+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Point In The Right Direction - Fury DPS / Gear

A Point In The Right Direction - Fury DPS / Gear

Hi All

I have recently started DPS'ing and have chossen the Fury route. In all honesty i really havnt got sufficient time with work and family commitments to start trawling through varying posts looking for information like i do for my Tanking spec.

Can somebody have a look at my Wow Armory link below and see if im on the right track for gear type / talents / gems / enchants.

Thanks very much all help will be gratfully received.

The World of Warcraft Armory

When i say im new to - im really new to it as you will see

Thanks again

Logged out in prot

You need to log out in your fury spec and gear , if you want suggestions on fury.

Yes, sorry - im in Fury now

Comments

18/53/0 Is the standard spec for most fury warriors. So you're on the right track. Deep wounds in arms is the only way to go. There's some flexibilty in the fury tree, depending on what you want to do. Piercing howl for pvp or gluth as an example. 5 pts in commanding shout is a large expense considering that in raid situations pally buffs will override battle shout so you might want to consider a tweak there. Considering that you're main role is dps, you should get as much into damage enhancement as possible, we've got enough problems as it is, no need to nerf ourselves in the trees. Let the buffs be handled by others. Improved berserker helps out at the onset of an engagement, Popping Bloodrage and Berserker will allow you to go in with full rage. Something to consider. Maximizing Rage is your main goal. Your rotation is simple, Bloodthirst and Whirlwind when you're able. Slam when Bloodsurge procs (Slam Alert addon is awesome), and Heroic Strike or Cleave for a rage dump depending on the encounter (HS=single or Cleave=multi mobs). Check with maxdps.com for gear progression. With Emblems of Conquest dropping everywhere you should be able to gear up very quickly. Most of the really sweet gear these days is pointing to a Crit / Armor Penetration gearout so concentrate you're gearing/rolls on that stuff. With precision (+3 to hit) and a dranei in your group (+1 to hit with heroic presence), you only need 4% (8%) hit to guarantee a hit with your "Yellow" hits (Bloodthirst - Whirlwind etc...). Then 6% expertise to ensure you're not block/dodge/parried (Making sure you're always hitting from behind). With all this in mind you should be able to pull out 2 to 2.2 k dps soloing, and 3 to 3.8k raiding once you get naxx / conquest geared (depending on your ability to land the rotation). Like I said, Maxdps can suggest some upgrades. So to summarize. Gear, Enchant and Gem yourself to hit 8% hit, then 6% expertise, then 4k+ attack power, then crit and armor penetration as high as you can, in that order. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Brachius; 09-07-2009 at 05:34 AM.

1) Wrong forum, will move to appropriate forum.

2) Might want to space out your replies Brachius, wall of texts are very difficult to follow with the eyes.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Brachius View Post
    18/53/0 Is the standard spec for most fury warriors. So you're on the right track. Deep wounds in arms is the only way to go. There's some flexibilty in the fury tree, depending on what you want to do. Piercing howl for pvp or gluth as an example. 5 pts in commanding shout is a large expense considering that in raid situations pally buffs will override battle shout so you might want to consider a tweak there. Considering that you're main role is dps, you should get as much into damage enhancement as possible, we've got enough problems as it is, no need to nerf ourselves in the trees. Let the buffs be handled by others. Improved berserker helps out at the onset of an engagement, Popping Bloodrage and Berserker will allow you to go in with full rage. Something to consider. Maximizing Rage is your main goal. Your rotation is simple, Bloodthirst and Whirlwind when you're able. Slam when Bloodsurge procs (Slam Alert addon is awesome), and Heroic Strike or Cleave for a rage dump depending on the encounter (HS=single or Cleave=multi mobs). Check with maxdps.com for gear progression. With Emblems of Conquest dropping everywhere you should be able to gear up very quickly. Most of the really sweet gear these days is pointing to a Crit / Armor Penetration gearout so concentrate you're gearing/rolls on that stuff. With precision (+3 to hit) and a dranei in your group (+1 to hit with heroic presence), you only need 4% (8%) hit to guarantee a hit with your "Yellow" hits (Bloodthirst - Whirlwind etc...). Then 6% expertise to ensure you're not block/dodge/parried (Making sure you're always hitting from behind). With all this in mind you should be able to pull out 2 to 2.2 k dps soloing, and 3 to 3.8k raiding once you get naxx / conquest geared (depending on your ability to land the rotation). Like I said, Maxdps can suggest some upgrades. So to summarize. Gear, Enchant and Gem yourself to hit 8% hit, then 6% expertise, then 4k+ attack power, then crit and armor penetration as high as you can, in that order. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    First and foremost, unless maxdps had changed ALOT, its pretty much garbage. Your best bet is Landsoul's spreadsheet from EJ(provided a new version has been put up), or you can use RAWR. I "FEEL" that RAWR models ArP inaccurately, though haven't taken the time to test it due to fury not having been my main spec for quite a while.

