+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Twin Valkyrs

Coliseum Twin Valkyrs

The UI seen in this video is Lore's UI

Quote Originally Posted by Lore (25-man)
    Hi, I'm Lore from Tankspot, and welcome back to the Trial of the Crusader raid guide. In this video I'll be discussing the Twin Val'kyr, the fourth encounter available in the Coliseum raid instance.

Before the pull, you should separate out your DPS into two roughly equal groups, preferably with a mix of melee and ranged classes in each. One group will be assigned primarily to Edyis Darkbane, and the other to Fjola Lightbane. Once the fight begins, four portals will spawn around the room -- two light, and two dark. Using these portals will give you a buff called either Light or Dark Essence which does two things: absorbs all damage of the same type, and increases your damage done to the Val'kyr of the opposite type. So, at the start of the fight, everyone should click the portal of the opposite type of the Val'kyr they're assigned to -- light portal for Darkbane, and dark portal for Lightbane. Healers should click a portal at the start as well, but the color doesn't really matter.

Periodically throughout the fight, several small Light and Dark orbs will appear at the edges of the room and begin to float around. These will explode when touched, and deal a moderate amount of the appropriate damage type in a short radius. This damage can be absorbed by players with the same essence as the orbs, so when they spawn, everyone should quickly absorb any nearby same-color orbs. Aside from keeping those orbs from hitting other players, any time Light or Dark damage is absorbed by your essence, you'll recieve a stacking debuff called Powering Up. Once Powering Up reaches 100 stacks, you'll get a short term buff that gives you 100% increased damage to the opposite type.

About every 45 seconds, one of the two Val'kyr will use one of two random special abilities, one of which is Twin's Pact. This is a very powerful heal that will restore a very large amount of HP to both val'kyr if successfully cast. It needs to be interrupted quickly, but in order to do that you'll have to break through a damage shield that the twin casting the spell will put up beforehand. All ranged DPS who isn't currently attacking that twin should change their essence and switch targets until the shield is broken. Once the shield is down and the heal is interrupted, they can move back to their assigned target.

The second special ability will be either a Light or Dark vortex, depending on which twin is casting it. This is a raid-wide AOE that deals several pulses of the appropriate damage type. Everyone who is currently using the opposite essence will need to change quickly to absorb the damage. Note that this will increase your Powering Up stacks, so DPS who are close to hitting 100 stacks and need to change essense may want to consider moving over to the other twin temporarily. Otherwise, just change back when the AOE finishes.

Note that the twins have a shared health pool. Any damage done to one will be taken by both. The reason we spread the raid out between light and dark essence isn't specifically to split DPS, but to make sure there's enough of each to absorb all the orbs that come out, and keep from having the entire raid switching essence at the same time for a Vortex or Twin's Pact.

It's also important to note that the twins can absorb orbs and will gain the damage buff if they absorb enough of them. This is why we have the raid relatively spread around the room -- to make sure all of the orbs get picked up before they get to one of the Val'kyr.

In this kill, we have the twins positioned roughly evenly between the two portals on either side. If you prefer, you can tank them near a portal of the same color. This will make it easy for melee and tanks to change colors quickly if needed, but they'll have a longer run to get to the other portal and change back. We found it simpler to keep them in a more central location. Ultimately, the positioning doesn't matter as much as simply understanding the mechanics of the encounter and how to deal with them. Once you've got it all figured out, it's just a matter of execution.

It's also worth mentioning that the Light and Dark damage is affected by resistances. Dark abilities deal Shadow damage, and Light abilities deal Fire damage. Most of the Dark and Light damage should be getting absorbed by players using the proper essences, but accidents can happen, and Shadow or Fire resistance buffs and auras can help create a little extra margin for error.

Thanks for watching this video. As always, if you'd like more information on this or any other encounter, check the Project Marmot forums at Tankspot.com. If you're watching this on YouTube, just follow the link in the movie details. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lore (10-man)
    Hi, this is Lore from Tankspot, and welcome back to the Trial of the Crusader raid guide. This video will be discussing our strategy for the 10-man Normal version of the Twin Valk'yrs encounter.

