+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Twin Valkyrs

we one shotted him!!

Thanks Tankspot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jameak View Post
    This is a very simple fight in 10 man, supprisingly so as the explanation can seem quite daunting. The key points being you must break the shield and get off the interrupt everytime. We missed it a few times on our first attempt which drew the fight out a bit and eventually they enraged through eating some orbs - but then we smashed it on our second, even getting the salt n pepper achievement to boot!
    This is not true at all. Obviously it depends on your level of dps but we just focused on one boss the whole (switching aura's only for vortex).

Quote Originally Posted by Predakhan View Post
    This is not true at all. Obviously it depends on your level of dps but we just focused on one boss the whole (switching aura's only for vortex).
    I'm not sure how it isnt true. If your playing by the rules and not over-geared for the encounter, it certainly is 100% true, otherwise im sure anything goes and you could probably bash your keyboard with both hands and still win. It cant be denied that if you do the encounter in the manner in which it is meant (presumably on face value) to be done, its a very simple fight.

I'm sure many guilds are looking to this topic for advice on the encounter, many of which may not have the super dps that a well geared hard mode 10 or 25 man guild has, to which constructive comments and observations of this nature may help them succeed.

I'm sure many guilds are looking to this topic for advice on the encounter, many of which may not have the super dps that a well geared hard mode 10 or 25 man guild has, to which constructive comments and observations of this nature may help them succeed.
    Indeed
    agree
    /clap

I'm not sure how it isnt true. If your playing by the rules and not over-geared for the encounter, it certainly is 100% true, otherwise im sure anything goes and you could probably bash your keyboard with both hands and still win. It cant be denied that if you do the encounter in the manner in which it is meant (presumably on face value) to be done, its a very simple fight.

I think the point is this: You make it sound like it's a wipe if you miss 1 or 2 shields. Whereas the other poster is saying that's not true. If your dps is enough, then missing 1 or 2 shields isn't an issue. Will this be the case for all groups? No. But it at least dispels the notion that you should simply wipe it if they heal, which is about what one would gather from your post.

I put myself in the shoes of someone new to the fight and attempted to give information that may be useful to people just starting the encounter, having done it, I felt that the shield/interrupt was the most important part to get right. I accept that any experienced guild could easily catch up if they miss one or two shields, however, I am sure there are guilds out there that are walking the thin line between not enough dps and just enough dps, and missing a shield and subsequent interrupt would be a real big deal for them. If everyone new goes into the fight with the expectation that the shield must be broken, and the heal must be interrupted (as we all assume was intended to be) then they are more inclined to perform better when the time comes.

I think its also fair to say that the vast number of posts in this thread indicate how much of a push over this fight is, so the challenge (at least until hard mode) lies with the less experienced/geared guilds to which this information is more relevant (rather than a quick run down of what to do before leaping in and playing things by ear). I appologise if some of it seemed ambiguous, it was not my intention, but at the end of the day I stand by my comment, if you miss a shield and interrupt, you only make it harder on yourself so you should endeavour to prevent this. My opinion is that guilds that can catch up after missing a shield really shouldnt be missing the shield and interrupt in the first place.

First week of 10-man

After a couple of wipes to get a feel for it, I used a strat that seems to be totally off from what any of you guys are doing. We used a single pally tank with 3 healers (Pally, Disc priest, Holy priest), and had the group's OT go dps for the fight.

At the pull, the entire raid attuned to the same essence (We went with light, but it doesn't matter which you get). Upon pulling, we focused the dark twin, and stacked on top of a _dark_ portal. This way, if the Light twin casted vortex, we were all attuned and didn't have to switch targets or essences, and if the Light twin casted the heal, we were already right on top of the dark portal to make switching essences faster and the shielding twin was already at the group. The key to this is that any time you switch to the essence you're stacked on, the group moves back to the opposite type of portal at the next opportunity (not in the middle of a shield/vortex), to maintain the point of being able to switch essences rather quickly.

I would also like to note a few things:

1) In 25man or heroic mode, or if your tank isn't in enough gear to solo tank it, you can follow the same strat with two tanks.

2) This strat does mean that you will have orbs simultaneously damaging the group and giving the boss buff stacks, so be prepared for the extra healing.

3) To settle an apparent issue, I'm quite certain that my group didn't manage to break a single shield, let alone actually interrupt, but I found that our dps was still enough to keep a net loss of hp.

Feedback appreciated.

Just a note, it appears that with the introduction of Anub'arak Blizzard seems to have changed the fight to put in a raid wide AoE debuff that causes (on 10 man) 1500 damage from each boss based on their respective pools of magic. This damage can be partially resisted with auras and fully absorbed with the same type of shield. Not confirmed, but distance from the other twin may also play a part in whether the debuff is applied or not. This isn't raid breaking, as tank damage is still relatively low, but your healers should be made aware.

