+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the next step?

What is the next step?

First of all here is the armory link: The World of Warcraft Armory

I don't know if it will show stuff right but i have 4/5 Deadly pieces except chest and generally stats are: 359 resi, 23.5 crit

Now i was thinking of buying the new PvP trinket with 108 resilience but i don't know if it would be better to replace some other parts first. This is where i need your advice. What what items should i try to acquire next? Arena is not an option yet both because of gear and experience lack. I can however easily grind honor and Wintergrasp items are also not a problem. My goal is to have a decent enough gear to be able to compete in arena 2v2 and maybe 3v3 as an Arms specced warrior. Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Bloodwraith; 09-11-2009 at 12:48 PM.

I'm doing the same thing right now, gearing up for some Arena, and I'll pass along the same advice that was given me: don't be afraid to start doing some Arena - even if you're terrible, you're still getting more than you would be if you weren't doing it at all, and you'll get experience as you do it.

Other than that, the few things I've noticed as I've started doing more PvP is that:

1) Talents like Second Wind and Blood Craze are incredibly useful, and I would recommend grabbing them (especially since you'll be stunned and crit pretty often). Since I mainly tank, the 10% and 6% didn't look all that impressive at first, especially in dps gear, but Gladiator gear gives a lot of Stamina, and players don't hit like Raid bosses (usually ;-) ) - it adds up.
    2) If you're not already using them, look at some of the key binding guides here on tankspot, such as http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...binds-you.html. Since I started using some key bindings and macros, it's been much, much easier to stance dance, get my CD's out quick, move and fight at the same time, etc. It's now unusual to NOT be in the top half of killing blows and Honor Kills in a BG, instead of the other way around. It takes getting used to
    3) Resilience is your friend. I had never used Resilience much, since I never had much of a PvP set, but now that I've actually started putting together a set, I've noticed the benefits of it. Just keep buying the best Gladiator gear you can get, and then worry about swapping in some random PvE pieces later if necessary.

Hope that helps you some! I'm still new to this too, so others will probably have some more useful tips for you, but just thought I'd throw out a few things I've noticed so far.

Good luck!

Lots of honor farming ahead of you. I would think the upgraded PvP trinket would be one of the largest resil upgrades for the cheapest amount so it is a good place to start. With honor you can buy all deadly gear and accessories now. You can also get the core deadly pieces with conquest badges so you should do that. I will tell you that full deadly gear IS enough to get decent ratings in arena. Eravian is right though. Do arena. Start now even if you are absolutely terrible because you don't lose rating until you have farmed yourself up to around 1500 rating which will give you points and gear to unlock. The practice is really where its at.

Agree with Eravian, just get started! If you die while your healer is CC'd, you could buy an item with more resilience. If you survive but can't output any real pressure, get more crit/arp and so on.

The PvP trinket is fairly expensive, and most warriors don't seem to use it. Consider the Titan Forged rune instead.
    Last edited by Andomar; 09-13-2009 at 04:11 AM.

With regards to the trinket. Im just getting into arenas again and have around 600 resil with almost all hateful gear.

Do I need more resiliance? (aka should i upgrade to the newer trinket)

Should I bother with deadly or wait and get arena rating to purchase the new stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by cael View Post
    With regards to the trinket. Im just getting into arenas again and have around 600 resil with almost all hateful gear.

Do I need more resiliance? (aka should i upgrade to the newer trinket)

Should I bother with deadly or wait and get arena rating to purchase the new stuff?
    Start honor farming and as you get the honor to buy pieces make a decision on what you want to get. Good pvp accessories are better than most pve items (not always, but generally speaking). If you do not have an arena team then you should probably spend the honor on your weakest accessories and then your weakest deadly pieces. When you do get arena teams you will want to buy the Relentless accessories as they are absolutely awesome. It will still very much be worth it to upgrade to full deadly even if you have the arena rating to buy relentless gear. No sense sitting in hateful when you dont have to.