The key to the Twin Valk'yrs encounter lies in the effective use of Light and Dark Essence. You can acquire an essence of a particular color by clicking on one of the portals which will spawn around the room shortly before the fight begins. While affected by Light Essence, you will deal extra damage to the Dark Valk'yr, Eydis Darkbane, and absorb all Light-based damage in the encounter. Likewise, when you have Dark Essence, you'll deal extra damage to Fiola Lightbane and absorb all Dark-based damage.

Absorbing damage is critical to your success, as not only does it make the job much easier for healers, but every absorbed hit will contribute to a stacking debuff called Powering Up. Once Powering Up reaches 100 stacks, you'll get a short term damage buff called either Empowered Light or Empowered Darkness depending on which essence you currently have active.

Periodically, several orbs of light or dark energy will appear at the edges of the room and begin to float around in random directions. When touched, these will explode for a fair amount of AOE damage. Players need to touch the orbs of the same color as their essence, and carefully avoid orbs of the opposite color. This is one of the primary ways for DPS to stack Powering Up, so ideally healers should be the opposite color of the group they're healing in order to avoid stealing orbs from DPS.

Roughly every 60 seconds, one of the twins will begin to cast one of two special abilities: Twin's Pact or Vortex. When Vortex is chosen, everyone in the raid needs to immediately switch to that twin's color if they aren't already, as the twin will begin to channel a high damage non-interruptable AOE that hits the entire raid. Both twins should be tanked near the opposite color portal in order to let everyone switch quickly. Keep in mind that when your essence changes, your damage buff will change to the opposite twin. Ranged DPS especially should switch targets during Vortex. Keep an eye on your Powering Up stacks as well -- if you're close to 100, you'll want to make the most of your incoming Empowered Light or Darkness buff.

When Twin's Pact is chosen, the twin casting it will shield herself and begin channeling a massive heal. All DPS needs to focus on that twin quickly, changing essence if necessary, in order to break the shield and expose the caster to interrupts such as Kick or Pummel. Healers and tanks don't need to change essence for Twin's Pact, and once it's been interrupted, any DPS that had to swap can switch back to their original essence.

Note that the twins share a health pool -- any damage dealt to one will be taken by the other as well. If you wanted, you could just have all the DPS use the same essence and focus entirely on one twin. However, it's best to split DPS somewhat evenly, for two reasons. First, it allows you to have DPS collecting both color orbs, which means faster Powering Up stacks. It also means you'll always have at least some DPS started already when Twin's Pact is cast, and you don't have to risk a heal getting off because the entire raid didn't swap targets fast enough.

The Twin Valk'yr encounter uses a very unique mechanic that can be somewhat confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it this is ultimately a very simple encounter. Just remember - Only touch orbs of the same color as your essence, make sure you're hitting the twin of the opposite color of your essence, and watch carefully for the cues to switch essences. If you'd like to know more information on the Twin Valk'yrs or any other encounter, check the Project Marmot forums at TankSpot.com. If you're watching this on YouTube, just follow the link in the movie details. Thanks for watching, and good luck!
    Additional Links
    Spiritus' Compilation of Twin Valkyrs Information
    Twin Valkyrs: Simple Method to Get You Started

Note: With the updated "fixes" made by Blizzard, there is a raid wide AOE damage that occurs throughout the fight. The damage isn't game breaking but it does add to the amount of raid wide healing that needs to be done.
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Twinks

We found that if one of the orbs on the ground is absorbed it gives several stacks to all members of the raid of the same type. To maximize dps we had all dps get the same essence and our healers would have 2 different and absorb the orbs for the raid (this was a very easy to fight to heal in 10 man). Also switching essences does not remove your stacks. We used this to gain a raid wide 100% damage buff very quickly during the fight where we used hero on our first one. During the heal it was simple enough to just have all the dps switch essences to break the shield and interupt. The twins can be tanked relatively close together and can be moved around the room to position your raid closer to the orbs to change essences quickly.

