+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bladeward enchant not working properly???

Bladeward enchant not working properly???

I got the bladeward enchant and its procs often and it stacks a few times. My issue is that I never really use the bladeward.... I get it but I never use it.... should my parry be higher than where it is?
    Mommy always said I was hard headed

Last edited by Bkl; 08-31-2009 at 11:23 PM.

From what I understand you have a chance on weapon attack to gain a stack of blade warding. The higher your parry rating is, the less efficient the enchant becomes. This has two reasons:

Each stack grants 200 parry rating. on your next parry the stacks "unload" and fire off some damage (dependant on the amount of stacks you have) at your target. A parry become more and more likely as you gain stacks. The greater your "innate" parry rating, the lesser chance you have of actually seeing multiple stacks of bladewarding.

Additionally, your "innate" parry rating reduces the avoidance granted by the enchant due to the diminishing return on avoidance from parry rating.

Don't bother with Bladeward. After alot of testing in raids, i have come to accept the conclusion that if you want an enchant on your weapon for avoidance Mongoose is a better choice.

Bladeward is more avoidance than mongoose after the parry/dodge changes even with the low uptime and proc rate of bladeward

bladeward can be a sweet enchant.. had it stack up to 5 times.. since im a pally it can trigger off my hammer of right. poped me up from 21 parry to almost 30% parry and also proced for 4k dmg.. so it is worth it and the threat u get from the proc also helps

Has someone been able to test it's uptime with paladins? I haven't had the chance to log in yet to try it myself. The last patch said the SoV's dot is considered a melee attack, and as such it's probably able to proc bladeward. Same for Hammer of the RIghteous.

this is a Prot Warrior thread.... so Pyrea when i do gaint the buff i get the 200 parry rating increase but it not actually firing off because my parry is at 20%??? i've rarely seen it fire....

Quote Originally Posted by Bkl View Post
    this is a Prot Warrior thread.... so Pyrea when i do gaint the buff i get the 200 parry rating increase but it not actually firing off because my parry is at 20%??? i've rarely seen it fire....
    It's rather hard to model what it really means, but it's undeniably an avoidance increase. At 20% parry, a single stack gives me nearly 3% parry, and the subsequent stacks give around 2,5/2% more parry each.

for warriors bladeward sux tbh ... its ok for pallys i guess cause u have other abilitys that proc it ... in my opinion there is still nothing in the game that rivals mongoose for prot warriors ... unless u have really low hit rating then id maybe go accuracy... but the amount of uptime i see these days on mongoose .. i will not be changing it anytime soon its a clear extra 1% dodge for 12 secs 2% crit around 400-600 armor and haste on ur attacks ... mongoose is up heaps .. alot of the time it will renew itself mid stack ... tbh stick with the mongoose enchant you will be happy you did

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloinsteak View Post
    for warriors bladeward sux tbh ... its ok for pallys i guess cause u have other abilitys that proc it ... in my opinion there is still nothing in the game that rivals mongoose for prot warriors ... unless u have really low hit rating then id maybe go accuracy... but the amount of uptime i see these days on mongoose .. i will not be changing it anytime soon its a clear extra 1% dodge for 12 secs 2% crit around 400-600 armor and haste on ur attacks ... mongoose is up heaps .. alot of the time it will renew itself mid stack ... tbh stick with the mongoose enchant you will be happy you did
    Pallies have auto attacks and hammer of the righteous, each may be counted twice with SoV up, but you're still talking about a 6s cooldown and autoattack.
    So.. no. Last I checked, also, anything that procs mongoose also procs bladeward, so there isn't really a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Pallies have auto attacks and hammer of the righteous, each may be counted twice with SoV up, but you're still talking about a 6s cooldown and autoattack.
    So.. no. Last I checked, also, anything that procs mongoose also procs bladeward, so there isn't really a difference.
    The Seal of Sengeance DoT application now counts as a melee attack as of 3.2 (It can be dodged/parried, but never resisted) and as such it has essentially doubled the number of melee attacks we perform, making Bladeward pretty powerful. SoV DoT also procs from hammer of the righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    The Seal of Sengeance DoT application now counts as a melee attack as of 3.2 (It can be dodged/parried, but never resisted) and as such it has essentially doubled the number of melee attacks we perform, making Bladeward pretty powerful. SoV DoT also procs from hammer of the righteous.
    That's what I said.

