+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior tank build

Warrior tank build

Its been awhile since Ive been in the tanking scene but with the faction change I was able to join my priest (which is what I play now) with my warrior. Ive been looking at builds and Ive come up with a slight variation to the threat build. It would be this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

What I notice others doing is to put the 3 points I have in Imp Thunderclap into Focused Rage. Are there any numbers behind doing this because on the surface I would think Imp Thunderclap would give more threat and since you aren't rage starved in a raid Focused Rage may not be as useful, or have they changed that too?

EDIT: I also wonder the importance of hit. I mean I see warrior tanks with it, but I dont see anyone gemming/enchanting for it if they are below the hit cap
    Last edited by mandoro; 09-04-2009 at 04:23 AM.

First off I'd like to note that that's my exact build perfectly (though not like there are many variations). We've enough rage if we're tanking anything slightly threatening so Focused Rage isn't that great - Shield Specialization is great because it's protection from Dodge Dodge wipe the raid - people who sacrifice 3 points from Improved Thunderclap for anything need to l2p - and don't worry about ruining your gems and picking weird gear for threat until you just start not being able to tank with vigilance on the highest threat target.

I'm not the theorycraft guy so please don't blame me for anything, but I saw some math done around here that shows Focused Rage > Imp. Shield for rage. I know that I had some problems with rage when I tried to leave Focused Rage out.

This is what I'm going to try for now:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I may try to leave Vigilance out in the future (to max DW) just to see if I can generate enough TPS without it. I hate this talent with a passion...

Quote Originally Posted by mandoro View Post
    Its been awhile since Ive been in the tanking scene but with the faction change I was able to join my priest (which is what I play now) with my warrior. Ive been looking at builds and Ive come up with a slight variation to the threat build. It would be this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

What I notice others doing is to put the 3 points I have in Imp Thunderclap into Focused Rage. Are there any numbers behind doing this because on the surface I would think Imp Thunderclap would give more threat and since you aren't rage starved in a raid Focused Rage may not be as useful, or have they changed that too?

EDIT: I also wonder the importance of hit. I mean I see warrior tanks with it, but I dont see anyone gemming/enchanting for it if they are below the hit cap
    Focused rage is more threat potential in a single target TPS situation - probably by a significant amount. Personally I take both, but Imp thunderclap would not be needed if you tanked primarily bosses and single/doubles in trash - ToC 10/25 has no trash at all.

Get hit from your gear. You want to spend your gem and enchant item points on stamina - expertise and avoidance. Most of the new badge gear has hit, you'll be getting plenty of it was you gear up. If you're alliance, you'll cap at 7% if you regularly have a drano in the raid anyway.

One of the nuances of tanking is that a build that works great for a main tank of a highly progressed guild may not be as great for a tank just starting out running heroics - or even Naxx 10/25. Some tanks tailor their build to a specific progression fight they are working on - i've done that too many times to count.

Having said that, you're build looks fine - it will work for anything I've seen to date.
    Last edited by kolben; 09-05-2009 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

Just a note on hit rating: you will notice A LOT of the TOC 25 gear (Normal and Heroic) lacks hit rating and has a crazy amount of expertise. Right now, I'm sitting at 52 expertise and 70 hit rating. Of course, I have a few pieces form TOC 10 that have hit on them...but for the most part I'm hanging pretty far below the hit cap regardless of my gear selection.

I am also at a point where I'm comfortable enough with my health pool to gem for other stats besides stam. I'm considering on gemming my yellow slots for hit/stam instead of def/stam...since I have plenty of defense to spare (sitting at 573), but I'm still doing some number crunching to see how much I'm going to lose in avoidance and if it is even remotely worth it or not.

My dual spec includes 2 tank builds...
    - A thread build
    - A survival build

Threat build - Talent Calculator - 15/3/53
    Commonly used for 5 man instances and low level raids and heroics.
    This build has more points in damaging talents and is more useful for multiple target tanking and tanking all different classes of mobs. I use this build also for pvp sometimes.

Survival build - Talent Calculator - 5/15/51
    This build i have created for single target tanking in heroic raids, e.g. at the moment; Trial of the Grand Crusader. It focuses on physical damage reduction and health points. Ofc if you use this build u need to be pro at threat gain, vigilance remains in the build to assis this. Still in the early stages of testing but any responses or feedback regarding this build would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ózy View Post
    My dual spec includes 2 tank builds...
    - A thread build
    - A survival build

Threat build - Talent Calculator - 15/3/53
    Commonly used for 5 man instances and low level raids and heroics.
    This build has more points in damaging talents and is more useful for multiple target tanking and tanking all different classes of mobs. I use this build also for pvp sometimes.

Survival build - Talent Calculator - 5/15/51
    This build i have created for single target tanking in heroic raids, e.g. at the moment; Trial of the Grand Crusader. It focuses on physical damage reduction and health points. Ofc if you use this build u need to be pro at threat gain, vigilance remains in the build to assis this. Still in the early stages of testing but any responses or feedback regarding this build would be welcome.
    My personal opinions on your two builds...
    Threat build:
    -Points in imp spell reflect are a waste since its very situational. Better spent in Gag Order (10% increase to SS dmg)
    -Points in Iron Will should be in Imp HS. Like spell reflect, Iron Will is situational, whereas HS is a great rage dump/threat skill (and this IS a threat build, after all)

Survival build: No real complaints, and is very similar to what I use for a survival build. As long as you use the last stand and shield wall glyphs to make them both a 2min cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelven View Post
    My personal opinions on your two builds...
    Threat build:
    -Points in imp spell reflect are a waste since its very situational. Better spent in Gag Order (10% increase to SS dmg)
    -Points in Iron Will should be in Imp HS. Like spell reflect, Iron Will is situational, whereas HS is a great rage dump/threat skill (and this IS a threat build, after all)

Survival build: No real complaints, and is very similar to what I use for a survival build. As long as you use the last stand and shield wall glyphs to make them both a 2min cooldown.
    I take ur point about spell reflect and gag order, an improved ss would be a better place to spend these two points. In this build i use glyph of revenge which u know gives free HS. The amount im using revenge and spammin HS makes me think i would rather spend these talent points on a situational ability (which u will find more of in lower level instances), rather than a rage reduction ability which i am already glyphed for.

+ Reply to Thread