+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Treath problem =(

DK Treath problem =(

Hello,

I have been tanking since BC.
    Had a Druid tank 1st and when WotLK launched i started a DK.
    I never had problems tanking.. i was in some small guilds.
    I geared up.. got some epics and after a while i wanted to experience bigger raids.
    I joined a better guild on our server and geared up more and more.
    Our progress in Ulduar was nice and We came up to General.
    After a while everyone got more gear and was getting better..
    I saw that my TPS was rlly too low. Warlocks even over agro me.

My TPS is usualy around 4-5k.
    I can't get it higher than that.

Armory:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tarren+Mill&n=Diokhan

I Tank in frost now atm, have tried blood (tps was easier and was around 5-5.5k)
    Rotation in frost for me:
    Singletarget: IT,PS,BS,BS,OB, Runic dump
    AoE: D&D, HB, BB, runic dump on all targets (tabbing trough them)

I have Runic strike macro'd to all my attacks.
    Gives me less to worry about but still.
    In heroics (without all the buffs) i sit around 4k and sometimes even below.

I hope someone can give me some advice on what to do.. maybe a different spec even.

Thanks in forward,
    Dio

You should give blood a shot, i recently changed to blood myself because frost is great for HC's but its time for me to move on to tank raids. Blood gives you much more threat. here is the spec im using and its a pretty common one:
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    keep both diseases up, DS to get 4 Death Runes, other then that HS. Use Death Coil when you have over 60RP. No threat issues what so ever, Pop Hysteria for extra threat or just give it to a melee. Tanked my first VOA25 today, a semi guild run, at the end i asked a lock that was at about 70% threat if he was holding back, he said he didn't. My armory:
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    Edit:
    I see your glyphs are messed up. That could be the issue.

First off, a common mistake for Frost tanks is not letting Rune Strike go off. Dumping all your RP into Frost Strikes does generate threat, but if you go below 20 RP, Rune Strike can't change the next melee attack to a Rune Strike. Macro'ing doesn't matter if you can't pay the 20 RP cost.

An easy way to see if this is happening is to look at a parse, Recount, etc. and verify that Rune Strike is at least on par with Frost Strike for damage. If you see Frost Strike DPS significantly ahead of Rune Strike, you're starving RS and not getting the 150% threat modifier. AKA, the threat generated by a 2k RS hit is as much as a 3k FS hit. Also, RS can't be blocked/dodged/parried, while Frost Strike is vulnerable to those defenses.

Solution: Don't Frost Strike if you would go below 20 RP. Don't. Horn of Winter to bump your RP so you can FS, use Blood Tap or ERW to get runes to use immediately, but let the macro'ed RS load and fire. I actually have everything macro'ed myself, but I put RS on my bar just to see it light up and remind myself to not use that 'last' bit of RP.

For single target (or focusing on a kill target during AoE), I prefer to use:
    (Glyphs: HB, OB, FS, using one disease)

HB, OB, BSx2, Dumps
    Then
    HB, OB, PS, BS (or pestilence), Dumps

The second part starts the added disease, but requires more management to keep it up. Most of the time, the first rotation is adequate, with a dps/threat bump when I can get PS up and running. KM Procs are held for HB if possible (less than 2 seconds on CD), else I just dump KM into FS.

As your armory is still running Blood glyphs, I suggest HB, OB & FS glyphs. The frost spec itself looks fine, but favors two diseases with Epidemic (I run one disease & spend those two points in Merciless Combat, instead).

Gear: You are significantly below the 26 soft cap on expertise, slightly below hit cap (263 rating). Improving both will improve all your melee attacks, including Frost Strike. Note that Rune Strike can't be blocked/parried/dodged, which means if a parse shows FS damage >> RS damage, you are definitely starving RS and losing RP spent on Frost Strike to dodges & misses. An easy solution is getting Signet of the Impregnable Fortress using Valor badges until you can shift gear/gems/enchants around.
    Last edited by Esch; 08-26-2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Gear added.

Thanks for the replies,
    My glyphs are kinda messy coz i was switching from spec to spec.
    Gonna try a few things and will post results.
    Again thanks for the fast replies.

+ Reply to Thread