My bad, was on the phone. Either way, I still count blade ward as pretty solid, although with coliseum boss mechanics blood draining may be more beneficial considering the stuns that Gormok, Icehowl and Anub'Arak do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkl View Post
    I got the bladeward enchant and its procs often and it stacks a few times. My issue is that I never really use the bladeward.... I get it but I never use it.... should my parry be higher than where it is?
    Are you testing it on a Target Dummy? Because they don't attack back, so you'll never have anything to parry, hence your charges will never be used up and will simply stack and wear off.

If you're experiencing this against bosses then it could just be the RNG not going in your favour, but a combat log parse (preferably over a whole raid evening) will help to see if it's a genuine bug or if it did go off sometimes.

bugger bladeward off and get mongoose ... even kungen still uses mongoose ... if your a warrior dont use bladeward its terrible ... simple as that .. i have no idea what that Synapse guy is talking about maybe he smokes a large amount of hallucinogenic drugs or somthing ... for warrior bladeward bad mongoose good

Quote Originally Posted by Sirloinsteak View Post
    bugger bladeward off and get mongoose ... even kungen still uses mongoose ... if your a warrior dont use bladeward its terrible ... simple as that .. i have no idea what that Synapse guy is talking about maybe he smokes a large amount of hallucinogenic drugs or somthing ... for warrior bladeward bad mongoose good
    Before the changes to parry rating and agility's conversion rate to dodge Blade ward was averaging higher total avoidance gain over a fight than Mongoose was. Then the patch came and increased the value of parry rating and decreased the avoidance value of agility. Blade Ward is a seriously tricky enchant with it's dependent procs/discharges but it's hands down better than Mongoose overall in the current mechanics of the game. Furthermore Paladins got more of their skills converted to physical mechanics and made Blade Ward alot more attractive to them as well.

Here's a breakdown on the research that was done before the patch. Keep in mind that it's better now.
    Blade Warding by the Logs

Quote Originally Posted by Superspy23 View Post
    Before the changes to parry rating and agility's conversion rate to dodge Blade ward was averaging higher total avoidance gain over a fight than Mongoose was. Then the patch came and increased the value of parry rating and decreased the avoidance value of agility. Blade Ward is a seriously tricky enchant with it's dependent procs/discharges but it's hands down better than Mongoose overall in the current mechanics of the game. Furthermore Paladins got more of their skills converted to physical mechanics and made Blade Ward alot more attractive to them as well.

Here's a breakdown on the research that was done before the patch. Keep in mind that it's better now.
    Blade Warding by the Logs

no its bad .. bladeward is terrible i would never use it and neither would any other decent warrior tank ... not only does it have to proc ... but it then has to proc on the proc to go off and once it does it disappears ... where as mongoose says up for 12 seconds no matter what and has a far greater uptime then bladeward by a fair amount ... i have 2 prot warriors one on horde and one on alliance both in 10/25 toc gear, i have used most of the weapon chants on both of them .. and i still cant find anything better then mongoose

hell don't listen to us ... go into your next instance with the mats for both chants and test it out on the fly, if you do i can guarantee you wont be coming out with bladeard

Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    Are you testing it on a Target Dummy? Because they don't attack back, so you'll never have anything to parry, hence your charges will never be used up and will simply stack and wear off.

If you're experiencing this against bosses then it could just be the RNG not going in your favour, but a combat log parse (preferably over a whole raid evening) will help to see if it's a genuine bug or if it did go off sometimes.

No i am not on a test dummy since i am one of the main tanks in my guild i watch for bladeward very often while tanking

and doesnt bladeward only worth it when its effect it used cause im thinking that yeah it procs i get my increase in parry but i never parry while i have bladeward proc'd... and i do have my floating combat text goin and i barely see parry i get more dodges than anything else....

refer to my armory in my first link to view my advoidance

+ Reply to Thread