Cool cant wait to watch it, and try it asap

Wasn't mentioned in the video, but I assume tanks want the SAME essence as the Val'kyr they tank? And if so, is healing easy enough to just run with one healer for each tank? I'm thinking about 10-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Obara View Post
    Wasn't mentioned in the video, but I assume tanks want the SAME essence as the Val'kyr they tank? And if so, is healing easy enough to just run with one healer for each tank? I'm thinking about 10-man.
    No, tanks need to have different essence or they cant keep up on threat with the rest of the raid. Im a resto druid and found that this fight was incredibly light on healing in 10 man.

I was surprised how easy this fight was last night. Did it with much ease, we have more trouble with faction champs then this lol.

None the less the most complicated thing i had for this fight was EXPLAINING what to do. After 1 wipe we figured it all out.

I prefer keeping them on their opposite portal, yeah its a longer run to not die when they cast. however i find it more important for getting the shield off and its more efficient since your running essentially to the portal ya want and the boss.

OVerall was kinda neat.....but like i said.....zomg the explanation was evil. So we decided to make a drawing to help better get the point across. il post it when its done.

Ran last night in 10 man. I tanked the "light" side with the "dark" buff. Didnt seem to be getting all that hard. But enough to keep a nice rage pool.

That's interesting, Lore, you used a slightly different method than we did.

Rather than tanking between the two portals we tanked them each on top of the same colored portal and had dps pre-buff (the portals come out before the bosses) with the opposite color. Doing this we could click the same color buff really fast for the vortex, then use the speed increase from the buff to sprint over, switch back, and be back in place in a flash.

We were also playing with switching dps targets for the dps during the novas since tanking them like that will get everyone hit by the nova. Basically, say you're dpsing Darkbane, and she starts to nova, you click the dark portal, then turn and cast/charge Lightbane for the duration. If you're melee it's actually very easy because you can then click the light portal next to Lightbane when it's done and be right back on Darkbane. For ranged they still need to run out grab the buff and step back in, but with the speed boost that's a quick affair.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by keynann View Post
    No, tanks need to have different essence or they cant keep up on threat with the rest of the raid. Im a resto druid and found that this fight was incredibly light on healing in 10 man.
    This is true about healing in 25 as well. We had a rough time clearing the Faction Champions last night and it took up the rest of our raid time. Those who remained (about half the raid) took a pull to see the fight. Since I was the only tank, I kept both of them on me, and even took an unprotected vortex and the few healers could keep me up. It might be possible that the tanks don't even take a portal buff unless threat becomes too much of an issue.
    "I'm a rage-a-holic! I'm addicted to rageahol!" -Homer Simpson

A couple things we learned while doing this last night.

1) they don't pull right away, so have everyone stay back where the npc to start the event is. This way you can get everyone set up with the right aura before you pull.

2) I haven't figured out why yet but tank dmg goes up from the non-shielded twin during twin pact. The easy way to solve this is to simply switch auras while the dps are burning down the shield, your threat doesn't matter at that point anyway. Just remember to switch back.

3) don't try to explain the whole fight at one time. people like to confuse twin pact and the light/dark vortex. explain each separately and you get to pull faster.

It's an easy fight, but I find it fun.

I tanked the Light one, worship me.

we found that since they share an hp pool, stacking the two valkyr next to each other and using aoe type attacks help burn down the boss fight significantly faster, everything else is done the same.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

What we did on this fight was stacked all our DPS on the dark one. Made everyone except the OT get the Light debuff. We stacked all the melee dps on the Dark boss and kept all the ranged and healers in the center circle of the room. Made it very simple to call out Light/Dark switches. If the light boss started to cast his Bubble Heal we would have everyone grab the dark buff and move to him. And everyone would just stay on him after the shield was broken and dps that one. Switching back and forth as needed. The shared health pools made it easy to do. This is by far the least challenging encounter in the place as we wiped once (It seems so complicated to explain but once you've "seen" it its simple) then we cleared in in about 3 minutes on the 2nd attempt.