Second, DO NOT count on a draeni to give you 1% hit. Several reasons, first you can't always guarantee you'll always have one in your GROUP(group buff, not raid buff), second, the minute that draeni dies(their fault, healers fault, tanks fault, doesn't matter), you're no longer special capped. 8% hit is correct, 3% from talents, but get 5% from gear. Now that is only for specials, your white hits have a 27% miss as fury, that means that hit over the soft cap is not completely wasted as it would be with arms, so just count the draeni 1% as gravy.

Third, you need 26 expertise(not rating, actual expertise) to be capped, that is 6.5% not 6%. Raid bosses have a 6.5% change to dodge, so 26 eliminates that. You should ALWAYS* attack from behind so that you don't get parried. Two reasons for this. One getting parried lowers your dps. Two getting parried by the boss, hastes the bosses next attack leading to increased tank damage.
    *Some encounters you cannot attack from behind the boss, obviously i don't mean these. Don't try to get behind Kologorn and attack him, won't end well.

As far as your spec goes, 5/5 in CP is fine IMO. If you have a pally with ImpMight great, whoever is tanking just won a 50% stronger CS. I would pull the points from improved cleave, as that only buffs the "bonus damage" on cleave. I'd put them in ImpExe and ImpBerRage. Since execute got changed a patch or 2 ago, its fine to use as a filler GCD under 20%.

Thanks both of you, this is exactly what i was after, i will look at the spec and make some changes and start work on my Exp & ArP as well.

Anyone else who wishes to comment - will be apprecited

Cheers again

Get 180 hit rating
    Get 26 expertise
    Get grim toll
    Get 47% armor pen roughly

This will pretty much change your dps outlook. As well all the information above. Except the minor detail about parry from the front. Even though mobs can parry from behind as well. 56 expertise is the supposed parry removal number atm. But dont gem for it, either let the gear take you there or it doesn't. but I would stride for it.

Mobs CAN NOT parry from behind. I BELIEVE what you are referring to is some bosses target random raid members and cast spells on them. When they do this, they momentarily turn toward that raid member. During that brief instant that they are facing a new direction(towards you) you have a chance to be parried because you are no longer behind them. This however, is not being parried while behind the boss, as you are temporarily in front of the boss.

EDIT- DO NOT go for 57 expertise as a dps, it is a WASTE of itemization. Shoot for 26 as your goal. A point above or below is acceptable as hitting caps exactly can be tricky.

I have changed my Spec about a bit as previous posts and have started to gem for Exp, however my Power is reducing as a result of it. (Switiching Str Gems for Exp)

1. Should i prioritise Str over Exp at this early stage as i appreciate i cant probably get all the stats in the level gear im in)

2. Gumurak wrote

"Get 180 hit rating
    Get 26 expertise
    Get grim toll
    Get 47% armor pen roughly"

180Hit?? why i thought it needed to be 263??
    What is Grim Toll??

Thanks
    Last edited by Driden; 09-12-2009 at 05:02 AM.

Arms

I would seriously urge you to respec arms until you start getting actual raid gear... It seems everything you have is from ToC, reputation or crafting.

The fact is, you won't do better dps with fury until you have most item levels above 213 and even then it's a stretch... Just something to think about.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mugthol/Saal/advanced

180 hit rating is whats required for your specials to hit. As fury you'll be spending more time on specials than anything else. White damage will only make up 30-35% of your damage if done correctly.

Grim toll is a trinket from 25 man naxx when combined with 47% armor pen the proc gives you 100% armor pen. Thus effectively lowering the mobs armor rate to you to like 250 I believe. All raid bosses have somewhere in the range of 10750 armor. With all the appropriate debuffs placed on the mob and your armor pen rating. You'll lower it significantly, thus not needing so much hit rating.

The hit rating you mentioned is the hit rating you need before hitting the armor penatration cap. And essentially as you gear up. Always gem str over expertise. the gear will eventially take you there. gemming one or 2 gems to get you to the 26 cap is ok, anything more will hurt you.

Your attack power goes down with an armor penatration build. But thats because for every point of armor pen you put in your dps effectively goes up. As you lower the mobs armor rating towards your attacks. it's essentially a trade off.

Thaak is correct and I was thinking dodge. When i said 56 expertise I meant in gear in general. if you are running best in slot hard mode current top shelf raid gear. you will hit this number easily. However, don't specifically gear for it and never gem for it. if it comes naturally so be it. But 26 is all you need for effectiveness.

+ Reply to Thread