+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need gem / enchant advice

Need gem / enchant advice

Hello all!

Long time reader first time poster (bet yah get that a lot ).

I have been out of the game for roughly 3 months now due to RL issues, went to raid last night and noticed that I am way behind the 8 ball in regards to gems / enchants ( and gear ).

Here is my armory

My initial thoughts are to

1) add another +51 stam gem to replace the one on my hat,
    2) drop the + parry / + def gem for a +dodge / + stam (if that exists for yello0w socket)?
    3) replace the +str gems with the new Regal Dreadstone
    4) dropping Icewalker on my boots for Greater Fort.

I am sure there are other improvements that I am over looking, please be kind again, been out of the game for roughly 3 months.

Regards,

Salindril

Personally, the yellow/red sockets I'd gem for orange gems for +10hit/+10Expertise because you're just under the cap for hit and soft expertise cap. Now, that's a TPS suggestion. All the stam gems need to go to epic gems. There's a pure stam boots enchant as you said.
    Remeber Epic gems = 10k honor = 150 Stone Keeper Shards (going off memory).
    So they're virtually free.
    But there is a bigger thing to consider: You're going to replace most of that gear in Reg ToC and with badge gear. So go heroic farm for better gear, I know I know you probably hate heroic farming, but its worth it. I have 32k hp in my DW spec. 34k in my blood spec (with the ulduar weapon). So your stam needs to go up. Other than that, nice.
    Just curious, do you pull enough RP in this build? I find Scent of Blood FAR supieror to chill of grave. Especially when I'm doing a single disease rotation where only OB benefits from CoG, since HB is used to keep AoE/Disease/when Proc is up.

Gems - I'm listing the adjectives, as you are a jewelcrafter with several options. I favor Regal (purple - dodge/stamina), Enduring (green - defense/stamina) & Solid (blue - stamina) cuts. I have used the Accurate (orange - expertise/hit) and Guardian (purple - expertise/stamina) for hitting caps, but generally those are for the last few points gear doesn't supply.

I would definitely replace the strength gems, though I would look at the Accurate/Guardian cuts instead of Regals into order to reach the expertise & hits caps. For yellow especially, using a Rigid (yellow - hit) gem may be your best idea as you are ~56 rating short of being capped there, while you're pretty close to expertise capped. Being a bit below is tolerable, as you will be upgrading gear into t8 via conquest badges and ToC drops, which will provide more stats and possibly solve the hit/expertise shortfalls by gear, rather than by changing gems.

Note that while ToC can be annoying, it does offer a number of gear upgrades, plus folks are farming heroics for the dailies, something your gear is easily capable of handling. Farm m0ar badges.

Spec: You need to pry the points loose for Killing Machine, likely from Icy Talons, and get an addon like PowerAuras Classic to keep track of procs. The dps/threat increase is impressive, but I haven't seen an auto-crit miss... which means you are not as pressured to be hit/expertise capped if HB/FS hits are used as crits. Note the common issue with RP, where you starve it and can't generate macro'ed Rune Strikes, and keep 20 RP (at least) free for RS to use. This RP starvation may be why Channing (above) prefers SoB.

Channing:
    Remeber Epic gems = 10k honor = 150 Stone Keeper Shards (going off memory).
    Excellent option _IF_ I cared about doing PVP never could get into it *shrug*

But there is a bigger thing to consider: You're going to replace most of that gear in Reg ToC and with badge gear. So go heroic farm for better gear, I know I know you probably hate heroic farming, but its worth it. I have 32k hp in my DW spec. 34k in my blood spec (with the ulduar weapon). So your stam needs to go up. Other than that, nice.
    Nah, I need to go hit heroics to shake off the dust from being away good way to kill two birds with one stone

Esch:
    I would definitely replace the strength gems, though I would look at the Accurate/Guardian cuts instead of Regals into order to reach the expertise & hits caps. For yellow especially, using a Rigid (yellow - hit) gem may be your best idea as you are ~56 rating short of being capped there, while you're pretty close to expertise capped. Being a bit below is tolerable, as you will be upgrading gear into t8 via conquest badges and ToC drops, which will provide more stats and possibly solve the hit/expertise shortfalls by gear, rather than by changing gems.
    Ok, if I am following correctly

Replace red +str with Accurate Ametrine
    Replace blue +stam with Solid Majestic Zircon
    Replace yellow +parry/+def with Rigid Dragon's Eye or Rigid King's Amber
    Replace the boot enchant with greater fort
    Also have one available JC gem to use, should I drop in another +stam? or look more towards dodge / exp?

