+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calculating the 4 piece T9 gain

Calculating the 4 piece T9 gain

Allright, brain wave, I figured the 4 piece T8 bonus would actually be useful... Well, I had a go at this - I made an Excel spreadsheet (I can vary most stats in there, but everything remains biased on my assumptions)factoring in the following stats - basically trying to figure out the whole block mechanic. I posted this in the theory forum because this ended up more of a block excersize than anything else.
    I'm not sure if I did this right so feedback is appreciated - especially if I ASSumed wrongly!

The biggest assumption I made, is that block is factored in before armor. If that's wrong my numbers are completely off and block gets a little bit better. However... The damage amount I chose is pretty close to a hard hitting boss'netto damage amount. Though I would need to digg into mitigation percentages of certain armor leves before I would even begin to get close to actual block mitigation percentages! Obviously the mitigation percentages are VERY easy to manipulate by lowering the amounts of incomming damage!

I set the boss to hit for 22000 damage every 2 seconds
    I set the chance to block (excluding shield block) at 16%. I assumed block thus has a 16% chance on occuring on the grand total of swings.
    I set the base block value to 1200
    I set the duration of the calculation to 120 seconds.
    I factored in critical block at 30% - and both phases (more on that) have a 30% chance of a crit block. The amount blocked doubles.
    Assumption: Critical blocks occur during 'Shield Block phases'
    I set the avoidance to 50% for convenience sake.

Phases - with and without shield block.
    Standard (talented) shield block cooldown is 40 seconds. Ideally in a 120 second time frame shield block would be up for 30 seconds. I'll just separate calculations for the time with shield block up and the time that block functions 'as normal'. In this example that's a 90 second time frame.

Phase 1 - No shield block active
    Right that would be 90 seconds normally. That's 45 swings (2 second timer). On average 22,5 of those swings will not be avoided. 22,5 x 16% = 3,6 blocked hits. 1 of those will, on average, be a critical block.
    The total amount blocked would be the following then:

2 critical blocks: 4800 (1200 blockvalue, doubled)
    7.2 normal blocks: 8640
    Total blocked phase 1: 13440

Phase 2 - With shieldblock up
    So 30 seconds of shield block uptime. Block value is doubled - I'll assume here that this is doubled up further (I think I have spotted some 4k ish blocks in my combat text)
    An uptime of 30 seconds, with 15 blows, 7.5 of those are avoided (avoidance 50% and I'm assuming that shield block does not push doge and parry of the table that'd be quite the disadvantage for shield tanks)
    2.5 (3)cricical blocks 14400 (yes I was generous here by rounding up)
    5 normal blocks 12000
    Total blocked phase 2: 26400

==============

So let's look at this in the light of total mitigation then (here's where I suspect I may make some errors).
    Duration / swings = 60 swings
    Swings * Avoidance% = 30 swings
    Damage intake without block: 660.000 (30 x 22000)
    Amount blocked: 39.840
    Average blocked mitigation : 6,04% (39840/660000*100)

======================================
    With the T9 setbonus
    Shaving 10 seconds of the shieldblock cooldown would give it an uptime of 40 seconds.

Normal block would give:
    40 swings in 80 seconds
    6.4 of those would be blocked 7680
    1.92 of those blocks would be critical 4608
    Blocked mitigation 12288

During shield block uptime:
    20 swings in 40 seconds
    10 of those swings are avoided, 10 are blocked
    7 are blocked 16800
    3 of those blocks would be critical 14400
    Total: 31200

Adding both up: 43488 total amount blocked
    =============
    Duration / swings = 60 swings
    Swings * Avoidance% = 30 swings
    Damage intake without block: 660.000 (30 x 22000)
    Amount blocked: 43488
    Average blocked mitigation : 6.58%

Conclusion (?)
    If my calculations above are completely correct (fat chance) then the bonus mitgation from the 4 piece T9 bonus would be quite lackluster unless you'd have _a lot_ of blockvalue. I suppose this is what everyone browsing over the new tier pieces initially thought.
    My lack of proper signature actually is a proud minimalistic stand

It definitely will be lackluster unless we are tanking bosses which hit fast for small-medium amounts. Just like block in general. To me, t9 4p is a threat bonus. That's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethelas View Post
    The biggest assumption I made, is that block is factored in before armor. If that's wrong my numbers are completely off and block gets a little bit better.
    Block (value) is factored in last, after armor mitigation, just like absorbs.

+ Reply to Thread