+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dying on bosses. CONSTANTLY

Dying on bosses. CONSTANTLY

Hi. I'm a prot warrior, I've been tanking 10/25 uld lately and it seems like I die SOOO much faster than other tanks.
    Even when we one shot bosses, I'll die and the OT has to pick up the boss.
    I know I'm doing the fights right, and I don't usually mess up on that, and I don't think it's a healing problem, since every healer straight up tells me I'm really hard to heal.
    My rotation is usually, Thunderclap, Demo Shout, Devastate to 5, then SS, Rev, Dev and keeping up TC and Demo.
    I try to keep up commanding as much as possible.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
    I don't THINK I'm geared wrong, but I could be wrong.
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    And I just got the shoulders and gloves, thus they're not enchanted.
    //I'm saving for more epic gems.

Nice gear and mitigation, but currently you are not def capped.

You are 538, min required is 540.

This is a must as you would still be taking crits thus making you drop when a boss in uld crits.

Some bosses in uld will still crit a 540 def capper.
    Last edited by muffinaid; 08-26-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: more info

I would advise running an addon like recount. With it youu can track what killed you. This way you can get a bit more insight why you died.

Quote Originally Posted by muffinaid View Post
    Nice gear and mitigation, but currently you are not def capped.

You are 538, min required is 540.

This is a must as you would still be taking crits thus making you drop when a boss in uld crits.

Some bosses in uld will still crit a 540 def capper.
    What boss in ulduar do you think can crit if you meet the 540 def min????

Only boss I ever get crit by is Eadric the Pure in H-TOC and he has that stupid special spell Vengeance - Spell - World of Warcraft so doesn't matter what your defense is next hit crits but then he hits like a girl anyhow.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Thorim will crit you when you are under the effects of Unbalancing strike for starters.

As others said, your def is below 540. And your expertise is ridiculously low for a MT in Ulduar (and your Hit is much more than needed) Get rid of some hit and get some expertise.

But this is all guessing. It would help to have a log of a few fights where you died.

Oops. Sorry about the D-cap thing.
    I make sure I'm D-capped before all runs, (by using my seal of panthenon)
    I had it set like that for heroics. X.x

Yes, I know the thorim situation and what-not.
    But I'm dying on things like 10 Kolo. (really?)

Is expertise really needed?
    I've always thought it was more of a threat thing. (which I've never had much of a problem with)

When you get parried, the boss' next swing is hasted, which can give the healers less time to react.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorla View Post
    When you get parried, the boss' next swing is hasted, which can give the healers less time to react.
    Ah.
    Ok.
    So my next step is to go for expertise hard cap.

Looking at your gear, you *should* be more than fine. Unbuffed you're running between 50 and 55% avoidance, and you have a fairly decent health pool. You say you're keeping Thunderclap and Demoralizing Shout active, so you're doing your part (Although you may consider investing in Indestructible Potions to help further cut down on melee)

For your expertise question; it isn't really "needed" but it certainly is wanted. It is primarily a threat stat, but keep in mind that if a boss parries you it will haste their next attack. This isn't always an issue, but it can result in a death from spike damage. It's strongly advised to at least have around 30 expertise. You don't need the hardcap per se, just a fair bit more than you have.
    "Upon an order we plead, with the lure of a song, a sacred song, to the moon and the stars. An illusionary light is here placed."

Quote Originally Posted by Tankasaurus1337 View Post
    Ah.
    Ok.
    So my next step is to go for expertise hard cap.
    Wait a bit here, while expertise is a nice stat, thinking that it's a must to have it hard capped is wrong. You'll be sacrificing other stats if you go for the hard cap.

It's very good to get about 26 expertise, after that it has only half the value of before 26 so go with what feels best.

Quote Originally Posted by orcstar View Post
    Wait a bit here, while expertise is a nice stat, thinking that it's a must to have it hard capped is wrong. You'll be sacrificing other stats if you go for the hard cap.

It's very good to get about 26 expertise, after that it has only half the value of before 26 so go with what feels best.
    As Orc said, go slightly above soft cap (~30), hard cap will be way too much to gear/gem/ench for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorla View Post
    Thorim will crit you when you are under the effects of Unbalancing strike for starters.
    Yes but Unbalancing strike reduces defense by 200 so technically you are at 340 def it's in that special category like Eadric.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

My thoughts

Now as stated before having lo exprtz in ulduar is verry bad.Them bosses there hit like a train and having your attacks parryd often resulting in next hit coming way faster makes you take loads of spike dmg and die.Not to mention that at som places like thorim where as fight progreses he hits faster and faster and you add parry haste to it, well m8 your dead.
    Im runin round with 206 hit rating and 21 exprtz rating and doing ok
    Using taunt gliph and hit buff food for thorim(hard mode), othervise im using eprtz buff food
    Thers aditional plus to it.With enough exprtize you will make more aggro as you will not miss and can take points from deep wounds and still have no probs, those points can be used in defns skills.
    Next thing il recomend is geting imp. disciplines and gliphing for shield wall.
    Having the ability available 2 times in boss fight can make healers job lot easyr
    Anger managment is prety useless in uld as every mob or boss there will keep you rage bar full, if not you can use berserker rage and shield block to fill your rage pool, and fill gem slots, they dont need to be epic, you can replace em after.
    Last edited by Slayerscythe; 08-27-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Ok. Next question:
    I'm working on putting up my expertise with gems.
    BUT, from looking at the progress so far, with the gems i wont hit 21.
    What are suggestions for good places to find expertise gear?
    But keep in mind: I still want to be able to have the rest of my stats high enough for Ulduar and ToC.

There is a ton of gear with expertise itemization

Here's a quick sample:

Legplates of Sovereignty from EoE25
    Boots of Heartfelt Repentance from ToC 5
    Legguards of Abandoned Fealty from ToC 5
    Horn-tipped Gauntlets from H. Gundrak
    Massive Skeletal Ribcage from Sapp in Naxx25
    Pauldrons of Unnatural death - Anub in Naxx25

Holy cow, your hit rating is ridiculously high. You only need 8% to hit, while you are currently running 11.99% to hit. Get your expertise up to 26 to reduce some of the parry gibbing that might be happening. You seem to be running with too much avoidance as well, I think you would be better off switching some pieces out for more stamina. I would shoot for getting 35k unbuffed if possible. Make sure you're hitting shield block when needed, keep your debuffs up, and manage your cooldowns when you know you have heavy damage incoming.
    Last edited by Omok; 08-31-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Your armory shows that your gloves are unenchanted right now. Try dropping an expertise enchant on them. Other than picking up new gear thats the only thing I see that you can add expertise to.

I think you're gimping your survivability with your gemming choices. It looks like you're trying to make up for the lack of expertise on your gear with gems. For your chest, I'd recommend a 30 stamina gem and Resolute Ametrine so you can take advantage of that socket bonus. You won't lose any health but you'll have a little leeway on your defense now.

Try eating some Rhinolicious Wormsteak to boost your expertise before the fight and see if that doesnt help with the parry-gibs.

I'd recommend farming reg ToC for The Black Heart trinket, and equipping that instead of Defender's Code. That 126 stamina is probably going to increase your survivability more than an extra 850 armor, even with the on-use bonus. Your avoidance looks pretty good but no matter how good it is you're eventually gonna get boned by the RNG and eat back to back hits. When that happens, the extra HP can make the difference between doing the sprawl of shame on the instance floor, or just listening to your healer curse as he brings you back to full health :P (Three guesses which outcome is probably better for the raid.)

*Edit* Curse you Ormok for reading my mind >_<

+ Reply to Thread