Spec: You need to pry the points loose for Killing Machine, likely from Icy Talons, and get an addon like PowerAuras Classic to keep track of procs. The dps/threat increase is impressive, but I haven't seen an auto-crit miss... which means you are not as pressured to be hit/expertise capped if HB/FS hits are used as crits. Note the common issue with RP, where you starve it and can't generate macro'ed Rune Strikes, and keep 20 RP (at least) free for RS to use. This RP starvation may be why Channing (above) prefers SoB.
    I was just playing with specs last night read somewhere (doubt it was here) that KM's proc off of white hits and I would not benefit from KM as much as I would from Talons.. *shrug* my secondary spec is the one I was running before RL issues hit and Blizz's talent wipe.

Will check out PowerAuras, currently using MSBT which I have configured to through a LARGE font text up indicating procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeroice View Post
    Channing:
    Excellent option _IF_ I cared about doing PVP never could get into it *shrug*
    WG dailies, if you control it, are relatively easy and usually 30 minutes after a battle, it's quiet. I hate pvp, but making 7k honor + 20 shards in 15 minutes isn't bad. Translates into enough to get an epic gem weekly, if I pick up another 10 shards in heroics.

Esch:
    Ok, if I am following correctly

Replace red +str with Accurate Ametrine
    Replace blue +stam with Solid Majestic Zircon
    Replace yellow +parry/+def with Rigid Dragon's Eye or Rigid King's Amber
    Replace the boot enchant with greater fort
    Also have one available JC gem to use, should I drop in another +stam? or look more towards dodge / exp?
    If you are getting hit/expertise capped, OR the socket bonus is worthwhile (ie, +9 stamina), matching sockets is worthwhile. The philosophy is Hit cap, Expertise cap, then Stamina. I suspect a Rigid Dragon's Eye in a yellow socket and two Guardian Dreadstones in red sockets would get you pretty close to the hit/expertise caps, and fill out the rest of the sockets with Solid Majestic Zircons.

Note that if you have rare gems, socketing something like a Solid Sky Sapphire isn't a bad thing, especially if you are going to replace that piece of gear shortly. Try to save the epics for the best gear, things you will have probably for a bit.

I was just playing with specs last night read somewhere (doubt it was here) that KM's proc off of white hits and I would not benefit from KM as much as I would from Talons.. *shrug* my secondary spec is the one I was running before RL issues hit and Blizz's talent wipe.
    KM has a PPM (proc per minute) base on your melee weapon speed. The PPM rate is a buffed by haste effects like Icy Talons/Imp Icy Talons, thus getting more procs per minute as you generate more swings. (Keep in mind, the PPM is set by the original, unbuffed weapon speed, not the actual weapon speed). However, Icy Talons favors DPS as they're not investing into tank (avoidance/mitigation) talents. The strength of KM is the controlled crit, since you can either use Frost Strike (RP), HB (runes) or delay using either, such as when adds are spawning/running towards the group... then use the proc to build significant snap aggro.

If you do opt to keep Icy Talons, get Imp Icy Talons. You're already committed five points towards it, the sixth is a notable buff to your and your group, as well as more chances for melee swings. Note that Rune Strike converts melee swings to Rune Strikes, so more swings means more chances to Rune Strike, avoidance & RP permitting.

Will check out PowerAuras, currently using MSBT which I have configured to through a LARGE font text up indicating procs.
    I'm content with PAC from previous use, though it does have some quirks. Text, generally, is something I want to tune out, as I read it as guild/raid/whisper chatter I want to ignore during boss fights. PAC provides the graphics that fit my style.

+ Reply to Thread