+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 25 Ulduar

25 Ulduar

Hey there, I'm a long time reader / theorycrafter but I've never really posted here. I'm thinking I should start.

Last night was I guess some what of a wake up call, I had never tanked 25 Ulduar until last night but I figured my gear was good enough. My question is, is it really?

I tanked Decon and Razorscale no problem. But when we got to Kologarn I was, at a loss.

Kolo seems to kill me, consistantly. He constantly swings for 20k + and it's always a wam-bam that kills me. Say within a 2second interval I'll take 45-50k damage.

Armory:The World of Warcraft Armory

Any suggestions on gear upgrades/maybe what I'm doing wrong? I just recently switch back to mongoose because I really wasn't impressed with Blade Ward. Bad call?

Your gear is more than adequate for Kologarn - it's considerably better than mine was when we first killed him.

I suggest it might be a few things. Are you keeping debuffs up on him? Are you swapping tanks at 2 debuffs? Are the healers responding well to the tankswaps? Are the healers coping with the combination of raid damage and tank damage (i.e. they're not forgetting to heal you, right? ) It's a tough fight for them at first while people are learning.

Without a parse of what's killing you it's tricky to diagnose. But on the face of it there is nothing preventing you from tanking that boss successfully.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Debuffs are always up, druid with imp demo keeps it up and when he forgets, I demo. I always T-clap. The healers seemed to switch fine, one thing I did notice was heals happening before the wam-bams. I'd get healed for 25kish overheal (already full health) and then I'd go splat.

Now I'm not sure if they're forgetting or if they're trying to heal reactively to the damage I'm recieving and thus, splat.

Either way, I feel a lot better. Short of rotating Last Stand / Shield wall I was trying everything. Maybe I'll do that next time (I'll also run logs next time).

-- Actually, thinking about the fight as I wrote this, I always seemed to die AFTER we broke the arm at least once. Maybe the adds were causing panic?

The only way you can be oneshot is if you had the debuff stacked twice.

So if you are indeed switching tanks in the right time, I would suggest asking the healers to tighten it up.

Adds do some aoe when they die IIRC. Did you address the taunt rotation question? The stacking 'crunch armor' debuff can change the healing dynamics of the fight considerably and make it unviable for moderately geared/skilled healers.

You might try a new weapon enchant too -blood draining is currently the top EH enchant. Mongoose is inferior to blade ward for avoidance.

Sorry, yes, we tried two different ways of dealing with crunch.

The normal way for us, on 2 debuffs and also on 1 debuff after it seemed to be our problem. Obviously, it wasn't.

Blood draining would be nice, but on a peacekeeper?

One thing to be aware of is that the adds stack a nasty debuff: Stone Nova - Spell - World of Warcraft

I'm guessing a third tank is picking those up - be careful not to get any yourself Best of luck - you'll get there!
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

+ Reply to Thread