+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: DK tanking spec question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6

    DK tanking spec question

    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

    I was wondering about toying with this spec for a more TPS based spec. Any thoughts on it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    284
    It'd work but I don't like tank specs which do not have Imp icy touch, since you can reliably apply that haste-debuff even if everyone else has run off to kill something else.
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    242
    agreed. I never forgo 3/3 in imp. IT.

    and no death rune mastery? I suppose that's viable, but part of the appeal of blood, i always felt, was the ability to have 4 death runes on your plate on the 2nd stretch of your rotation. i'm not sure if 4/5 necrosis makes up for the utility of a 4-death rune rotation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Yeah I was playing with it last couple of nights. It really was only on average a 200-400 TPS increase. Next up I was going to try the Death rune mastery. I am still fairly new to DK tanking and loving the blood spec. I gave DW tanking a try but in the end I still like the survival of Blood tanking. Maybe with 3.2.2 it will be better Runic strike affected by both weapons.

    Thanks for the imput though

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    You don't need Scent of Blood unless you are overdumping Death Coils. Subversion and Death Rune Mastery are primo threat talents, Heart Strike / Rune Strike are the bread and butter of blood TPS. Drop Imp. Death and Decay for Imp. Death Coil, especially with Morbidity and Sudden Death.

    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

    Is maximum threat with very little missed survivability, and is perfectly fine for virtually everything in the game.

    Rotation is simple - ds - ps - it - hs - hs - hs - hs - empower - hs - hs - ds - ps - it on the opener, and then repeat sans empower, with Rune Strikes in between.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    You don't need Scent of Blood unless you are overdumping Death Coils. Subversion and Death Rune Mastery are primo threat talents, Heart Strike / Rune Strike are the bread and butter of blood TPS. Drop Imp. Death and Decay for Imp. Death Coil, especially with Morbidity and Sudden Death.

    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

    Is maximum threat with very little missed survivability, and is perfectly fine for virtually everything in the game.

    Rotation is simple - ds - ps - it - hs - hs - hs - hs - empower - hs - hs - ds - ps - it on the opener, and then repeat sans empower, with Rune Strikes in between.

    yeah that's what i was thinking too. picking up sudden doom with a HS x6 rotation cycle would generate more threat over time than morbidity would on it's own. that extra DC is instant too, no work involved. very nice talent.

    if threat is your main concern with a blood tanking build, then I approve of Edge's build. drop blood tap and SoB, fill out necrosis, and get death rune mastery and sudden doom.
    Last edited by lyd; 09-11-2009 at 07:29 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    284
    Guys, that's more like a dps build than a tank build!
    It'd be a sad day in tanking if you had to give up that many survival talents like in Edge's build.
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    242
    lol, I would never take that build personally. but if he REALLY wants to maximize threat...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityDK View Post
    Guys, that's more like a dps build than a tank build!
    It'd be a sad day in tanking if you had to give up that many survival talents like in Edge's build.
    You give up Will of the Necropolis and Imp. Icy Touch which is generally overblown as far as overall effectiveness goes.
    Not really that different than a standard build.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    284
    and it doesn't have Imp Rune Tap either...
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityDK View Post
    and it doesn't have Imp Rune Tap either...
    I don't have Imp. Rune Tap in any of my builds. Most high end DK's don't.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Midwest US
    Posts
    29
    I would think the opposite would be true, as our health increases, imp RT heals for more and produces more threat. But some DKs leave it out because they don't like having yet another reactive ability or aren't fast enough to make use of it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferfey View Post
    I would think the opposite would be true, as our health increases, imp RT heals for more and produces more threat. But some DKs leave it out because they don't like having yet another reactive ability or aren't fast enough to make use of it.
    Or you rarely have the blood runes up to use it, especially as threat becomes more difficult to produce and DPS requirements become higher. It has it's place, but that place is generally 10 mans.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    I don't have Imp. Rune Tap in any of my builds. Most high end DK's don't.
    You, from your posts, but a much higher priority on threat. I'd not extend that to a blanket comment of 'most high end' folks, however.

    Ultimately the question is what you need. If you're not threat capping a raid or pushing DPS timers, hard modes and/or enrages, Imp Rune Tap is very useful. On the other hand, if all you care about is maximizing threat, IRT is a talent set you can forego. I personally find the reactivity of a 10k self heal to be more useful, based on where my raid groups' progression.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Nothing to do with personal preference, more of a study of what other DK's are speccing. ToC 25 has 2 fights that can ultimately result in tank death, N.Beasts and Anubarak.
    On Anub you are either a tank that is picking up fresh mobs on a tight DPS timer and don't have the runes to waste on predictable damage, or going to die solely in a melee/swarm/ice slash, in which case you can't use abilities regardless.
    For beasts, the same is virtually true. If you die to Gormakk you probably improperly used cooldowns and were instantly gibbed, if you die to Icehowl you died in a melee/ferocious butt combo and couldnt use blood tap either way.

    It's really easy to get high healing numbers with DS and tap, but it's a lot harder to use it in a way that's effective, especially considering the 4 point investment.

    Edit - for 10 mans, for Ulduar, for lower RDPS requirement fights, it certainly has its uses, I'm not arguing that. I just refuse to throw it in the same category as vamp blood or imp. icy touch when people talk about survivability cooldowns

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    Interesting spec, but as stated above, Scent of Blood will not be a big value, and generally speaking if you're focusing on Blood, Subversion and DRM used to spam the daylights out of HS will make for major threat value.

    Imp Rune Tap would be the last of the three Survival talents you take (the other two being Spell Deflection and WotN) but you could easily make an argument for one of the other two instead. My point is, however, if you want a threat oriented spec, you can drop one or two of those three to actually fully realize the beastly synergy of Blood.

    What level of raiding are we talking about tanking that you want to use this spec for?
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    242
    I can see where Edgewalker is coming from. at the edge of end-game progression, you can get bosses pounding you for 25k-30k at a time. a 10k rune tap seems paltry at best when you're relying on your healers to constantly bomb you back to full health anyway.

    i used to swear by it to the point where I gave up some dodge from talents to spec into it from a deep frost build. I eventually gave it up because I couldn't justify spec'ing that many points in blood once the SoB change went through and I started taking that instead. but pre toc-heroic content I did find it quite useful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by lyd View Post
    I can see where Edgewalker is coming from. at the edge of end-game progression, you can get bosses pounding you for 25k-30k at a time. a 10k rune tap seems paltry at best when you're relying on your healers to constantly bomb you back to full health anyway.

    i used to swear by it to the point where I gave up some dodge from talents to spec into it from a deep frost build. I eventually gave it up because I couldn't justify spec'ing that many points in blood once the SoB change went through and I started taking that instead. but pre toc-heroic content I did find it quite useful.
    Exactly my point. It's awesome for 5 mans - 10 mans to easier 25 man raiding. Past that your own survivability starts to get out of your hands, and other talents become much more attractive.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,930
    Quote Originally Posted by lyd View Post
    I can see where Edgewalker is coming from. at the edge of end-game progression, you can get bosses pounding you for 25k-30k at a time. a 10k rune tap seems paltry at best when you're relying on your healers to constantly bomb you back to full health anyway.
    See that's funny, I just read that:

    "What good is healing 30-50% of the incoming damage yourself when you're just relying on your healers to fill you back up?"
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    See that's funny, I just read that:

    "What good is healing 30-50% of the incoming damage yourself when you're just relying on your healers to fill you back up?"
    Because that's simply not how it works in 25 man heroics, which is what we are both talking about. You can't sit around with a blood rune and wait for the right time to use it (if you CAN use it, since the most dangerous bosses stun), and you are getting constantly spammed uncancelled heals regardless so haphazardly using it is generally a waste.
    If Rune Tap didnt cost a blood rune this would be a totally different conversation, but it does.
    I could see limited application of it in a few situations.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts