+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cataclysm's massive guild changes

Cataclysm's massive guild changes

This has so many far-reaching significances.
    I'm really impressed. It will be a very real differentiator between one guild and another, that goes beyond "have tabard and guild bank".

Guild Advancement

We continued with the presentation discussing exciting new features that will provide guilds with avenues to further advance, both on an individual basis and as a whole that culminates into a more immersive level of guild development. With these upcoming guild advancement features, guilds will be able to acquire talents and provide guild members with leveling benefits, as well as acquire guild achievements, guild professions, and other cool features.

Guild Leveling and Talents
    We've introduced a new guild feature that will provide options for players to earn guild experience in a variety of ways. Players can earn guild experience through leveling, reputation ranks, boss kills, Battleground and Arena wins, and profession ranks. The top twenty earners from the guild per day will contribute to the guild experience total.
    With every acquired level, guilds will receive talent points that they can then spend towards their guild talent tree, which affects all guild members in the guild.

Additionally, guild experience is converted into guild currency that can be used to purchase a wide variety of rewards, such as guild profession plans and reagents, vanity items, and talent respecs.

Guild Professions
    Guilds that use guild currency to purchase profession plans will be able to share any purchased plan with the rest of the guild via a vendor and skill trainer. Guilds are also able to create guild heirlooms; these items bind to the guild so that anyone in the guild will be able to acquire them. Just like the normal heirloom items, guild heirloom items will also scale with level and will support all armor and weapons.

Guild members will also be able to take advantage of being able to create guild-specific versions of items that require fewer or different reagents. The new reagents are purchased from guild vendors via guild currency, and there will be support for all professions.

Looking for Guild
    With the Looking for Guild feature, we're making it easier for players to find a guild. We're also looking to provide guild leaders more options to make it easier to recruit new members. The new tool will provide filters based on various requirements and will have a simple and easy-to-use interface.

Guild Achievements
    Players can earn achievements as a guild, with each requiring a minimum ratio of guild members to complete. We've also introduced new achievements that guilds can partake in. One example is becoming Grand Master in all professions.

Features
    Guilds will receive a special guild news-feed that will show them updates on happenings within the guild such as achievements, boss kills, etc. Guilds will also have access to profession info for their members and more. In addition to these features, guilds will also be able to acquire a percentage of gold looted on boss kills that will go directly to the guild bank. Additionally, guilds will be able to invite other guilds to events.
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

I think these changes will slow the creation of 'zerg guilds' and encourage inclusion of alts into raiding and higher level guilds as people will want those heirloom goods for their alts. These two things combined should reduce the number of accounts per guild but increase the number of characters.

For huge old guilds like mine that have 200+ accounts and has been bumping it's head against the 500 character soft cap for nearly three years, this might be rough. We will be forced to limit the number of alts in guild (we already have a 'no banker toons, no toons below 60 unless it's your main' rule). It's possible that this could cause some splintering.

For smaller guilds it will be far more beneficial, plenty of room for alts, still enough characters to get the achievements and heirloom items.

Raiding guilds will face their own set of challenges, most limit or prohibit alts in guild, this will need to be looked at seriously as many raiders have an alt or two that support their main through professions.

Overall these changes are exciting and I think they will benefit guilds in general by making membership more valuable.

Good points.
    You know what would be GREAT is if the "Looking for Guild" feature was cross-realm like the new LFG system.
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

I'm not sure if wow needs a "guild differentiator", it will only encourage what happened in Warhammer, where each server converges into 1 massive guild on each faction and there's less flavor to the game in the end. Currently wow guilds are just that, groups of people that form a guild to do whatever.

I welcome these changes with open arms. As was said previously, it will be a real differentiator between one guild and another. I look forward to taking a look at these changes in action.

Half of the things are not needed really, any guild that takes recruitment seriously will screen applicants, and the same goes to guild news, boss kills, raids happening ect ect they will have a website.

Some points have me confused, a "pro" guild could be downing bosses and such and get their 20 people count for the "points", where as a regular joe guild who do daily's and bg's and not much else get their 20 people counting from say bg wins. I'm guessing they will have something to separate this happening.

Guild Progression

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    Half of the things are not needed really, any guild that takes recruitment seriously will screen applicants, and the same goes to guild news, boss kills, raids happening ect ect they will have a website.

Some points have me confused, a "pro" guild could be downing bosses and such and get their 20 people count for the "points", where as a regular joe guild who do daily's and bg's and not much else get their 20 people counting from say bg wins. I'm guessing they will have something to separate this happening.
    I'd be hesitant to allow cross-realm chat without restriction. Bearing in mind the degree of gold-spamming people already get, having it cross-realm would be a step backwards, unless this issue is resolved first. Personally I'd prevent chars from using whispers OR general chat until they have PAID at least one month. I'd put a 1 hour cooldown on deleting characters, so if a char was flagged as a vendor the account could be identified within an hour and suspended immediately.

Regarding the "Pro guilds", the use of "websites etc" does not in any way indicate how "pro" a guild is. The vast majority of WoWers if you take the time to ask them, couldn't give two hoots about websites. They log on to play...

I don't believe in any way or any time that Blizz have indicated that the guild system will favour "pro guilds" above all others. The feature is planned to allow for point accumulation from numerous sources, not just end game raid content.

I am personally looking forward to the effect this will have on the top end guild on the servers. Instead of arguing who is the better guild between the best 2. Which ever one has more achievements and the higher level is better. So this makes me think that Caty WILL yes i said WILL be the most competitive expansion to this date!

+ Reply to Thread