+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Paladins and armor penetration

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3

    Paladins and armor penetration

    i just came back to world of warcraft after taking about a three month break and i have been wondering if something has changed since the new patches, i have seen a few paladins with a large amount of armor penetration and seen it on our tier 9 pieces. has armor penetration become a viable stat since they made crusader strike a 4 second Cool down? that's my question thanks
    ~skar

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    558
    No, armor pen is still a bad stat for ret. Haste was a bad stat and they felt the need to put it on T7 gear. Just because blizz puts a stat on tier gear doesn't make it good. Unfortunately you'll end up with some because it's all over DPS plate and two handers, but you can pretty much look at the stats as if it's not there for all the benefit it gives us.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    melbourne.au
    Posts
    543
    From what I recall, Ret only gets about 30% benefit from ArP. I might be making that up though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    558
    Here are the numbers from EJ:

    Haste
    Haste received some buffs in 3.1; namely for paladins we get 30% more haste from each rating point. Haste increases white damage and SoV damage by giving you a few more attacks against a boss; haste does NOT decrease the GCD on our strikes/judgements, but slightly decreases spell GCD (cons, exo). You will find plenty of it on our sets and pieces, don't enchant or gem for it. You need 32.7 baseline haste rating to gain 1% haste at 80, but adjusted with the 3.1 changes paladins require 25.2 haste rating for 1% haste. Despite all these buffs for haste, it still isn't a great stat for ret and should not be stacked or specifically aimed for.

    Armor Penetration
    ArP was buffed in 3.1 by 25% - but it still only affects 40% of our damage, meaning we received about a 10% increased benefit from this stat (as opposed to warriors who received a 25% increase), making it one of our least desired stats. 12.3 rating now gives you 1% armor piercing; unlike BC, you can no longer fully ignore boss or player armor via this stat. ArPen does NOT increase damage done by seals or judgements, just white damage, CS and DS.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    That Place Above the USA
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    No, armor pen is still a bad stat for ret. Haste was a bad stat and they felt the need to put it on T7 gear. Just because blizz puts a stat on tier gear doesn't make it good. Unfortunately you'll end up with some because it's all over DPS plate and two handers, but you can pretty much look at the stats as if it's not there for all the benefit it gives us.
    Case in point: SBV in Prot Warrior Tier sets. Yuck.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    melbourne.au
    Posts
    543
    What about the recent changes to judgements making them melee attacks. Does ArP provide any benefit despite it being yellow damage?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Notlob its a palindrome
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by vine View Post
    What about the recent changes to judgements making them melee attacks. Does ArP provide any benefit despite it being yellow damage?
    I haven't seen anything to this tune ingame or on EJ and Ive not checked EJ for only a week.

    Judgements as I know them deal Holy damage its not the attack type its the damage dealt.

    Crusader strike and Divine storm both deal Physical school damage, Judgement, Exorcism, Seals tend to deal holy damage.

  8. #8
    It's not the best stat and definitely not one to stack. It does, however, increase our damage, so calling it a "bad" stat is silly and misleading.

    Intellect is a bad stat for Ret DPS. Armor Pen is just low priority.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    It's not the best stat and definitely not one to stack. It does, however, increase our damage, so calling it a "bad" stat is silly and misleading.

    Intellect is a bad stat for Ret DPS. Armor Pen is just low priority.
    this is true, its just not as good as it is for dk's and warriors, and imo blizz should buff arp for pallys because it dose help other plate dps classes so might as well make it so it helps all of us.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodredsnow View Post
    imo blizz should buff arp for pallys because it dose help other plate dps classes so might as well make it so it helps all of us.
    pally's are known for dealing holy damage, that's their thing. the holy damage you do cannot be mitigated by armor, while all of my attacks as an arms warrior do so i need the arp the get the mitigation from my attacks down. over half (close to 60-70%) of your damage is un-mitigated, about 10% of mine is (bleeds from rend/deep wounds).
    -Jimmy

    |Ex Tank|

    TWITCH.TV STREAM


+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts