+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused, and needing some help with stats.

Confused, and needing some help with stats.

I've been reading Tankspot for a while, but this is my first post on here, and I'm in need of some help.

Firstly, let me just link my armoury: The World of Warcraft Armory

As you can see, I'm tanking, and at the same time gearing, in end 25 man content. We are progressing through Ulduar HM's slowly, and I've gotten to a good point where I'm now thinking of what to go for next.

At the current moment, I have 24 Conquest, and 36 Triumph badges.

I have a few different options I can take.

------

First thing is upgrading my neck to: Shard of the Crystal Forest - Item - World of Warcraft

This gives me; +5 stamina, +7 Defense, +13 Dodge rating, +42 hit rating and -104 Block rating.

If I grab this, I can then change some Triumph badges into Conq, and then grab: Gauntlets of the Royal Watch - Item - World of Warcraft

This will give me: +31 armor, +15 stam, +5 Defense, +56 dodge rating, +49 hit rating but give me -14 str, -36 block rating, -87 block value.

If I do this, I can unequip Grim Toll, and replace that with Defender's Code (Or Glyph of Indom. later on in the game.) The downside of this, is me losing Block rating and Block value.

I'm not 100% how much % that knocks off my block chance, but it looks like a hefty amount.

-----

That is one option. Another option is this:

Get myself: Conqueror's Siegebreaker Breastplate - Item - World of Warcraft

I don't know exactly what it'll give me, but it'll improve all the stats that I have on my current chest. However, I'll lose my +10% dmg from Shield Slam, and get a 10% to crit with Devastate, which doesn't seem like a good improvement at all.

-----

My last option, is to save up for: Shoulderplates of Enduring Order - Item - World of Warcraft

This gives me: +131 armor, +35 str, +39 stamina, +17 defense, +53 Parry, but give -5 dodge and -29 block rating. Not to mention, I lose my 2 set bonus aswell.

-----

Also, as a note, I'll be upgrading my bracers shortly from the raid, and I'd rather not spend 60 badges on some bracers which will be beaten sometime shortly.

So, as you can see, I'm stuck. I'm personally pulled towards option one, but the only problem is how my block rating will reduce (And I love my block. S&B is amazing.)

Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Okutai View Post
    If I grab this, I can then change some Triumph badges into Conq, ...
    Do not do this.

Emblems of Conquest are way too easy to get in Heroic runs. You shouldn't waste Triumphs to basically buy down for lesser gear. Use the Triumph emblems at the Triumph emblem vendor.

Armory isn't working for me at the moment, but I'll say this. You seem to be placing too much importance on block for HM tanking.

Progressing tanking should always prioritize EH and Avoidance. Block is a gimmick/trash stat for HM encounters, at least to my current knowledge.

My advice would be save triumphs and buy the shoulders, or any other piece that awards the highest bonus to EH and avoidance.
    || Tierax || ADELANTE-GUILD.COM - US ARTHAS (PVP) ||
    Healing Officer / Holy Paladin / Retired Protection Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Okutai View Post
    I've been reading Tankspot for a while, but this is my first post on here, and I'm in need of some help.

Firstly, let me just link my armoury: The World of Warcraft Armory

As you can see, I'm tanking, and at the same time gearing, in end 25 man content. We are progressing through Ulduar HM's slowly, and I've gotten to a good point where I'm now thinking of what to go for next.

At the current moment, I have 24 Conquest, and 36 Triumph badges.

I have a few different options I can take.

------

First thing is upgrading my neck to: Shard of the Crystal Forest - Item - World of Warcraft

This gives me; +5 stamina, +7 Defense, +13 Dodge rating, +42 hit rating and -104 Block rating.

If I grab this, I can then change some Triumph badges into Conq, and then grab: Gauntlets of the Royal Watch - Item - World of Warcraft

This will give me: +31 armor, +15 stam, +5 Defense, +56 dodge rating, +49 hit rating but give me -14 str, -36 block rating, -87 block value.

If I do this, I can unequip Grim Toll, and replace that with Defender's Code (Or Glyph of Indom. later on in the game.) The downside of this, is me losing Block rating and Block value.

I'm not 100% how much % that knocks off my block chance, but it looks like a hefty amount.

-----

That is one option. Another option is this:

Get myself: Conqueror's Siegebreaker Breastplate - Item - World of Warcraft

I don't know exactly what it'll give me, but it'll improve all the stats that I have on my current chest. However, I'll lose my +10% dmg from Shield Slam, and get a 10% to crit with Devastate, which doesn't seem like a good improvement at all.

-----

My last option, is to save up for: Shoulderplates of Enduring Order - Item - World of Warcraft

This gives me: +131 armor, +35 str, +39 stamina, +17 defense, +53 Parry, but give -5 dodge and -29 block rating. Not to mention, I lose my 2 set bonus aswell.

-----

Also, as a note, I'll be upgrading my bracers shortly from the raid, and I'd rather not spend 60 badges on some bracers which will be beaten sometime shortly.

So, as you can see, I'm stuck. I'm personally pulled towards option one, but the only problem is how my block rating will reduce (And I love my block. S&B is amazing.)

Help!
    I see you have already acted on some things, I hope I am not too late.

The neckalce is a good idea. As stated before, trading triumph for conquest is an EXTREMELY, VERY, TERRIBAD idea!. I hope you didnt do that to get gloves.

The Grim Toll is an awesome DPS weapon, stinks for a tank. Do go with Defender'S Code until you can get stam trinket from H AN (Essence of Gossamer). While you have Defender's Code equipped, don't forget to use the Dodge-on-use feature.

The T8.5 chest is decent, and I would slip in a hit or hit/stam gem into the yellow socket, with a pure stamina in the blue. Should help with your hit loss from losing Grim Toll.

Definately some new bracers would be the next upgrade. Again, stick to conquest badges earned by heroics. Your shoulder's aren't bad, even though the ones you are eyeing are better. Defer that upgrade for later.

If you are gonna stick with your current chest, you have a lot of expertise, you can out a pure stam gem into the blue slot. Try and stick to the 26-ish expertise range.

Do not use 18 stam on shield, it's horrible. Use 20 defense. Enchant your weapon, I recommend a titanium chain, although Accuracy is decent too.

Never, ever worry about losing block rating and block value. Until they fix it, it's a terrible stat you should be glad to jettison.

As others have said don't downgrade triumph to conquest and save for the shoulders. However I would say save up those conquest badges and turn them into valor and upgrade those bracers, imo that should be your first priority. You would be gaining 132 armor, 18str, 33stam, 3def rating, 38parry rating, and 9hit rating. Also throwing a 40stam enchant on bracers is far better that 15expertise

Thanks for the replies guys.

So far I've only bought the necklace and I'm in the process of getting some badges.

It's interesting, I've been told I should be hitting the expertise cap for parry with gems and enchants, that's why I've been gemming for expertise alot. Now that I've been told that that's a bad idea, I'll correct it.

I'm only using Grim Toll atm, because I have nothing else apart from Defender's code.

Will be getting the bracers asap.

As for the def on shield, I'm already def capped, surely 20 more def is less useful than 18 stam?

And I've got blade Turning scroll for when I get a better tanking weapon.
    Last edited by Okutai; 08-28-2009 at 08:03 PM.

There is no defense cap. 540 defense is a minimum required to be immune to crits, past 540 defense will still give you avoidance and some mitigation.

In fact with the recent nerf to dodge rating point for point defense rating give more avoidance than dodge plus a bit of block, but i could be wrong there.

+ Reply to Thread