Stack the two valkyr up between the dark and light portal where the door is they come out. This lets you run between to the portals extremely fast. The bosses have a huge hit box so you can be almost at the portal and still hit at melee range. Healers do not need to attune. Range dps should spread around the bosses. Orb damage doesn't seem to matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    That's interesting, Lore, you used a slightly different method than we did.

Rather than tanking between the two portals we tanked them each on top of the same colored portal and had dps pre-buff (the portals come out before the bosses) with the opposite color. Doing this we could click the same color buff really fast for the vortex, then use the speed increase from the buff to sprint over, switch back, and be back in place in a flash.

We were also playing with switching dps targets for the dps during the novas since tanking them like that will get everyone hit by the nova. Basically, say you're dpsing Darkbane, and she starts to nova, you click the dark portal, then turn and cast/charge Lightbane for the duration. If you're melee it's actually very easy because you can then click the light portal next to Lightbane when it's done and be right back on Darkbane. For ranged they still need to run out grab the buff and step back in, but with the speed boost that's a quick affair.
    This right here. This strat reduces run time significantly, imo. As well, we had healers take the same portal as the boss they were on. That way they could soak the light orbs on the light boss' side, while the tank and dps on the light side could take the dark orbs, and vice versa. This allows you to keep your two groups separated and still have great orb coverage with no dps ramifications.

I am not sure if this encounter is working as intended. For our guild we simply all went one color except the second tank and his 2 healers. We all just dps'ed one boss and only switch colors for the vortex. It obviously takes longer this way but was easier for people to understand. We just plowed through the one shield and ignored it when the other twin casted it.

I would not be surprised if Blizz upped the amount of healing.

Yeah, like I mentioned in the video, there's several different ways to approach it from a positioning standpoint. One of the downsides to these bosses being so easy is that we don't have time to really play with the strategy much.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I noticed that you didn't switch auras to break the first shield, which I noticed wasn't a huge deal since the raid dps was very high. My question, however, is can you still interrupt the heal once the shield has been burst if you don't switch auras, or are they immune to all your abilities. Not a big deal for 25m since so many can interrupt, this is more directed at 10m.
    Wise men say "forgiveness is divine," but never pay full price for late pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalhaze View Post
    I noticed that you didn't switch auras to break the first shield, which I noticed wasn't a huge deal since the raid dps was very high. My question, however, is can you still interrupt the heal once the shield has been burst if you don't switch auras, or are they immune to all your abilities. Not a big deal for 25m since so many can interrupt, this is more directed at 10m.
    I didn't switch auras on the first one because I got confused :P I wasn't supposed to be switching targets anyway though as a melee DPS.

In 10man you want everyone to switch auras for the bubble unless you're heavy on ranged DPS. They're not immune to your abilities if you have the wrong aura on, however -- you just deal less damage. So kick, pummel, etc will still work.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

If you tank the 2 valkyrs back to back (that is, the valkyrs are back to back in close proximity), you don't have to aura switch because melee doesn't have to move when they switch targets to break the shield. And as Kazeyonoma said, you get the added benefit of your cleave-type abilities (heartstrike, whirlwind, bladestorm, divine storm, etc.) hitting both mobs at the same time, upping your overall raid dps.

We broke every shield with every member of the raid, and nobody aura switched at all except to avoid the overload-type abilities. And I agree, it is technically possible to attune everyone to one color, have them all dps the opposite color, and beat this fight. Eg. both tanks attuned dark, all dps attuned dark, all dps attacks light mob and only switches to avoid the light overload.

I am sure that the hard mode will nix most of these strats and make it actually challenging. As it stands right now, unless your raid DPS is so bad that you can't break the shields down, this fight is probably the easiest in Coliseum.

+ Reply to Thread