As for resillience, warriors tend to make a whole lot of very different decisions on that based off of your bracket, team comp, and overall gear quality. Some guys will sit in 500ish resil BUT that is after they have thrown on several pieces of PvE gear to reach the Armor Pen cap. In this case they sacrifice survival for significant damage increases and they trust their healer is capable of keeping them alive in that state. I would not recommend you do this until you are in at least full deadly. That means sitting around ~700 resil would probably be a good number but if your healer isn't very experienced then more can't hurt ya too much.

The best way to get gear is to make an arena team and play 10 games a week. If you're ranked below 1500 rating you still get arena points as if you were rated 1500! So play 10 games. Remember you get more points for 3s and even more from 5s.

Uh, lots of good pointers here, but unfortunately not all the well intended advice here is valid.

Firstly, I'll say it out loud, I'm not a Gladiator. I sit around 2100 rating (mmr) in 2s and 3s. But I'm an avid reader of AJ (arenajunkies) and have been pvping with several warriors since the very first day of s1. I'll try to draw a basic outline of what you need to know, anyone who'd like to know any more about this find the warrior forums at AJ, it's pretty much the majority of good warriors' opinions and research I'll give an intro of:

As already pointed out, get a team (5v5 is more rating) and start playing! You get points for 1500 rating even tho you got say... 250 rating :P

Basic Gearing
    >
    You want 100% armor pen. We will achieve this with 50% and a trinket proc. Simplified math: Battlestance 10% Gear 40% (if not 40 on gear get mace for +15%) trinket proc 50% = 100%. (Grim Toll or Mjolnir Runestone does the trick.)
    > In the gear I describe below you'll end up at a decent resilience and hp, dont think too much about these stats.
    > Gem armor pen until you are at 40% when you hover your hit (25 if mace) After this gem strength.
    > Less than 10% of decent warriors run with the standard resilience pvp trinket. Get the WG one. We generally value damage over resilience, but as earlier stated, it will depend on your team comp. For 2v2, if you play with any healer you will want more str/ap/arp over more resilience.
    IF you can't get a Grim Toll or Mjolnir Runestone, you're shit out of luck. It's still possible to get good ratings but it will certainly be alot harder, trust me you can actually kill paladins alone with it.. If you can't get it, go with Greatness or a Battlemasters with attackpower.

1. Gearing for the first time in s7
    -Grab deadly mainpieces (the 5p set) for emblems.
    -Get either t8.5 head or chest (emblems or raids) OR t9/9.5 if access, get the crit+arp pieces. (No more than 1 of them with your 4 deadly if you're not particularily experienced.)
    -Get the pvp neck and the WG ring with armor pen.
    -Other offpieces: Make sure your hit is ok, if you chose to go Grim Toll, 1 pvp piece with hit (of victory) is sufficient coupled with a hit gem. Just make sure your hit is at 164 (5% cap for most targets.. NE, frostmages etc will still be missed some percents of the time)

As of incoming patch 3.2.2 armor pen is nerfed and we will need more to reach 100%, most warriors will still use armor pen as it is practically a nesseccity of our class the way the game is right now. Mace is ideal for players not having access to 2x tier9/9,5 bonus.

Weapon:
    Generally use whatever 2hander you have that yields the highest itemlevel. Most high end warriors use the pvp axe, some the mace depending on needs and comp. As of 3.2.2 swords are buffed so generally players who can afford the loss of stats (think crit or arp from axe/mace as a stat) might go sword depending on preferances. I would not reccomend sword if you're at a full deadly gear set. In short words: If you got the arp, get axe, if not get the mace (even if it gets you above 50%, passive doesnt hurt)

Wintergrasp pieces worth mentioning:
    If you got the time, relentless honor pieces are superios to wg ones. That said, the wg ring is furious ilvl and you can only wear 1 relentless ring, no-brainer here. The legs are as good as furious. If you dont go grim toll get the legs from wg for hit over the deadly ones (consider the 4p pvp set bonus on your own if you use a tier piece, preferences) The tinket is as stated considered best in slot in terms of "removing stuns/cc" trinket. Head and chest, belt and boots are all inferior for warriors not needing hit, dont go there.

Thanks for all the replies guys they have been very helpful especially the last one its like a guide to what to do. Have already updated some stuff will try to work on that arena team, had no idea you get points equal to 1500 rating -_-

+ Reply to Thread