+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gemming for hit this tier?

gemming for hit this tier?

so as a tank I'm looking at the coliseum gear and almost none of it has hit. so are we gonna have to just constantly gem hit to stay at cap?

I don't know about anyone else, but I've already begun starting to gem for hit. My hit was fairly low in Ulduar gear, because I hadn't got my T8 gloves yet at that point. As soon as I got my first couple of upgrades (Mimiron's Inferno Couplings > Armguards of the Shield Maiden, Cloak of the Makers > Pride of the Demon Lord) I started hurting for hit. So far I've swapped out my Industrable Plate Girdle for the badge one with hit and enchanted my gloves for hit.

Normally I would just stick Def/Stam gems in my yellow sockets, but thankfully there seems to be absolutely loads of Defense on TotC gear, so once I have more upgrades, I'll be using more 10 hit / 15 stam gems in yellow sockets. I used Rawr to see what kind of stats I'd be getting in normal TotC gear, and what to gem, or where to look for upgrades. I'll have a very, very satisfactory amount of hit with a few choice items and the hit/stam gems.

I was extremely happy when Greavse of the Lingering Vortex dropped for me tonight. One of the first items I gemmed hit/stam with. I'm now sitting at 226 hit with these.

So, to answer your question, I wouldn't say constantly gem hit, but with a few pieces of gear with hit on them and some gems, you'll be close enough. I'd also say keep plenty of Snapper Extreme in your bags. I know I do.

I'm not sure about what I will do. The gear almost seems itemised to make us lose hit rating (or give us something else to gem for). Then again while tanking 10 man heroic mode I ditched _whatever_ in favour of more hitpoints/armor/avoidance. I'll likely keep a few pieces, like the boots you linked and the badge of conquest neck in my bag to allow myself to swap into a more threat oriented outfit.

If all else fails I suppose I can ditch a major glyph to help me out with no longer missing taunts.
    My lack of proper signature actually is a proud minimalistic stand

Quote Originally Posted by Aethelas View Post
    If all else fails I suppose I can ditch a major glyph to help me out with no longer missing taunts.
    I had to with Gormok the Impaler last night. Even with 6% hit (i prefer expertise vs. hit in almost all situations) I had back to back taunt resists once . Once that happened I threw the taunt glyph in. Glad I keep stacks of common glyphs on me at all times.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

After seeing how insane melee damage is on ToC25 Heroic, I don't dare to spend any gem slots for threat. I dropped few times on Gormok's combo of 20k melee + 30k Impale.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

As a Tankadin i never cared to even think about hit... i think i hover around5% and thats fine with me... i have 0 TPS issues, and i think the gems are better off spent on Stam, or somthing keeping you alive

i get what you guys are saying but i don't think you understand that except for craftable bracers it seems all coliseum gear has expertise instead of hit. losing a little hit is fine but it seems like with this gear you'll eventually end up with little hit at all unless you gem it.

Blizz is effectively making us chew on gemming. And well, if you need hit this much perhaps there's a couple of pieces you could downgrade too. What it comes down to is using the right tool for the job. For me, I couldn't care less if I never got to use my superheavy stocked up heroic T9 survival gear because the encounters require me to generate as much threat as possible, or require me to run around in my block/blockvalue set.

You spotted the weakness on the new gearpieces, that's good. That means you can keep an eye on the situation and swap some gear around as needed. Gemming stam/hit and hit food would net you well... 80 hit rating in total? If you want to be close or on the melee hitcap you'll likely have to swap some gear around.

Next to that I have yet to see a fight in Trial of the Crusader that requires me to build up aoe threat - all the expertise stuff (to a certain extent) will serve me better with all that single target tanking. That doesn't mean I'm going to neglect hit completely - I still want my thunderclaps, shield bashes and demo shouts hitting regularly.
    My lack of proper signature actually is a proud minimalistic stand

well downgrading for hit seems fine but bosses in the new place seem to hit way too hard to sacrifice any avoidance for hit so it doesn't seem possible.

as much as i want to continue gemming for stam it seems I'm gonna be forced to gem into hit till icecrown.

IMO when considering single target fights; the only time Hit is greater then expertise is in regards to taunt, and there's a glyph for that. I just carry a taunt glyph and swap it in where appropriate. As a warrior only TC, Demoshout, shield bash, and taunt are not effected by expertise, (with the exception of taunt all these can be applied by other other classes) I'm not very worried about the lack of hit unless I'm reaching the expertise hardcap in survival gear.

That's not happening soon for me.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

I as well have lost a ton of hit and it just doesn't matter that much from what I have seen. As others have posted, glyph for taunt, and you should be fine. I haven't had any real issues with threat. You can get creative with vigilance throughout a fight if things get bad.. but they rarely do.

so what people seem to be saying is to just forget about hit and continue gemming stam?

