+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help with tanking

help with tanking

While i'm tanking bosses in 10 man ulduar i'm always getting my ass handed to me but the other tank a prot pally takes virtually no dammage. I got some pretty decent gear and i don't know why i'm taking so much dammage. Also in ulduar 25 man our guild's main tank who is geared a little bit better than still takes alot less dammage than me.

Here is my armory:The World of Warcraft Armory
    rorhn the pally main tank:The World of Warcraft Armory
    mav the other warrior tank: The World of Warcraft Armory
    Last edited by brotor; 08-28-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added the other tanks armory

Who is the other tanks? (armory link)
    It shows your dps gear, so can't help you if we can't see your gear.

Still see you in your dps gear. but you can judge yourself if it's a gear difference or not. Do check how much expertise you have and that you do not parry gib yourself. also make sure other ppl aren't hitting the boss from the front and killing you like that as well.

As to dmg taken by palas or warriors, it's not that much different. So it's more likely a non-gear related issue.

The only real difference I can think of is parry gibs. There's of course also randomness on avoidance, but that doesn't always kill you. Also make sure you don't turn your back to bosses and such, the usual stuff, I assume you don't but just in case.

Can you tell me what bosses you die on, and if it's to some special ability or something like that.

Can you tell me what bosses you die on, and if it's to some special ability or something like that.
    mostly XT hard mode and hodir

Are you keeping demo shout and thunderclap up 100% of the time? Do you use indestructible potions (1 just before pull, 1 two minutes later)?

I know these seem obvious to some, but you'd be surprised how many tanks ignore stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwanderer View Post
    As to dmg taken by palas or warriors, it's not that much different. So it's more likely a non-gear related issue.
    While this might be true if you compare overall damage taken over the course of a fight, right now I think healers have a much easier time with paladins. I have always felt very confident in my tanking when compared to other tanks. Even when compared to a DK on algalon pre-3.1. Since 3.2 hit tho, it seems as if our healers are having a much easier time when keeping our pally tank up when compared to me. I died more often than he did when learning algalon25, and he wasn't even using his cooldowns (he was saving them for big bangs). I was using mine pretty much as they came up. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the way AD works now, but the fact that every single attack that damages them is blocked for 2-3k damage makes their incoming damage a lot smoother on most fights.

warriors will take a bit more spike dmg than a pally, for the fact that a pally will reduce a small amount of dmg every swing against them while a warrior will block for slightly more dmg reduction less often. i'm not saying block is the one thing that is happening in your situation, but its one factor.

armory is still catching you in dps gear so we can't comment on that part still.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

The 2-3k block per hit won't be that insane on bosses like XT hardmode. If he hits you twice in a row and you don't get healed, you die. On Algalon a paladin is just too OP because of the block. It's not realy right to compare dual wielding boss versus a big hitter.
    We haven't use a paladin tank on XT or anything so I don't know how good they are, I'm sure they're fine like any other class.
    If you keep dieing on XT then I don't think that's anything the original poster does wrong. You should be able to expect a heal between every hit.

Regardless the differences between palas and warriors. The other warrior doesn't seem to die on the same stuff. So the big question is, what does he do different?

Actually, if xt hits you twice and you block both you might survive. If he hits you twice and you don't block either, you could die. The fact that totally unblocked hits get through to us warriors sucks on almost any fight. The main thing is AD tho. That is a really, really good talent.

+ Reply to Thread