+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QotD: What boss fight is the most challenging to tank?

QotD: What boss fight is the most challenging to tank?

Its been 4 years and I've tanked em all(ok, most of them). Some are easy but the fight is hard on DPS/Healers. Some are a pain in the ass but fairly simple for a decent raid.

I was thinking about this tanking the arena on Thorim last night then moving on to Freya.

I'm going to say Yogg as a ferry tank. Pull them out, weave around clouds, interrupt the shadow bolt volley thingy, get them in the center, run back.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Mimiron Hardmode.. Love the fight, very hard to tank with making sure the melee are not in the fire, move away from Lazers and Blasts, then make sure you know where the frost bombs are etc etc..

I dont think i have found a fight more challanging than that so far.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    level 80 Onyxia is the hardest fight imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Sartura in AQ40.

Next to no aggro table, and when she enraged (which was every minute iirc) she could whirlwind one shot a ton of clothies. Make sure your stuns are landing right.

Major PitA.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

I remember wiping on the brann event in halls of stone alot. (seems easy now)
    prince in kara kicked my ass alot too. lol

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    Sartura in AQ40.

Next to no aggro table, and when she enraged (which was every minute iirc) she could whirlwind one shot a ton of clothies. Make sure your stuns are landing right.

Major PitA.
    Holy crap, yes. The woodchipper chick. AQ40 was tough on alot of fights, the only problems were A.) The loot sucked until you got to Twin Emps and B.) it was bugs. I hate bugs.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

The twins fight was a lot of fun to learn; easy once mastered.

Skeram was always a crapshoot. On the split he MC's the closest target... yet taunt is a 1yrd range.... FUN!

Huhu managing threat was always difficult; un-tauntable and requiring tank swaps... lol-soaker wall!

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

XT: Managing to remain awake for that fight is harder than anything else.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Worldie View Post
    XT: Managing to remain awake for that fight is harder than anything else.
    XT's much more interesting than that old Malchezaar. At least on XT I change targets during heart phase...

I quite enjoyed drake tanking on S3D, also a fan of Twin Valkyrs fight.
    Yogg phase 1 is kinda fun looks like they forgot to make rest of the fight interesting for tanks.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Not much is very difficult to tank, or ever has been difficult to tank, but I suppose I could make a case for the Twin Valkyr's (shadow twin killed last, before the zerg) or the original BWL Drakes before they were tauntable.
    Nothing in WoTLK thus far is very difficult. Oh and original lvl 60 dead side Gothik could be a bitch sometimes.

I would have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with most of the end portion of Ulduar.

I really like the Mimiron encounter (have not done HM but still a fun toughie).

Faction champs always has the making to be a pain now. 2 weeks in a row we 2 shot it on 25 man. But last night between the sham healer, mage, spriest and DK, plus the healpriest and resto druid..... it was a bitch to get controlled and take things down. but we finally did it after like try 6? We got a few good runs in on anub, but we kept running into enrage timer, so time to bitch out the DPS lol! that is a great fight too though from what I have seen.
    The Pwnstar Puddin, Now in a Fun Sized Goblin Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnanapuddin View Post
    I would have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with most of the end portion of Ulduar.

I really like the Mimiron encounter (have not done HM but still a fun toughie).

Faction champs always has the making to be a pain now. 2 weeks in a row we 2 shot it on 25 man. But last night between the sham healer, mage, spriest and DK, plus the healpriest and resto druid..... it was a bitch to get controlled and take things down. but we finally did it after like try 6? We got a few good runs in on anub, but we kept running into enrage timer, so time to bitch out the DPS lol! that is a great fight too though from what I have seen.
    I think you missed the point.

Muru as a human add tank on the entrance door side.

/thread

and for those of you who never did muru pre nerf sorry but you will just have to trust me

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    XT's much more interesting than that old Malchezaar. At least on XT I change targets during heart phase...
    and atleast on XT you see more than a crotch and two legs...

For me it's tanking crazy cat lady when I'm assigned to interrupt: human racial + get back to melee range after her fear + ensure enough RP to mind freeze. Missing one button and having the raid wipe because of it gave me the shakes for the next 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Muru as a human add tank on the entrance door side.

/thread

and for those of you who never did muru pre nerf sorry but you will just have to trust me
    I never really thought it was that bad if you were in the proper group setup.

Note: I didn't play the game at 60, so this is Karazhan on up.

Put in another vote for M'uru door side. I learned a lot from it, more than just mashing buttons in the right order and picking up targets in the right order.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca
    Everyone marvels at a square egg, but only the chicken understands the PAIN.

Tanking the adds in Vault as a warrior tank can be challenging. Especially when more than one add gets killed at the same time. I agree with the brann event statement, but again its more of a warrior tank thing...and i certainly wouldn't want this thread to head in that direction again!

Tanking the drakes for 3D was the hardest tanking job I've ever done. I literally stopped breathing while tanking them for almost a minute, I think, and only remembered to start again when the screen started to spin. 0_o
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

+ Reply to Thread