I feel pretty dumb asking this, but we noticed, last night, that there was an AOE attack hitting us all in the 25 man version. It ticked every couple of seconds and became problematic in a hurry. Any info on this?

Chilek9

This was the ability that Blizzard has stated was malfunctioning the first week of the encounter.

What happens is each of the two valkyr's applies a raid wide aura debuff to anyone who is an opposing color and deals damage to them. Basically every couple of seconds the entire raid takes some damage which adds some healing stress to this fight. In 10 man last night I believe it was ticking for 1500 every 3 seconds. Just something for the healers to watch out for.

At first we though it had something to do with the light or dark attuned but we noticed either side was taking the damage regardless, they were just called something different. We also tested to see if it was because the two bosses were too close together, or if it was caused by light attuned players being next to dark attuned players (think pos/neg charges from Thaddius) but this also didn't hold true. I don't have any definite information on it yet but this is what we've discovered and we simply healed through it.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Took us a few attempts to do last night on 25 man mostly due to losing some dps from the new aura. on 25 regular it was ticking for about 2k, however it seems you can resist some of the damage from a pally shadow aura or a priests shadow protection buff.

Does anyone see any issues with this strat?

All dps will get the dark essence and dps the light-chic

We tank both bosses near the light essence portal

Randomness every 45 seconds:
    If the vortex (aoe nova) is cast by the dark-chic, all is good (cuz we have the dark essence)
    If the vortex (aoe nova) is cast by the light-chic, dps click on the portal to avoid the damage
    If the shield/heal on the light-chic, we are already burning down the shield
    If the shield/heal on the dark-chic, the dps clicks on the portal and burns down the dark-chics shield

If in the above the dps clicks the portal and swtches essence we will drag both bosses over to the other portal to get ready if we have to change later.

Lastly, I think we need someone with the opposite essence running around absorbing all the orbs with their color so they don't hit the boss (and buff them)

It looks like anyone with an essence will be getting a dot debuff on them, so I don't think that the healers want one, since it only increases damage.

it sounds interesting, burning 1 down, the only problem i see is that too many ppl in 1 side will make the orbs dmg more, but also the raid heals easier...mmm.

Last night we had the same issue with the aura, it was not a big deal but the extra orbs they added were making us sweat.

Besides if you DPS the dark one, then you will use Light buff neglecting the light aura dmg from the other, and using Shadow Protection will reduce the shadow aura dmg, so is less dmg taken overall that way, since there is not any light protection buff from classes. I'm going to test that tonite.
    Last edited by Daimon; 09-03-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Radius View Post
    It looks like anyone with an essence will be getting a dot debuff on them, so I don't think that the healers want one, since it only increases damage.
    The stacking "debuff" is good for DPS and doesn't hurt your healer. When it stacks to 100 you will have a damage bonus to the opposite colored boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzor View Post
    The stacking "debuff" is good for DPS and doesn't hurt your healer. When it stacks to 100 you will have a damage bonus to the opposite colored boss.
    I was refering to the light or dark essence from the portals. I was wrong in my point, the vortex does damage to people without an essence as well, so healers have to pick a side.

I think the problem with the strat I posted above is that everyone is grouped up, and trying to click the portal at once. My raid members weren't getting switched over fast enough because they were having problems clicking on it.

Also rereading the descriptions of the orbs from the video an opposite color orb does damage to people around you too. With more people grouped closer that means more damage going around.

Quote Originally Posted by Daimon View Post
    Besides if you DPS the dark one, then you will use Light buff neglecting the light aura dmg from the other, and using Shadow Protection will reduce the shadow aura dmg, so is less dmg taken overall that way, since there is not any light protection buff from classes. I'm going to test that tonite.
    This is not entirely true. Light damage is classified as fire based, and so a simple fire resistance aura helps reduce that a rather helpful amount.

Whatever strategy you use, I would strongly recommend that if you have a paladin of any spec, you ensure that he/she is close enough to the light boss that anyone taking that damage is under it's influence. Even better is to be positioned such that all raid member are influenced for the reason that light orbs will do less damage; this can, however, make things much more difficult for the paladin in question, if not for the entire raid.

I found something interesting that happened in my guild's attempt on Twin Valkyrs. We were doing 25 man and towards 40 percent of the boss's health left, one of the tanks died. Now, this was going on during a twin's pact, so our crazy druid offtank who was tanking the one healing taunted the other boss and started tanking them both. We all called him crazy, but to our surprise, he was able to keep tanking both of them to the end when we killed the bosses. This sparked a new tanking trend in our 10 mans as now we only need 1 tank for that fight.

Tanking info???

Came to TankSpot looking for tanking info. Watched your video here of the twin valkyrs fight. Is this TankSpot or HeyLookAtMyCoolUISpot?
    Last edited by Heyababy; 10-20-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Can someone tell me what is the name of the addon that is on the top right cornner ( the blye bars one ) :P. It seems it keep track on players used abilityes and that is exacly what i am looking for ;}

+ Reply to Thread