Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anub'arak Encounter

I'd like to get some more information on the stacking debuff from (I assume) the scarabs.

I was tanking the 10 man version last night and as he came back up from the first submerge I saw I had a stacked debuff causing 14,000 damage every 3 seconds and it had 35 seconds left on it. Then I also get another debuff along with that from Anub'arak that increased physical damage taken.

Healers were able to heal through it at the time, but I'm pretty sure it was not at max stacks and it had a long duration so I'd like to identify ways to minimize it.

2 shotted him last night on 10man,

Only 1 burrower spawns at a time.

Blow your cooldowns everytime he is up, there is enough time (~2min between first use and re surfacing) to use them everytime he is up.

M

3 shot the bugger on 25, 2 wipes cause we thought it was a good idea to keep the 4 adds alive(just killed 2 of em to prevent their double damage double attack speed buff).

No problems after, just got a bit spiky with his 25k melee + 18k ice cleave instant.

He has a pretty lax hard enrage, took us 3 burrows phases.

So if it is no longer possible to prevent him from burrowing, there really isnt much benifit to keeping him on permafost. The only people who need to be on permafrost in P1 are the OT's, so the things dont go underground. Further to that, being that he cant be held above ground, dosnt it make more sense to try and spread out the permafrost as much as possible so that there is more room to kite him in P2? I mean since it doesnt really give a benifit in P1 other than to the OTs?

Being that you cant prevent him from burrowing, it seems like its far more practical to simply OT the adds until he borrows, then quickly kill off the burrowers.

Other than that how many people do you normally asssign to drop down frost orbs? Last night our server didnt come up until the very end so we onyl got a few tries, and we were really focusing on trying to stop him from burrowing, which probably ended up wiping us from lack of DPS. Is 1 person enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkar View Post
    So if it is no longer possible to prevent him from burrowing, there really isnt much benifit to keeping him on permafost. The only people who need to be on permafrost in P1 are the OT's, so the things dont go underground. Further to that, being that he cant be held above ground, dosnt it make more sense to try and spread out the permafrost as much as possible so that there is more room to kite him in P2? I mean since it doesnt really give a benifit in P1 other than to the OTs?

Being that you cant prevent him from burrowing, it seems like its far more practical to simply OT the adds until he borrows, then quickly kill off the burrowers.

Other than that how many people do you normally assign to drop down frost orbs? Last night our server didnt come up until the very end so we onyl got a few tries, and we were really focusing on trying to stop him from burrowing, which probably ended up wiping us from lack of DPS. Is 1 person enough?
    You want to keep him on or near permafrost so the OT can stand in the melee and their cleaves can also help nuke down the adds. That's really the only reason to. Plus it allows people quick access (melee) to a permafrost when he burrows so no sudden "burst" damage occurs from getting hit with the spikes.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

OK,

We were able to pick him off last night.

What a great fight.

How we failed:
    Assigning 3 ranged and 2 DKs to KEEP snow down trying to prevent a burrow (which we know now cannot be achieved)

Assigning all melee to attack adds while they are up, and leaving remaining ranged on boss at all times.

We were not seeing enough DPS to prevent boss from enraging.

How We Failed Again: Trying to Stun, CC, Tidal Wave (which does work) ALL adds until the boss burrows, then burn adds. (we survived 1 burrow this way, but tunnel visioned so hard we weren't standing on snow when he burrowed and shortly after we imploded, vowing that that took too much healing to work affectively)

How We Won: Treating the ENTIRE boss fight like Yogg phase 3. We stacked the Entire raid excluding 1 hunter whos job it was to produce as much snow as possible (the snow was used as our areas to stand on while DPSing boss and adds and defensively during burrows) Everyone else from the raid stood behind (in the bosses booty) including the 2 OT's with adds held there as well. All we did was burn burn burn boss, switch to adds....burn burn burn, switch to adds. once the boss Burrows the "persued" person runs away as best as possible through the snow the rest of the players clean up the last few adds.

ONCE THE BOSSES REACHED 35% we put all dps on a mad cleanup adds race, waited for the boss to burrow (this would be his 3rd burrow so we could have phased him by the 3rd burrow. We let that 3rd burrow occur did cleanup brought him out. phased him. blew CD's called cooldowns on MT and kept everyone between 30 and 50% HP until down goes the boss.

During All failed and the successful attmpet on boss we 3 tanked (2Pally + 1 warrior)

During all failed and successful attempts we 5 healed (1 Tree, 1 Pally, 1 Holy Priest, 1 Disc Priest, 1 Resto Shammy)

Just looking at the approximate timings on the borrows on that vid it appeared to be 1:22 above ground followed by 1:03 below on both cycles. That also seemed to be the case on other videos I've seen, but obviously those figures could be inaccurate based on the video format used.

