+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frost Tank Gems

Frost Tank Gems

I just got my Dk to 80, and i was planning from the start to make him a tank. I have played a hunter since vanilla wow, geared in Ulduar/25 naxx. Tanking is new to me, all i've ever known is dps. Right now I am frost specced. Im wondering what stat should be my main priority. I've seen some dk tanks with hit, expertise,and attack power. Defense rating and stam are a given . Should I be investing in hit rating over stam to keep aggro, things like that.

Any help would be great.

Lots of people looking at this, no comments?

If you're running frost as a newly dinged 80 then you are more than likely just running heroics/ToC 10mans for the time being. Frost is great for that. I love frost when I want to blow through a heroic or something, so much aoe and burn.

You should be gemming straight stam/def atm, if you need the def, if not then go stam/expertise for hybrid gems, and stams for blues, red...well screw reds most of the time.

If you're having trouble with aggro it is not because you aren't gemmed correctly, it is probably because you have a newly dinged 80 and are running heroics with people who have been 80 for 8 months. It happens.

Awesome thanks. Some Dk's I noticed had ap and stam hybrid gems. Not sure why, maybe for the extra damage to build aggro?

AP is wasted on a DK tank. The AP would aid threat/dps, but DPS isn't a priority for tanks. Soft capping hit and expertise will generate threat much better than AP or strength.

Since you're a new 80, you can't really go wrong with rare gemming stam, and stam/avoidance.

My prefernce is to stack strength in reds, stam in blues (I like the reds myself). Yellow is for defense and hit. Strength goes to avoidance and to attack power 1 str = 2 ap. I notice recently there is this a big focus on expertise. Personally, I wouldn't waste a blue slot on expertise unless you have a threat issue. As you gear up expertise will come. With correct use of DnD and HB threat should not be an issue.

My first toon was a hunter also, he got left at level 76 while I fell for tanking on my DK. Couple months ago I took the hunter to 80 and have him pretty well geared now, and dps'ing is fun for a change. So, I kind of went the reverse of your track. Hunters do put out some wicked dps - kind of fun seeing myself on recount on some bosses doing 3700 dps.

Stam over all and blood over frost

Frost for me, but it's what I'm used to.

Frost is the only way to go for a new tank, while they're learning the basics. Blood has top notch effective health and single target threat, but mob management in heroics kinda lacks. That said, gem nothing but strength and stam after you hit the magic def number. Everything else will come with gear, and there's enough magical damage in the frost tree that hit and expertise can come through better gear. Glyph your Howling blast, make sure you have Deathchill in your spec, and blast away. HB and DnD combine for GREAT up-front threat production, and I've literally only lost aggro ONE time since coming to tankspot. Ironically, that was to another DK who thought he had to DPS in frost presence. Fail naxx run ftl. Anyway, happy tanking, and best of luck! Make sure you check out Cider's pre-naxx 540 def guide, and get to work!

PS: You'll feel squishy for a while. All fresh 80 DK tanks do. It goes away, I promise.
    ...Thoughts of a philosophical Death Knight...
    If death is the inevitable end of life, is life the inevitable end of undeath?

+ Reply to Thread