+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvProt weapons - broad vs narrow weapon damage

PvProt weapons - broad vs narrow weapon damage

Hai. Started a 2v2 today with a druid, aiming for 1800 to 1900 rating. Now I know this is a few weeks into the future (if ever we get there ), but what is optimal in terms of weapon damage?

As a human warrior, I got two viable options; the mace and sword (subsidiary question: does expertise affect PvP?).

Mace: Relentless Gladiator's Pummeler - Item - World of Warcraft (the axe is equal to this one)
    -
    Sword: Relentless Gladiator's Slicer - Item - World of Warcraft

The sword got a neglegible amount of DPS more than the mace, other than that their weapon low and topend damage are the only things that separate them. The benefit I see in the mace is higher white crits than the sword gives, thus yielding more rage. However, with 10-15% crit being the average crit this benefit will not be alltogether too great. Also, I do not know if ArP benefits hard hitters over weapons hitting less hard, leaving a more narrow damage range better. Most prot warrior, including me, ignores this stat. Can someone clarify this? The mace will give bigger devasates, a huge plus.

So far I think perhaps the mace would be better. But I don't know how damagerange plays out in 'reality'. Discuss!

On a sidenote, there is a suspicious lack of shields in the 2300 bracket of weapons. Hm. Why.

TL: DR - Wide or narrow damage range on weapon as a prot pvp warrior, assuming the weapons' DPS is equal?

For Warrior PvP Prot Arena, higher top end is better, for maximized Devastate crits. And ideally, going in with 20%+ base crit from gear, coupled with T8.5 2piece bonus (Legs and Chest ideally in this case) for Devastate crits bonus of 10%.

Gemming purely strength/crit, Titan Forged Rune of Accuracy pvp trinket + Greatness(No runestone or grim toll available), hit capped, my white crits range from 1500-2100 depending on targets armor. Devastate crits average for 4k or more. Shield slams, between 8-13k depending on cooldowns used and targets armor. Running with 28.14% ArP from gear passive.

In this scenario you're in, you want the mace. And don't ignore ArP, either. For prot pvp, gemming strength is the way to go over ArP, but doesn't mean you shouldn't look for gear, PvE or PvP, that can increase your ArP passive. If you're a human, Grim Toll + Greatness/Death's Choice is the way to go. Otherwise for any race though, you want a runestone or grim toll + pvp trinket for maximum burst.

Edit: Best Shield to go with is simply Normal or better yet, Heroic 25 ToC Shield off Northrend Beasts (Forlorn Barrier/Crystal Plated Vanguard). Otherwise, The Skull of Ruin, or Borreal Guard with 2 +20 STR gems. Of course, Furious or Relentless Shield is nice too, if you like being unkillable. =p

Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    For Warrior PvP Prot Arena, higher top end is better, for maximized Devastate crits. And ideally, going in with 20%+ base crit from gear, coupled with T8.5 2piece bonus (Legs and Chest ideally in this case) for Devastate crits bonus of 10%.

Gemming purely strength/crit, Titan Forged Rune of Accuracy pvp trinket + Greatness(No runestone or grim toll available), hit capped, my white crits range from 1500-2100 depending on targets armor. Devastate crits average for 4k or more. Shield slams, between 8-13k depending on cooldowns used and targets armor. Running with 28.14% ArP from gear passive.

In this scenario you're in, you want the mace. And don't ignore ArP, either. For prot pvp, gemming strength is the way to go over ArP, but doesn't mean you shouldn't look for gear, PvE or PvP, that can increase your ArP passive. If you're a human, Grim Toll + Greatness/Death's Choice is the way to go. Otherwise for any race though, you want a runestone or grim toll + pvp trinket for maximum burst.

Edit: Best Shield to go with is simply Normal or better yet, Heroic 25 ToC Shield off Northrend Beasts (Forlorn Barrier/Crystal Plated Vanguard). Otherwise, The Skull of Ruin, or Borreal Guard with 2 +20 STR gems. Of course, Furious or Relentless Shield is nice too, if you like being unkillable. =p
    The point that ArP is mostly ignored is because the most effective way of gearing for PvP as prot is to get block value and keep it around 2.4k. I don't say you should try not to get any, but it's only that block gear got no ArP and gems should be filled with strenght.

Why is Grim Toll better for humans?

+ Reply to Thread