I glyphed taunt as well. Currently sitting @ 21 hit 43 expertise and the expertise will rise with more gear .

Have little to no trouble holding agro.
    And I usually run alongside a feral druid who does the demo shouting .
    Thunderclapping is no issue due to hardly any AOE tanking going on and DK's providing debuff.
    I have yet to see a missed shield bash ( probably luck)

All in all , Im hoping for the heroic version of the 10man Greavse of the Lingering Vortex
    but thats about it. ill have 50-80 hit tops on gear. +40 due to food , and I always have 1 draenei in my party (being able to swap people in the raid is pro)

I'm also suffering from the hit issues associated with this tier. I picked up a couple of near BIS stuff and after putting on every ToC upgrade I've gotten my hit dropped down to about 40, which was ridiculously low.

Sure, my expertise is good, but I'm concerned about my threat in the long run, which while I haven't fallen so behind that I can't tank anymore, I HAVE noticed my TPS take a drop.

I agree that H ToC hits hard enough that I hate to sacrifice any AV/EH, but at the same time I think I may end up gemming for hit just to stay ahead of the curve and hope the other itemization stats are enough to keep me from getting mollywomped.

At TOC25 levels, everybody is likely to be well over def cap even if they had no defense gems and even dropped a few defense enchants, a wasted itemization that could have gone to a yellow gem socket.

My issue with gemming is that even if you went crazy on it, you would still be well under the requirements. Argument applies mainly to plate, as bears probably get more hit or yellow sockets from all that @$#% rogue gear instead of proper tanking gear, and won't be as far off from the curve.

First lets estimate that a ToC person has 60 hit rating from rings, necklaces, enchants, etc. I think it's a reasonable estimate of a hit deprived tank, a previous poster sported 21 hit rating. Let's also assume people are hitting those 9 or 12 stamina bonuses and therefore following socket colours. I'd estimate the average tank would be sporting about 4 yellow sockets to play with, the rest being blue sockets or red on this tier (5 pc tier9 defense set is about 2 yellows for plate wearers).
    -if you were to gem with all hit/stam, that's only 40 hit rating.
    -If you were to go crazy and gem pure hit, that's still only 80, but at a cost of 60 stamina from gems themselves + another 20 stam in lost bonuses (or about 1k health on a tankadin, to say nothing of bears). 180 hit rating is where I feel you just start to get by on hit rating in terms of taunts, it's about 7% hit for a taunt, and even with a glyph (extra 8%) you still get to miss about 2% of the time, and also at the cost of a lost threat or survival glyph.

But hey, we are heading for 550 defense from our gear! Woo!

If you are a DK, you use the Helmet/Shoulder T9 with 10 hit/15 stam (you lose about 100 life for 20 rating), either Hammer of Crushing Whisper, Morkorsh the Bloodreaver, or Fleshripper (ilvl 232, 245, and 258 depending on your progression level), you use +20 hit to gloves, Snapper Extreme, heroic Dreadscale Bracers, and you are good to go.
    It should also be noted that past 26 expertise, hit is a much better overall stat for a DK than expertise is.

When the bosses hit for 30k per hit in ToC heroic 25, you need all the dodge, defense, stam you can get, hit becomes a secondary consideration

Indeed, both myself and our paladin tank have started gemming for hit. At the worst point i was at 97 hit rating in my best avoidance/stam gear. Now with getting the Boots of the Lingering Vortex, upgrading to the swordbreaker wrists, and taking every +stam socket bonus that includes a yellow gem by using a hit/stam gem, I am at 174 hit with my Indestructible Girdle belt, or 232 with my Shieldwarder Girdle. I am seriously considering just using Shieldwarder Girdle until i can get something better out of ToC, since i can stay above 40k hp unbuffed, get close to hit cap, 37 expertise, and 57%+ unbuffed avoidance. The extra parry rating i get from Indestructible Girlde is ok at best, compared to the huge hit rating boots i get out of Shieldwarder. It's also only like a 200-300 hp loss, which i can deal with for the extra threat.

My rule was basically don't gem or worry about threat until my dps started to exceed what i could put out. That point has come, with some of our hunters and warlocks pushing 7-9k dps (and not on gimmick fights, just normal/hardmode fights). So this means they are pushing bursts of 7-10k threat, which is very hard to keep up with. At this point i need to push bare minimum 7k threat per second to not gimp my raids top dps, which i was only able to pull about 6.5k consistently. With these upgrades to hit etc, I have been closing in on 8k TPS, and having bursts of over 10k.

Long story short.. yeah i had to gem for hit for this tier. Need to get the tier pants asap, since with the pants i think i may be able to actually CAP my hit.

+ Reply to Thread