+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Expertise? Hit? for DPS warrior

Expertise? Hit? for DPS warrior

I'm confused here... According to maxdps.com (arms.. or hell even fury) you get more dps per 10 strength and 20 attack power than from 10 hit and 10 expertise. This begs the questions...

Is hitting the expertise cap and hit cap necessary? Should I actively gem or enchant for it? I'm trying to work on my warrior right now and get his DPS up. I've mastered both DPS specs (and I tend to like arms better), but as far as gearing for it, I'm a complete noob. Here's my armory - The World of Warcraft Armory

It seems like expertise and hit grants you more rage which is always nice, but what about overall DPS?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: My DPS is a little higher than what MaxDPS calculates it as.
    Last edited by Darkroman; 08-31-2009 at 03:42 PM.

This is always up to debate.

It's basically summed up to this.

Hit 100% of the time for 100 damage

or hit 90% of the time for 110 damage.

Now when your streaks are going good and you're hitting a lot at 110 damage, your dps will be higher, and on specific fights you'll see consistent gains. But anytime you miss, that's 0 dps being generated that second. That's why most people advocate reaching 100% hit/expertise capped. Really what you should look at it as is reducing that number to a point where the chance to miss/be dodged is low enough that a STR or ArP increase will outshine it.

I'll admit I run at 17 expertise instead of 18 as arms, but I find it hasn't negatively impacted my DPS as much as I had thought, however if I was at say 6 expertise, I'd imagine getting a string of dodges would greatly reduce my damage capabilities not to mention my rage generation.

My personal recommendation and for simpler ways to balance your gear, always achieve hit and expertise caps first, then focus on the other pieces. Just be open minded about how to achieve this, sometimes it means regemming one piece of gear, to equip a new piece of gear with less hit but more STR/ArP.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

i dont know how good maxdps has been lately, but i remember back in bc and early wotlk that their information has been wrong. iirc they had something modeled slighty wrong and it skewed the sep values.

however hit and expertise are your best dps stats until the caps. i ran at 25 instead of 26 expertise for awhile, but being so close to the cap it was hardly an issue (.25% chance to be dodged).

i would say hit cap would be more important than expertise cap but both over str/arp gemming until you have both caps.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

You really should be at the 8% hit cap for yellow attacks, last thing you want is for your Mortal strike, Overpower etc to miss.

Expertise would be fine around the 4% mark, since arms has a talent that reduces dodge chance by 2%. If you are going Fury, 6% Expertise is the number to hit so you will not get dodged by the raid boss.

Quote Originally Posted by ryofu View Post
    Expertise would be fine around the 4% mark, since arms has a talent that reduces dodge chance by 2%. If you are going Fury, 6% Expertise is the number to hit so you will not get dodged by the raid boss.
    6.5% dodge reduction is the cap, not 6% (4.5% is arms specced into 2/2 weapon mastery)
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

It all boils down to how much you want RNG to control your DPS. There was a long time I was sitting at 144 hit back in naxx and I never saw any change in my DPS so I never bothered with it. Till the day of one of our KT 25 attempt I had WW-BT-HS-WW-BT all miss in a row (yes 5 attacks missed in a row). We wiped at 30k hp on KT that attempt and I was so pissed off. Anyways since that day I strictly run atleast at 164 hit and 26 expertise(I am arms now anyways so its 264 now but you get the idea).

Most of the raiders will want to take as much RNG out of their DPS as they can and hence the hit and expertise requirements. So take it with grain of salt and see what you like.

Edit: sorry confused the hit number.

+ Reply to Thread