+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Paladins with low Shieldblock rating and crit?

Prot Paladins with low Shieldblock rating and crit?

I've been looking at the new T9 gear and been wondering how threat would be as a AoE tank or just tank in general. I've been seeing the higher geared Prot Paladins using Heart of The Crusader, Conviction, Crusade, Sancity of Battle, Judgment of the Just and Reckoning. Benefit of each one for threat? and how useful it is to threat?

If you want to see my gear/stats/talents
    Armory

With all the new tier9 items and triumph items. What should i do if i would get them and want to save Shieldblock rating for threat. It seems like ill have alot of threat problems if I lose Shieldblock rating.

Pretty much help me out here ^_^ please
    Last edited by LuckiCharmzXP; 08-27-2009 at 04:21 AM.

Ummm Judgement of the Just is mandatory talent, 20% decreased swing time= 20% less auto attack dmg

Why would you need shield block rating for threat?

maybe because holy shield deals damage on block? tbh, you dont need to stack block, I have 15-16% block before holy shield and have absolutly zero threat problems (except when the trigger happy dps decide to bomb while the mobs are on the way to me, in which case only taunting can help). Hammer of the righteous with the glyph is simply godlike, 4 targets get hit, get the SoV dot, get vindication.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckiCharmzXP View Post
    I've been looking at the new T9 gear and been wondering how threat would be as a AoE tank or just tank in general. I've been seeing the higher geared Prot Paladins using Heart of The Crusader, Conviction, Crusade, Sancity of Battle, Judgment of the Just and Reckoning. Benefit of each one for threat? and how useful it is to threat?

If you want to see my gear/stats/talents
    Armory

With all the new tier9 items and triumph items. What should i do if i would get them and want to save Shieldblock rating for threat. It seems like ill have alot of threat problems if I lose Shieldblock rating.

Pretty much help me out here ^_^ please
    Vindication, in the ret tree, is about as important(if not more) than Judgment of the Just, so both are *mandatory* for tanking. Getting to vindication is not the easiest things in the world, for you have to put 4 points in the ret tree that dont have immediate uses for the tank. My personal choice is filling out improved judgment, and Heart of the crusader.

That said, you have to look at talents in how they benefit not only you, but the whole raid. Stuff like Heart of the Crusader, Divine Guardian and Improved Hammer of Justice all are great to soak incoming damage or increasing damage output of the whole raid.

The talents listed here(reckoning and Heart are interchangeable with other stuff) are all that you really need for tanking. The rest is fluff.

On the block... When the damage comes in the form of large hits, avoidance beats block value. Losing power in comparison, block tends to be overlooked. As a paladin you can keep your holy shield up at all times, which is handy to guarantee *no physical hit does full damage to you*, sort of a "Effective Health Capacitor". Block Rating is therefore filler to keep you protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    maybe because holy shield deals damage on block? tbh, you dont need to stack block, I have 15-16% block before holy shield and have absolutly zero threat problems (except when the trigger happy dps decide to bomb while the mobs are on the way to me, in which case only taunting can help). Hammer of the righteous with the glyph is simply godlike, 4 targets get hit, get the SoV dot, get vindication.
    In addition Shield of the Righteous uses SBV to increase its damage (up to a recently included cap of 2400 before DR sets in, and 2760 I believe is the theoretical maximum after powering through DR). Realistically, don't worry about block, SotR is not your main threat stat as compared to other tools like Avenger's Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, Consecrate, etc.

They removed SBV from tier 9 because they acknowledge that it needs improvement, and rather than forcing it on people, they have shelved it until it is fixed in a few patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Vindication, in the ret tree, is about as important(if not more) than Judgment of the Just, so both are *mandatory* for tanking. Getting to vindication is not the easiest things in the world, for you have to put 4 points in the ret tree that dont have immediate uses for the tank. My personal choice is filling out improved judgment, and Heart of the crusader.

That said, you have to look at talents in how they benefit not only you, but the whole raid. Stuff like Heart of the Crusader, Divine Guardian and Improved Hammer of Justice all are great to soak incoming damage or increasing damage output of the whole raid.

The talents listed here(reckoning and Heart are interchangeable with other stuff) are all that you really need for tanking. The rest is fluff.
    But what if I have at least one ret pally in my raid all the time. Would it be still manditory to have vindication and Heart of the Crusader?? and why not Seals of the Pure? Also whats a good Shield Block Rating to have? Also why not 5/5 Reckoning? it adds shield block to each time being hit, or is it just to much some how? like for example, my legs, should i replace those with t8.5 conq legs with Dodge and Parry? Also how valuable is hit rating and expertise for a prot pally? I heard expertise is important because it has a chance for the boss to hit me again.
    Last edited by LuckiCharmzXP; 08-27-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckiCharmzXP View Post
    But what if I have at least one ret pally in my raid all the time. Would it be still manditory to have vindication and Heart of the Crusader?? and why not Seals of the Pure? Also whats a good Shield Block Rating to have? Also why not 5/5 Reckoning? it adds shield block to each time being hit, or is it just to much some how? like for example, my legs, should i replace those with t8.5 conq legs with Dodge and Parry? Also how valuable is hit rating and expertise for a prot pally? I heard expertise is important because it has a chance for the boss to hit me again.
    As tanks we strive to being self-sufficient. Having a ret pally use it is not different than having a warrior use his demoralizing shout. Tanks are also generally more reliable to keep beating on the same target. I keep it because this way I KNOW I'll have it.
    Heart of the crusader... well, look at the alternatives. Imp Might? All but prot paladins have it. Benediction? pshh....
    Nothing says you can't have seals of the pure. In fact it's as sound useful as the ret Threat talents. Reckoning has less value than those, though, even with the new SoV.

My take on shield block rating is that you want it to fill whatever gap you have to have 102,4% avoidance+block. It's low-priority though.
    Hit has less value than strength for total threat, but it's good for the reliability. Expertise follows a similar path, though it's even less useful since much of our threat doesn't get avoided.

So would this be the best set of talents if you would stack lots of dodge enough to have that 102.4%? Talents

or would this put out more output?? Talents
    Last edited by LuckiCharmzXP; 08-27-2009 at 01:17 PM.

102.4% has been optional since crushing blows went away. Feel free to ignore it and focus on the stats that really matter: Stam, Str, Defense, Dodge, Agi. (I personally rank agi above dodge, but most don't.)

+ Reply to Thread