+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gormok Hard and Parries

Gormok Hard and Parries

I need some help solving a disagreement between myself and my guild leadership on what happens when a boss parries your attack. Specifically what happens on Hardmode Gormok.

My guild leadership is suggesting that stacking expertise will help prevent tanks from dieing on Gormok. They suggest that when a boss (not specifically Gormok) parries a attack it sets the boss' swing timer to 0, causing him to instantly auto attack the tank, then he gains a haste effect making the next swing come faster. For Gormok's case they claim that though the haste effect has been disabled (per hotfix notes), his swing timer is still set to 0 upon parrying a attack. Thus causing burst that is killing us tanks.

My response to this is that they are misunderstanding what happens when a boss parries an attack. I suggest that for most bosses a parry of a attack will cause a haste buff on the boss causing its next attack to come faster, but that is all it will do. And for a select few hard hitting bosses, such as Brutallus, Patchwerk, Gormok, etc, this haste effect has been disabled. So, in the case of Gormok (normal and hardmode) when he parries an attack he does not gain a buff of any kind. Thus, gearing for additional expertise for this fight will only help the tanks produce more threat and nothing more.

Who is correct?

Yes, Gormok should NOT have parry haste enabled. Though for a time, Blizz left it on by accident and we experienced this in ToC10 hard mode.

When boss parries attack his attack speed is increased by 40%, i never heard that anyone would auto autoattack after parry. If this was correct following (nightmare) scenario would happen:

0000: boss hit auto 20k
    0010: you attack
    0010: boss parry
    0010: boss hit auto 20k, boss parry hasted 40%
    0200: you hit special attack (whatever)
    1200: boss hit auto 20k
    1210: you splat

Time in ms, everage boss timer for hit 2 sec, you eat 60k in 1 sec, you win.

What is happening should be:
    0050: you attack
    0050: boss parry
    0050: boss parry hasted 40%
    1250: boss hit auto 20k
    2200: you hit boss(whatever)
    3250: boss hit auto 20k

Time in ms, everage boss timer for hit 2 sec.

As for Impaler:

0050: you attack
    0050: boss parry
    2000: boss hit auto 20k
    2200: you hit boss(whatever)
    4000: boss hit auto 20k

To answer your question you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Haur View Post
    When boss parries attack his attack speed is increased by 40%
    Almost. The amount of hasting depends on current position of the boss's swing timer. If I remember correctly its

Above 60% of swing timer left, 40% haste.
    Between 20% and 60%, haste added such that only 20% remains
    Under 20%, no effect.

In any case every parry nets (on average) an extra .24 swings.

Off topic? Yes.
    Semi-relevant? Maybe.

As said before, there is no extra auto-attack, just the haste part which is dependant on the current position of the boss's swing timer.

I'm guessing this discussion came up because tanks are falling over.
    If you're dying from bleed+auto attacks then you're either undergeared or your healers arent paying attention.
    If it's the Impale thats killing you it's entirely your fault.
    You have cooldowns, use them.
    In a 3 tank rotation Last stand can be used for impale 1 & 2 and Shield Wall for 3 & 4.
    Just time them right and get rid of the myth that warriors cant tank Gormok

Gormok does not parry haste. Many other bosses do parry haste. For Gormok, stacking Expertise gives you nothing but extra threat. For many other bosses, it also reduces your damage intake.

+ Reply to Thread