+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To proc, or not to proc, that is the question.

To proc, or not to proc, that is the question.

Okay, so I've had this very discussion with a myriad of individuals, and I'm still not convinced.

The argument goes as such: Which is a better weapon enchant?

Major Agility- +35 agility Enchant 2H Weapon - Major Agility - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Mongoose- chance on hit +120 agi & 2% haste Enchant Weapon - Mongoose - Spell - World of Warcraft

Here's my theory... I'm not an idiot, I understand that 120 agi is greater than 35 agility. I understand that overtime, the proc rating on Mongoose delivers more dodge over the course of a fight.

However, my thought on it is this: If my /roll is any indication of my luck, then I'd prefer the static dodge over the chance on proc. When the "shit's hitting the fan" and I've got to hold out for another 30 seconds, all my cooldowns are popped, do I want to hope that my mongoose procs too, or know that I have +35 agi already on my weapon? In this situation, is it better to NOT have the +35 agility and hope that my Mongoose procs, or to have the static agility to know exactly where my dodge is at?

It's one thing to have a "use" item, such as the Valor Medal of the First War Valor Medal of the First War - Item - World of Warcraft, which should be macroed to your "oh shit" button anyways, but you can't macro in a guarenteed Mongoose proc, no matter the "amazing" proc percentage.

So, my question posed to everyone is, "To proc, or not to proc?"

Personally, I say No to proc and prefer the static dodge in a bad situation.
    Never underestimate the butterfly, especially if he's in epix ;D
    Healing Priest to Tanking Druid, bear with me here

The other argument to this, after rereading my post, is I'm sure everyone is thinking "but what if it DOES proc, and you now have an added 85 agi than what you would have had in a bad situation".

I tend to err on the side of caution. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's just a frame of mind.

What do you think?

Just to make your life a bit more hellish..
    Proc rate. would you prefer an awesome proc that happens rarely, or a small proc that occurs frequently.

Although I initially went with "static" gains, I have over time come to accept procs, assuming they happen often enough. In the case of mongoose, if it is a boss that NEEDS the extra dodge, yes, the chances of it proccing when you need it, like a soft enrage, are not very good, BUT, when it *did* proc 4 times earlier you did save your healer some mana and/or attention, which could have saved a DPS at a critical moment, or at the worst saved mana for the soft enrage when you do need it. Or you eliminated the need to pop a CD which is now available. Yes it is playing the what if game, but in a boss fight it is long enough that it does have an effect, and only slightly better than a constant 35 agi. However, that extra little bit is what we chase after sometimes.

Very valid points.

And someone made another good point, that regardless of whether or not it's +35 agi or +120 agi, it's still a CHANCE to dodge. So if you're sitting at 45% dodge, it's irrelevant whether or not it procs because it's still a 45% chance to to dodge.

I think I summerized what he said pretty well... it made sense when he said it anyways lol.

Basically, my point is that it's too many chances to be relied upon. I still would rather see my dodge, which is around a steady 47% with my Idol of Mutilation - Item - World of Warcraft constantly proc'ing, and at 45.009% self-buffed, and know where I need to improve if I'm not dodging the big hits like I need to, than guess whether or not it was just a missed proc that should have saved me or any other contributing factors.

And yes, I'd rather a lot of small procs that occur frequently (ie my idol) than the latter.

If your tanking with a twohander and it doesnt have stoneskin gargoyle, dont you already fail regardless?

Mongoose is better under every conceivable situation.

You can't rely on a dodge "when the shit hits the fan" any more than you can rely on a proc.

In fact, I believe the proc chance is probably greater than the added chance to dodge from 35 agility, haven't done the math yet.

Having more avoidance and armor throughout the course of the fight is more likely to keep the "shit from hitting the fan."

It's not even close.

Edit: With blessing of kings, 35agi x 0.0248206% = .86% Dodge (less than 1%). Mongoose is a 1 proc per minute enchant, the formula is PPM x WepSpeed / 60, so with Tiwsted Visage, for example, 2.40 weapon speed: 1ppm x 2.4speed / 60 = 4% chance to proc.

In short, a weapon enchant is not an "oh shit" button. Mongoose all the way.
    Last edited by Ukk; 09-10-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnly View Post
    If your tanking with a twohander and it doesnt have stoneskin gargoyle, dont you already fail regardless?

Isn't there a one month member rule before you can post stupid responses on other people's posts?

Please keep the forum relevant.

And thank you for your insight Ukk, definitely something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnly View Post
    I'm going to assume that he's taking with a bear. Then I'm going to read his signature and confirm it.

+ Reply to Thread