Obviously if Phase 3 has started when this time comes around, there is no burrowing going on.

Wiped 10 times on Heroic Anub ;_; Can someone explaim me the good stategy? We die in p2. What we have to do? How many permafrost we have to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkar View Post
    So if it is no longer possible to prevent him from burrowing, there really isnt much benifit to keeping him on permafost.
    As mentioned above, to keep enough dps on the big guy it seems really useful to bring adds up to the boss to be killed, so permafrost helps for that. Plus, it's worth pointing out there's no convincing argument why tanking on permafrost is in any way bad.

I think over-extrapolating from database mines kind of got us fixated on certain used of permafrost, though, and I agree that spreading it all over the place will make for a better phase 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlink View Post
    Wiped 10 times on Heroic Anub ;_; Can someone explaim me the good stategy? We die in p2. What we have to do? How many permafrost we have to use?

Grand crusader or 25? in 25 we just shot em randomly and let the chasee run away from the main raid and lure him into frost.

Downed him last night. Got him down to 1% first attempt, then he enraged (we were learning). It was surprisingly easy. We even did it with 3 (very skilled) pugs.

Things I noticed:

1) Burrow timers are independent of his health (probably about a minute thirty or so). This isn't like Onyxia 1.0, where she would start flying around at certain health percentages. The first time, when we were learning, we hardly did any damage and he burrowed. The second time, we took a fairly good chunk out of his health.

2) Enrage timer is 10 minutes.

3) We had only one person on the orbs. You don't need to cover the whole area with frost and if you do, you'll probably lose out on dps.

3) The fight is a lot like Flame Leviathan, without vehicles. Pew pew the floaty things (not as much pew pewing needed, though), run away when being pursued. Be sure not to be between the person being pursued and Anub, unless you want to get mowed over.

Why is everyone using a feral to tank this guy on 25man heroic? Can they macro out of freezing slash instantly? I wouldn't think it was due to raw hp... cause a paladin's AD I think would definitely give them the edge (again) unless druids can cheese the stun.

How fast can the Shadow Strike cast possibly get?

the heroic 25 is, to be honest, the most enjoyable fight i've "tanked" to date. dealing with the nerubians is pretty awesome, from an individual play perspective . people are using feral tanks because they can drop hp to stack armor extremely effectively, and run nr enchants (helm/cloak/bracer) to severely diminish anub's tank damage, particularly sub-30%.

ss is 8 sec / 4 sec / 2 sec / 1 sec depending on the # of adds within range of each other.

delete this post.
    Last edited by gacktt; 09-13-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_AllCOM3 View Post
    How fast can the Shadow Strike cast possibly get?
    with 4 adds stacked together it is instant cast but they are affected by cast speed slows suck as tounges

what's the trick to kiting this guy on heroic 10? we had so many problems on most of our attempts on kiting him around, most of the time the person would get to the permafrost and he'd kill the kiter then hit the permafrost.

If you are in the permafrost while kiting him then you will take an unavoidable 16k damage, most of the time.

We don't really kite him much, with 5 orbs to use for heroic10(and 1 for the spare phase) you can pretty much just kite for a couple seconds and make him hit the permafrost, I'd wager you can just straight up enter the permafrost without kiting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by michah View Post
    the heroic 25 is, to be honest, the most enjoyable fight i've "tanked" to date. dealing with the nerubians is pretty awesome, from an individual play perspective . people are using feral tanks because they can drop hp to stack armor extremely effectively, and run nr enchants (helm/cloak/bracer) to severely diminish anub's tank damage, particularly sub-30%.

ss is 8 sec / 4 sec / 2 sec / 1 sec depending on the # of adds within range of each other.
    Drop hp? From the videos that are out, it looks like the anub tank was heavily pushing raw stam. 55-60k. I just thought a paladin's AD would give them the edge here, esp during the last 30%.

incorrect, the videos that are out usually have an agi stacked feral running about 47k-48k hp as the primary anub tank (25-heroic), because of their extremely high mitigation/avoidance and low DoT damage taken. it's the perfect fit for the fight. the offtank for adds is usually a warrior/warriors or paladin with a full block set and 3k+ block value (can get into the mid 3k's raid buffed). again low hp to offset the DoT damage in the last 30%, and 0 or almost 0 damage taken from the nerubians (all 4 tanked at once). you can use 2 tanks as well, but be prepared to have a slightly more stacked group comp (3 rog/4 dk as per paragon, similair setup for Irae AoD's 2 tank setup), as you will really need to pick up the damage to make it to 30% before the third submerge when you drop that additional dps slot for a third tank.