+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Twin Valkyrs

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    That's interesting, Lore, you used a slightly different method than we did.

Rather than tanking between the two portals we tanked them each on top of the same colored portal and had dps pre-buff (the portals come out before the bosses) with the opposite color. Doing this we could click the same color buff really fast for the vortex, then use the speed increase from the buff to sprint over, switch back, and be back in place in a flash.

We were also playing with switching dps targets for the dps during the novas since tanking them like that will get everyone hit by the nova. Basically, say you're dpsing Darkbane, and she starts to nova, you click the dark portal, then turn and cast/charge Lightbane for the duration. If you're melee it's actually very easy because you can then click the light portal next to Lightbane when it's done and be right back on Darkbane. For ranged they still need to run out grab the buff and step back in, but with the speed boost that's a quick affair.
    this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Yeah, like I mentioned in the video, there's several different ways to approach it from a positioning standpoint. One of the downsides to these bosses being so easy is that we don't have time to really play with the strategy much.
    and this

we spent at least 3x as much time explaining the fight than it took to actually kill them.

I was explaining the fight to half of the raid midfight still on that kill :P
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

1st attempt we found a pattern, although it may just be coincidence. The light one always got the shield first, then the next shield would be on the black. It went back and forth like this. So on the 2nd attempt, we had all dps start out on the light side, waited for her to get the shield, broke it, then switched to the dark side. Dark eventually got her shield, we broke it, then moved back to the light side. This went on for a few mins, no deaths, easy kill on 25.

Anyone else experience the same predictable pattern or was it just luck?

Update: I just watched Lore's vid. Light got shield first, Dark got shield second. Pattern?
    Last edited by Kytana; 08-26-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: update

we got dark shield in 10 man first.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Ok so my next question is, has anyone gotten the shield on the same one twice in a row? Or does it always switch? I watched a few more vids on youtube, and have yet to see the same one get the shield twice in a row.....

Hardest part of the fight was explaining it to my raid, too.

All this "shadow" "light" ... "light" and "shadow".. Got so increadibly confused But until you count this as part of the fight, this was like the easiest fight i've ever accomplished against two guys having a "Boss" level.
    The five men bosses are harder oO

Lets just all pray for heroic mode... Just one week left ;D

we had the light one shield twice back to back as well, it's random.

every 45 seconds or so I think just a random twin will do a special attack. that's the way it's coded.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

We thought there was a pattern, shield, vortex, light, dark, ect. And our raid leader even called out the next one ahead of time.

Then we finished the fight with 3 dark vortexes in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Obara View Post
    Wasn't mentioned in the video, but I assume tanks want the SAME essence as the Val'kyr they tank? And if so, is healing easy enough to just run with one healer for each tank? I'm thinking about 10-man.
    I actually imagine the hardmode damage will be high enough that this is how it's done. Leading to some painful threat sensitivity since tanks will really be trading damage done for damage taken (you guys all wanted defensive stance! here it is!).
    Last edited by Muffin Man; 08-26-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added a thought

I was explaining the fight to half of the raid midfight still on that kill :P
    Hahah same here, on our 1-shot 10 man kill with me being the only one who had any idea of the fight. Ridiculously easy with even a small idea of the mechanics.

Something interesting I found on 10 man at least was that the nova was not raid wide. We tanked them on opposite sides of the room, and when the Dark valkyr did her nova on the far side, our resto druid who was healing me on the Light side didn't switch - he still had his light buff. He didn't take any damage, being too far away.

Also on 10 man we missed 3 interrupts, because we were having people switch debuffs then switch targets, which took too long, then we had 3 (of our 6) dps die, but still made it through the fight. On 25 man this may be a lot harder to do, but if you miss an interrupt it's not the end of the world, just takes a bunch longer.

Edit: On another note, the shielding is random, we had Light->Light->Dark shield order.

We one shot this boss in 25 (and even in our 10 man alt run), found the easiest way was to tank them back to back and just have dps go on 1 add then swap when they need to. Really dissapointed in this fight, thought it was gona be the first fight to actually require some concentration in totc.

I read up on the encounter, but realized that there were a lot of unknowns, and that just explaining the basics would works best (it's important to note that this was ten man, and we had the best players in our guild there.)

So I said that there would be a black and a white buff, that you could get it from the portals, and that they'd absorbed the damage of the same color.

First pull, both me and the other tank take the buff of the same color as the valkyr - wipe.

Second pull, we mess around a bit, but we get them down eventually. We figured out on the fly what abilities there were and how to counter them. Here's what we did.

Spheres: Just run around randomly when you see them, sometimes you take some damage, sometimes you get a cool buff.
    Heal: Ignore it. We ended up with most of our dps a single color, and we did enough dps for the heal to make the fight slightly longer, nothing else.
    Big bomb thing: swap colors.

And that's about it. Even with the 20% extra damage they were hitting me for about 6-8k, which is peanuts to what I'm used to, and even though we lost a dps early on to something (no clue what), we could comfortably overdps the heals.

