Gear Sets and for which bosses
Hello once again.
Today I'm questioning the following:
1) I saw a MT/EH/BV/AV list somewhere and was trying to collect the different items for different gear sets. Where's this list again ?
2) Do I really need different sets of gear ?
3) Which bosses do I need the different sets of gear for ?
Now I think I might partially be able to answer some of my own questions. Such as yes I do need a different set of gear to max avoidance or BV for threat generation, or maxing my effective health since there's different types of encounter that which if I have those sets will make our raid lives easier. But I'd like to know - is it really necessary ? I havn't tanked past 8/14 in Ulduar yet or past the 3rd encounter in ToC 10 yet so I really dont know much about how the bosses work or which sets are required for which bosses.
Thanks for your help.
1). No idea, never found that post myself : /
Originally Posted by Goldmonger
2). Not anymore, most of the encounters have been either nerfed and with the availability of new gear (Crusaders Coliseum) enable you to complete ulduar with only one set of balanced gear. In most causes if you feel you need somthing a little different for an encounter (i.e. more avoidance, cooldowns) simplely changing your tanking build will surfice.
3). You dont really need it for any of them however i would recommend either being hit capped or having a large amount of expertise to maximise your TPS for encounters like Thorim and General Vezax and the DPS can get extrmely high amounts of TPS.
1) This is probably what you were looking at if you were looking here on tankspot:
2) You don't NEED different sets of gear, i can tank any fight in my EH set just fine. The thing to keep in mind is that multiple sets let you handle different situations in different ways. Gearing for threat/dps when tanking trash is just one of the more common examples of a good use for another set.
3) This is something that is totally situational. What boss you're tanking? Are you doing a hard mode or a normal mode? Are you tanking trash and not a boss? If it's trash what kind of a trash pack is it? How many healers you have? What is the skill level of your healers? These and more are questions you need to ask yourself when choosing a set to use for any given situation.
Last edited by Diridin; 08-24-2009 at 11:18 AM.
I don't really have spare full sets, but I do carry a spare Helm with me with the Magic Reduction meta in it for magic-heavy fights, a Frost Resist set for Hodir, a range of trinkets and rings (Repelling Charge is good for maintaining the defense minimum in FR gear, for example) and a few pieces with Block Value on for trash or OT duties. Most of my set is fairly static but I have a couple of bits I'll move around per encounter, basically.
Originally Posted by Diridin
Does a list exist that can summarize what best types of tanks are suited for a specific encounter ? In other words; how do I know if for a fight I should be gearing for EH, or gearing for AV ?
The trash was a very good point which I didn't really consider since I have not been having difficulties tanking all trash - but then again; maybe that's just because our dps in our raids isn't up to par or high enough for me to NEED a threat set for trash alone.
For the last question GoldMonger what I use to decide which gear set I ask my self these questions.
Is it a regular swing timer, does the boss have physical spike damage, is there heavy magic damage? Those all contribute towards an EH set. I use my avoidance set for very fast swing timers(an example would be Algalon or patchwek), very slow swing timers(Vezax is a good example of a boss where your healers can heal you up between hits), and non burst in which my healers can't keep up with. If it is a threat sensitive fight such as Hodir or if your guild is lacking the dps to do hardmodes.
Remember you don't need multiple sets but in my opinion it helps gearing towards each encounter, once you get all Ulduar hardmodes or ToC drops it is better to use just one set since you won't really be gimping any stat. Squirlnut has a good thread about using one gear set once you get loads of gear which goes good with Halandir's and Jayson's guide that show the best piece for EH/AV/Threat etc.
Last edited by krc; 08-29-2009 at 08:49 AM.