Lightbane *5239*
    [20:56:44.413] Vegil Eviscerate Fjola Lightbane 2098
    [20:56:44.803] Vegil crits Fjola Lightbane *5518*
    [20:56:45.022] Vegil hits Fjola Lightbane 799
    -----------------------------------------------------
    [20:56:44.366] Vegil Blade Flurry Eydis Darkbane 8881
    [20:56:44.709] Vegil Blade Flurry Eydis Darkbane 2620
    [20:56:45.100] Vegil Blade Flurry Eydis Darkbane 1049
    [20:56:45.772] Vegil's Blade Flurry fades
    [20:56:45.928] Vegil Blade Flurry Eydis Darkbane 2759
    [20:56:45.928] Vegil Blade Flurry Eydis Darkbane 399
    This was the best example of non-absorbed blade flurry damage I could find to illustrate the proof. You can clearly see the huge initial crit and the following hits, ending with a much smaller hit, all being halved on the other twin.
    Last edited by Rak; 09-29-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

I was wondering if it is possible for 10 TOGC to run this setup:

1 TANK
    3 HEALS
    6 DPS

Is the incoming tank dmg too high to single tank them. As far as i can see tank takes minimal dmg when either of the twins is doing there special abilities unless its a nova of the opposite essence the tank has.

Quote Originally Posted by Barogorn View Post
    I was wondering if it is possible for 10 TOGC to run this setup:

1 TANK
    3 HEALS
    6 DPS

Is the incoming tank dmg too high to single tank them. As far as i can see tank takes minimal dmg when either of the twins is doing there special abilities unless its a nova of the opposite essence the tank has.
    This is very posible this is how we clear it on 10m every week in my guild and an easy way to get salt and pepper.

+ Reply to Thread