I devised a tactic for our guild to follow on our 25man run tomorrow that has all the dps take a single color, swap colors as instructed, and just burn one target. I'll use our druid tank to pick up orbs on the side that isn't being DPSed so she doesn't get the buff.

All in all, this fight had a lot of potential to be fun. It is, at least on 10man, way too easy though.

Looks like early release bugs can work in our favor:

Val'kyr Twins Bug Fixes | Raid | WoW Blue Tracker | World of Raids

Remember normal difficulties means 10 and 25 man now =p.

I was pretty surprised how little raid damage there was... turns out it was a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    I actually imagine the hardmode damage will be high enough that this is how it's done. Leading to some painful threat sensitivity since tanks will really be trading damage done for damage taken (you guys all wanted defensive stance! here it is!).
    With the added bonus of the tanks taking the balls before the boss can get them!

We had the patch implemented while we were in the encounter. All 10 of us got dc'd and were able to relog immediately. At the time, we had no clue what was going on. Later someone found that blue post. We had one real attempt before the hot fix, one wipe (cuz of dc) and a 3rd attempt and kill. Didn't notice any change.

On 10m, the only people that switched for us were dps. had 2 tanks and 2 healers, not a big deal to heal through when 1 tank and 1 healer are only ones taking damage.
    Wise men say "forgiveness is divine," but never pay full price for late pizza.

We did this last night and ten man. Here are a couple things we found out.

We tried the way that the tankspot video suggested and just found it to be too much of a hassle. It was hard for us to split the groups up evenly enough and the healers just got totally confused on picking portals.

Here is the strategy we used along with the raid make up.

Raid: 1 Holy Paly, 1 Disc Priest, 1 Resto Drood, 1 Arms Warrior, 1 Warlock, 2 Surv Hunters, 1 Blood DK, 1 Enhance Shammy, and a Frost DK Tank.

I tanked both Valkyrs and found that to be much easier and faster to down them than having 2 tanks.

What I did was picked both of them up at the start and brought them in between the 2 portals on the right side of the room. When the shields came up, it was easy for everyone to hit a portal and switch to the desired Light/Dark. They went down super quick and never got a heal off because of the extra damage we had from the extra DPS.

We found this be very easy and they went down very quickly without any surprises.

We are anxiously waiting Hard mode 10man, and we are going to attempt this same strategy in 25man this weekend(although I think we are going to have one of the DPS with a tank spec also, just in case we need another tank instead of the single tank).

The changes from the hotfix have not made the encounter appreciably more difficult.

Tanks can survive an opposite-polarity vortex without any difficulty.

-Splug

I didn't switch auras on the first one because I got confused :P I wasn't supposed to be switching targets anyway though as a melee DPS.

In 10man you want everyone to switch auras for the bubble unless you're heavy on ranged DPS. They're not immune to your abilities if you have the wrong aura on, however -- you just deal less damage. So kick, pummel, etc will still work.
    We ran a very heavy melee dps 10ToC and didn't need to switch at all for the sheilds, even after a melee had died(took 4 orbs of the opposite color simultaneously).

I missed my raid inv for 25man cause of stupid authenticating issues >.> but from the 10man it really didn't seem like anyone needs to switch to dps the sheild especially if your group is good about stacking the Empowering Light/Darkness. T

his may just be a difference between guilds just clearing Uld and guilds that were doing Uld Hardmodes, or 25man is very different but with multiple melee dps clocking in at 9-10k dps on 25man 6-7k on 10man for the encounter the shields seem trivial.
    I remember The Beets - Killer Tofu Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Kytana View Post
    Ok so my next question is, has anyone gotten the shield on the same one twice in a row? Or does it always switch? I watched a few more vids on youtube, and have yet to see the same one get the shield twice in a row.....
    Yeah had 2 dark shields in a row at the beginning, then 2 light vortexes,then light sheld and a light vortex again. Found it pretty easy to tank both of them alone in the middle of the arena just running to switch attunment if needed. That's in 10-man ofcourse. Will try the 25-man tommorow if we get past the champs.

This is a very simple fight in 10 man, supprisingly so as the explanation can seem quite daunting. The key points being you must break the shield and get off the interrupt everytime. We missed it a few times on our first attempt which drew the fight out a bit and eventually they enraged through eating some orbs - but then we smashed it on our second, even getting the salt n pepper achievement to boot!

We tanked the two twins each on their like coloured portal at the front. Tanks did not get attuned, only the dps did, and they swapped attunement on the eve of the AoE going off to avoid taking excessive damage, they then swapped back to their respective attunment. Tanks were just healed through as damage is rather light. We used shadow protection and fire resist aura to help mitigate some of the spell damage. We had ranged dps on one, melee dps on the other. Dps didnt go out of their way to get orbs, only block them from the boss to prevent them from being buffed.

Hard mode should be interesting.

It should be interesting to see if this fight actually changes with the hot fix. Downed them with almost no difficulty.. looks like they might have an enrage timer, but need to see if that is true.

+ Reply to Thread