+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What gems to get for my gear

What gems to get for my gear

I want to upgrade 3 gems for epic one's atm (head 1x and pants 2x). However im unsure which one's to get.

The World of Warcraft Armory

I was thinking about:
    head +10 dodge/+10 def (rather more dodge then 300 hp is my motto:P)
    Pants:
    red:
    +20 dodge?
    yellow:
    Green +10def/+15 stamina or again orange +10 dodge/+10 def?

Any thoughts???

On maxdps the stamina gems are rated much higher however i'm unsure about the calculations behind the deminishing returns of dodge and parry (I know parry goes down faster).

ps this:
    /script dr=function(x)return 1/(1/16+0.9560/x)end;DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance() +5+dr(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)/122.962)))

Gives me 80.something and my def is a bit low with my current weapon (but I also have the ToC shoulders for more def )
    Last edited by magistratus; 08-28-2009 at 05:43 AM.

This should probably be in a different forum but imho dodging 3 hits and then evaporating into a fine red mist when the next two land is sub-par to eating hits and having a large enough health pool that your healers can keep you up, even if they have to spend a gcd on something else now and again.

I never gem with a gem that has no stam on it because of the lack of EH risk I only use 20+ dodge in my avoidance set if I have some nice EH in it to begin with. If you can only get 3 epic gems and thats your only gear set I would recommend 10 stam and 15 defense in the head piece, with the legs I would get 10+ stam 15+ defense and 15+ stam and 15+ expertise.
    In my opinion I would not put those 2 epic gems in the legs but the shoulders and gun because those two items are alot better and have much more staying power than the block filled wyrmguard legs.

Before you post, make sure you have read the Posting & Chat Rules
    Wrong forum. Moved. Please read the posting rules as you were asked to.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

ZOMG Kaze didn't move a thread! Inconceivable!

All you need for defense is 540, a little over is OK, but 548 is a little over the top given that you are still at 30k health. I would agree with a defense/stam gem on your helm and pants. As for the red slot go with expertise/stam, you are WAY below expertise cap and it does provide value to tank survival. Once you can afford more epics, start trading in 16 defense gems for defense/stam (shoulders) or even outright stamina gems (bracers, assuming you dont outright upgrade it before then).

And yes, the gun is something you won't upgrade as often, put it there first.

If you are worried about dodge, don't. You will get enough of it naturally with gear upgrades and any defense you get. Beyond that, there is more value in stamina stacking.

Thanks for the move and the replies registered with my healer shaman tbo:P.

My def is about 543 with an orange gem in the stone shoulders from ul10, I have the regal shoulders gemmed with def atm for hodir (so that im defcapped with the epic frost chest from blacksmithing). I would like to upgrade that gem asap.

I have enough gold to upgrade the rest of my gems if it adds enough value (idd bracers kind of suck atm:S

I can see most of you like health but would like some more explanation.. if I would change for example 5 gems to give 5x15 stamina=75 stamina=750 hp. For example Kologarn on normal hits 14.000. I would still rather dodge the 14k hit then gem health to deal with it, because after gemming it's still a large hit. Ok it saves the healer some time (but only 750 hp time and if his next hit is 3500 it still does not help).

Anyways I took your advise and put an epic gem in the weapon and shoulders now. Was still at 548 def so I replaced the bracer gem with +30 stamina too. Hp is now 30900 unbuffed.

Regarding expertise with my current build I have about 1700 dps (vigi also helps) so I dont have any real threath issues (4-5k tps). Or is there some other use in expertise besides threath?

So final question that remains is what gems to use for my head/pants now?
    (p.s. I also have the trinket from dtk but cant use it atm because the signet of the accord gives 31 def)
    Last edited by magistratus; 08-30-2009 at 08:17 AM.

In your head I would get 15 stam and 10 defense in the legs I would get 15 stam 10 defense and 15 stam 10 expertise. Like I said earlier I would only use gems with no stamina on them if its an avoidance set and you already have loads of EH in it.

Ok thanks. Indeed my EH was 81900 and some other warrior in my guild with similar gear had 87000 (and 5% less avoidance but somehow doesn't seem to matter much in terms of the calculator on this website).

Ok I got some new gear and the epic gems. However I am way over defcap atm. 555+:S.

Suggestions? Removed my old ring and I now have 0 expertise, although it would be a shame to replace the dodge with expertise (since i dont got much threath problems atm).

The World of Warcraft Armory

(I have Valorous Siegebreaker Pauldrons - Item - World of Warcraft in my bag but it needs a gem + enchant, but it gives 45 expertise).
    Last edited by magistratus; 09-30-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Remember you can't over cap defense because it will always add avoidance. Maybe replace a few of those dodge gems here and there with some expertise nothing else really stands out in my mind for gear.
    For your spec and glyphs I would take 2 points out of improved revenge since it isn't really used much these days because of the devastate buff and put it in Improved Disciplines. I also think that a glyph slot would be much better invested in Glyph of Shieldwall because of all the survival it adds as opposed to Glyph of Sunder Armor which only helps on trash.

Quote Originally Posted by krc View Post
    Remember you can't over cap defense because it will always add avoidance. Maybe replace a few of those dodge gems here and there with some expertise nothing else really stands out in my mind for gear.
    For your spec and glyphs I would take 2 points out of improved revenge since it isn't really used much these days because of the devastate buff and put it in Improved Disciplines. I also think that a glyph slot would be much better invested in Glyph of Shieldwall because of all the survival it adds as opposed to Glyph of Sunder Armor which only helps on trash.
    What about 1 point in improved spell reflection? Or ar there hardly any bosses where that works?

Well the use of Improved Spell Reflect is pretty limited and the only reason its worth getting at all is if you are in a heavy survival spec because it lowers the chance you get hit by a spell by 4%. In my opinion it's not really worth it

+ Reply to Thread