+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bear Druid gear, rings and neck

Bear Druid gear, rings and neck

Hi,

I was wonderring if any of you had any thoughts on the following:

I'm a bear druid, 42k health 65% armor mitigation raid buffed.

I'm considering what rings/neck to get, (either through emblems of conquest or through drops) Now it seems to me that most "tanking" items are really meant for plate-tanks. The stats on those are stamina, defense, dodge and strength. Now for a druid, defense doesn't seem as necesary, and with my health stamina isn't that important anymore, so it seems that the more rogue-like dps neck & rings are more suited. The agility gives more dodge than an "tank" item of equivalent ilvl, the AP bonus is comparable to what I'd get through strength, and they often have other nice bonusses such as +crit & +hit. Only thing lacking is the stamina, but if a boss can eat through 42k without a healer noticing, I doubt an extra 2k or so will make much of a difference.

What do you guys think?

--Paro

PS
    Now to convince all those rogues i'm allowed to roll on 'their' ring

There /is/ a quick and dirty way to know, it envolves a 2 step process:

1. The Druid Wiki - ToskksBearTTLCalculator
    grab the stat weights from there

2. Download and install GearDPS addon, and feed it the stats weights from above

You will now have a quick and dirty way of comparing the items through a simple number. I know it's not as accurate as full blown simulations, but it will pick up significant upgrades.

And 2k more HP on top of 42k HP can mater. Just think you are not taking boss hit #211 on top of full hp, but at 80% hp, factor in some defensive cd/RNG, and now that extra 2k hp may just be the thing that saves your life.

Case study:
    A few days ago, HC VH, the arakoa boss. Me and the healer decide to do some experimenting, and we get the 2 adds killed first, enraging the boss (makes him do stormstrike w/o cd..teh ouch). Suffice to say there were 2 occasions where my hp droped from buffed 38k to below 1k. Have i not been using a stamina buff...that would have been a death (we killed the boss btw).
    Last edited by Timberton; 08-26-2009 at 02:35 AM.

I'm at a similar point in terms of gear, and I've simply gone with 2 sets of gear - set 1 is for progression content, or pugging with healers I don't know/trust; set 2 is for heroic farming or other content that our group out-gears.

Switching rings/trinks/neck/back is a pretty simple change but yields some big results, and I think that having multiple sets for multiple roles is really the best way to go. In my opinion, best-in-slot applies much less to tanks than it does to dps and, to a lesser extent, healers.

Example:

My progression set gives me these stats (unbuffed):
    38.3k hp, 28.6k armor, 37.9% dodge, 37.6% crit, 4908 ap, 241 hit, 31 exp

My farming/heroic set gives me these stats (unbuffed):
    34.7k hp, 27.3k armor, 37.5% dodge, 44.9% crit, 5354 ap, 245 hit, 25 exp

The big gains are obviously crit/ap vs stam/armor. The only differences between the sets are:

Neck: Endurance of the Infernal (tank) vs Broach of the Wailing Night (dps)
    Back: Cloak of the Shadowed Sun (tank) vs Hammerhead Sharkskin Cloak (dps)
    Weapon: Origin of Nightmares (tank) vs Journey's End (dps)
    Ring: Gatekeeper (tank) vs Surge Needle Ring (dps)
    Trinket: Essence of Gossamer (tank) vs Mirror of Truth (dps)

Just my experience (which is admittedly limited), get 2 sets of gear and use what works. I like contributing to dps as much as possible, so I use dps gear when I can afford to.

I used to think that defense was wasted itemization for a bear, but it does increase your chance to be missed, which isn't covered by SotF talent. I would still keep going with tanking necklaces and rings.

Additional information:
    -Str gives 2 AP, whereas AGI gives NO AP in bear form, just dodge/armor/crit (for savage defense). For a bear, Str is a good threat stat, along with hit and expertise. Do not be sad if you get some. Also alot of our talents and BoK increases strength, unless you have some from gear there isn't much to scale your threat with raid buffs (whereas your DPS will have their DPS scaling with raid buffs).
    -I dare you to bring forth anybody who says you have enough stamina. There is NEVER enough, even as a bear. Moar is always better.
    -Dodge isn't as good as agility, but if you get it, it's our ONLY mitigation stat.

Now, let's look at DPS necklace stats
    -Haste leads to waste for a bear, as it gives the boss more opportunities to parry your attacks (unless you have enough expertise). From bear DPS itemization standpoint you are better off with crit or hit.
    -Armor Penetration - It's a funny stat, where unless you have gobs of it, it's useless. As a bear tank you won't have enough ArP to get to that point as your gear will be filled with survival stats.
    -Crit Rating - It's not bad, but you are better off with agi which gives dodge. Crit is useful for Savage defense uptime as well as filling up the rage bar with swipes (every crit is extra rage).
    -Agility - While it is a prime stat for bears, it comes at the expense of stamina on DPS gear. Remember, the prime value of agility is to translate to dodge, and that is subject to diminishing returns. Stamina is not capped or diminished in any way.
    -Hit and expertise - These are good stats to have, but you will also see them in tanking items too, especially expertise.

The thing I am running into is that equivalent gear (same amount of badges, for example) has either 50 str or so, along with some defense rating and a lot of stamina, or 100 AP along with some agility, other stats, and some stamina. Since for druids 50 str is exactly equivalent to 100 AP (plate users get extra bonusses from strength, we don't)

So while strength is a good stat for druids, twice as much AP is good as well, hence my dilemma.

Remember that strength scales with Blessing of Kings, and attack power does not. It isn't a huge difference, but it is a difference. Same with agility over dodge (which is why the 226 idol is better than the 245 idol for tanking).

In my opinion, if you are limited to one gear set, go with the strength gear, or "true tank" gear, because you're almost always going to find more stamina on it. And I would echo the poster above in saying that you cannot have too much stamina.

I've always put Stamina and Agility at the top of my list for gear, enchants, and gems. I do need to replace my idol though, I'm still rolling some 70-something idol because I just haven't thought about it.

+ Reply to Thread