+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spec + Talent review

Spec + Talent review

Hiyall,

Ive been playing wow for 8 months now roughly and started with a human pally...
    I've been leveling with tank spec all the time and worked out pretty well for me..

I wanted you guys to look over my talent build etc to see what could be improved..
    With my current build and gear im 30K unbuffed and fully raid i haven't had yet, but i presume i will hit near 40K..
    I know i miss some points in defence to get 540, and i need to replace some gems for epic ones..
    My armory link: The World of Warcraft Armory

Any tips and tricks are welcome..

In dungeons i usually put up Sanctuary and seal of wisdom ( i seem to run oom all the time if i dont ) and use judgement of light. ( when mana is really bad i tip into the blue one, if divine plea fails to help out )
    When no priest is around i use a stamina scroll and all the time i have Blackened Dragonfin, 40 stam + 40 agi which improves on armor and crit.

Hey,

Lifeward is a pretty lame enchant i would probably swap that out, Accuracy for Threat, Mongoose for Avoidance, Blood draining for EH. You spec is a bit bloated in the prot tree, there is a pretty good write up on Maintankadin here:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21932

and rotation here:

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21933

I would change all of your glyphs too, Devine Plea is amazing, 3% damage reduction for nothing (+ you shouldn’t have mana issues with it up 100%), SoV is insane for the item value and is basically compulsory. The 3rd is really up to you. Judgment is fine there.

Later,

Thanks for the tips Irat, i never had troubles with threat. Only when the dps decides to take on the one not marked or when dps refuses to focus. Only hard times i have is when i got a AoE dps'r that spams all cd's ( eg on blackknight 2nd phase, exorcism and wrath ain't good enough then ^^ )
    So what would be the best option to get om my portable jackhammer?

So far i've done:
    respecced, cant find the link i used but it's 0/53/18
    Done the glyphs ( awesome tip about DP, never bothered to look at descriptions.. Even tho im inscriptor )

Since you are going OOM a lot Seal of Wisdom is NOT the way to go, you want to get Glyph of Devine Plea and keep up Devine Plea (the glyph resets the ability each time you attack). The seal you want to use is Seal of Corruption and make sure you have up Righteous Fury, you are using the correct buff (BoS). For your rotation you should be doing Conc, Holy Shield, Holy Wrath, and any other attacks that do Holy Damage. Holy Shield and Conc are your main threat keepers and they are a must to keep up. Paladins are the easiest threat keepers when you are handling adds, Holy Shield and Conc will help you out along with Avengers Shield. Do not spam Hand of Reckoning on a boss because if you happen to lose threat that skill will be needed and it has a 6 sec CD, that might seem like a little but that is a long time when you have, for example, KT running around like a mad man, which he is O_O".
    That is pretty much all I can think of, Def cap is 540, if you are at the cap and getting better gear start gemming stamina.
    Arghal|Orc Hunter|80|Korgath
    I'm on a boat, doing flips n' $&!%

Quote Originally Posted by Withoutskil View Post
    Hiyall,

Ive been playing wow for 8 months now roughly and started with a human pally...
    I've been leveling with tank spec all the time and worked out pretty well for me..

I wanted you guys to look over my talent build etc to see what could be improved..
    With my current build and gear im 30K unbuffed and fully raid i haven't had yet, but i presume i will hit near 40K..
    I know i miss some points in defence to get 540, and i need to replace some gems for epic ones..
    My armory link: The World of Warcraft Armory

Any tips and tricks are welcome..
    Here we go!
    In dungeons i usually put up Sanctuary and seal of wisdom ( i seem to run oom all the time if i dont ) and use judgement of light. ( when mana is really bad i tip into the blue one, if divine plea fails to help out )

When no priest is around i use a stamina scroll and all the time i have Blackened Dragonfin, 40 stam + 40 agi which improves on armor and crit.
    These buffs are mostly personal. My take is on strength scrolls for the threat and smide of bv. Other other than setting your defense at the minimum, you really only seem to be missing knowledge on how to keep mana up.

Your mana problem is solved with basically two things: Keeping divine plea up(autoattack!) and, when it's both off and on CD, using less mana. With BoSnack and Plea up, i only run out of mana if the mob can't even crack my block value. Consecration is a good spell to skip every other cycle if your mana isn't going up.
    Also avoid using sacred shield if you are running oom.

Done some changes as i posted back a few.
    Also changed helmet to T8.5 one ( conquest emblem one )
    Right now im sitting at 535 def.. In the past i was hanging around 535 and only did HC's, now im planning on doing some more raids and working towards 540 def. I hope that with the T8.5 chest i might hit it..

Buffwise, i always used Sanc, just because of the reduced effect in damage.
    I have SotR / HotR as 6 sec and JoW / HS as 9 sec.. So effectively i am missing out on one 9 sec cast, which could be conc, if it wasn't a mana drainer. ( on bossfights i never have problems, only on black knight 2nd phase sometimes )

Seal of Corruption was removed? Atleast i cant find it.. I now use SoV after reading up on the links Irat posted.

Oom wise was before i found out i could use dp ( i have been misreading the explanation thinking it reduced all incoming healing.. I found that out a couple of weeks ago )

For the glyph, it's Guarded by the Light that does the refresh, the glyph gives -3% incoming damage ^^

Holy Wrath only works on undead targets, and has a 30 sec cd, so a waste to put in rotation..

Im not sure when armory is refreshed with current info, but it should show the changes soon enough.

Tthere's nothing wrong with a gap in the rotation if that doesn't kill anyone.
    If i'm low on mana and tanking only a couple stuff, there WILL be a gap or even two in it.
    SoV and SoCr are the same thing.
    {rant} THERE IS NO SOTR! {/rant}

Shield of the Righteousness ^^

I gave the opbest answer thing, but im still open to any comments when armory is updated to reflect my changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Withoutskil View Post
    Shield of the Righteousness ^^

I gave the opbest answer thing, but im still open to any comments when armory is updated to reflect my changes.
    Shield of Righteousness. no "the" in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephants View Post
    Glyph of Devine Plea and keep up Devine Plea (the glyph resets the ability each time you attack).
    The glyph of divine plea mereley adds 3% DR to divine plea. The talent "Guarded by the light" is what refreshes the duration when you hit an enemy.

Your chest and shield enchants are wrong. Changing both of those to defense will free up some slots that you've gemmed for defense to get stam instead. 20 def to shield is better itemization than the 18stam (bc enchant). Same goes for the 22 defense to chest, it is much better than 10 to all stats or the +275 health.

Any suggestions on yellow sockets what to put in? Just changed enchant on shield to 20 def, so i freed up a yellow socket.

If you still need Def or are going for a socket bonus then i would go +def/Stam or +dodge/Stam.

If you dont care about socket then just gem the stam.

Your in your Ret gear on armory at the moment so i cant see the item. Basically i dont both even looking at socket bonuses unless they are at least +9stam.

I got some new items, so im over the 540 def rate.
    I'll make sure to log out tonight with tank gear on ( god, they need to fix that system ^^ ).

Quote Originally Posted by Irat View Post
    If you still need Def or are going for a socket bonus then i would go +def/Stam or +dodge/Stam.
    def/stam is a green gem and will match yellow sockets. dodge/stam is a purple gem and is what you use for red sockets that you wish to match the bonus.

+ Reply to Thread