Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Twin Valkyrs Encounter

I wonder, we didn't really test it, but there didn't seem to be a drawback to having them next to each other (obviously your off-target damage suffers on cleaves/aoes, and you have to run out to get a portal, but otherwise...).

I wonder if Heroic will have something that will make you want to keep them separated. I'm a little surprised it isn't a baseline thing.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    I wonder, we didn't really test it, but there didn't seem to be a drawback to having them next to each other (obviously your off-target damage suffers on cleaves/aoes, and you have to run out to get a portal, but otherwise...).

I wonder if Heroic will have something that will make you want to keep them separated. I'm a little surprised it isn't a baseline thing.
    We tanked ours in the middle about 10 yards apart from each other so melee could switch really fast without running across the room.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post

In our 10 man run, the second tank died (somehow) and I taunted and picked up both Valkyrs. I tanked them both for several minutes without issue so it seemed to be a non issue. Their hit boxes are quite large and I don't think you would want them standing on top of eachother, but it seems doable. Eventually we lost too much DPS to get through the shields and wiped it, but the actual tanking was not bad at all.

Really easy and what turned out to be a simple fight, but if your a guild that has "slow" players they will die unless you have like 5 goes for them to understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sark View Post
    In our 10 man run, the second tank died (somehow) and I taunted and picked up both Valkyrs. I tanked them both for several minutes without issue so it seemed to be a non issue. Their hit boxes are quite large and I don't think you would want them standing on top of eachother, but it seems doable. Eventually we lost too much DPS to get through the shields and wiped it, but the actual tanking was not bad at all.
    Same thing happened with us. Other tank died near-instantly somehow, lol, so I ended up tanking both for the full fight (took a while cause 1 dps DC'd and we ended up missing 2 heals). On 10man at least, it's a 1tank fight pretty much (at least for a normal-mode kill).

Since the most crucial bit is when is when they put up the shield we found it extremely easier and faster to have the ranged stay positioned between the Valkyr(always tanked between the 2 portals) and the opposing color portal.

That made bringing down the shield pure childs play.

The vortex was never a problem since the cast time is long enough for everybody to run to the other portal.

When the little orbs spawned the groups would quickly scatter to pick them up and then return to their previous position.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

more logs if you want to digg trough...

In general, we spoke so much about the fight here that fight seamed really trivial.

From the log I saw that once shield is cast on one Twin, other one gain Power of Twins and start to dual wield and increase attack speed by 10% each second, maximum to 150%. MH Melee damage arround 10K on geared tank and OH up to 7K, MH and OH are same attack speed and occur at same time.

Power of the Twins - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Val'kyr Quickness - Spell - World of Warcraft

I can confirm to that stacking buff last 15 sec or until shield is broken. Later in the fight stacking buff lasted on Lightbane only for 11 sec. One more reason to down shield fast, to avoid spike damage on tank.

Code:
    [21:27:14.046] Fjola Lightbane gains Shield of Lights from Fjola Lightbane
    [21:27:14.046] Fjola Lightbane casts Shield of Lights
    [21:27:14.093] Fjola Lightbane begins to cast Twin's Pact
    [21:27:14.421] Eydis Darkbane gains Power of the Twins from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:14.421] Eydis Darkbane casts Power of the Twins
    [21:27:14.437] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:16.265] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Dodge
    [21:27:16.655] Mookey's Twin Spike fades
    [21:27:16.843] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (2) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:17.109] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 5813
    [21:27:17.640] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (3) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:17.859] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Dodge
    [21:27:18.452] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (4) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:18.655] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 4597
    [21:27:19.202] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (5) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:19.249] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Dodge
    [21:27:19.905] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Dodge
    [21:27:19.905] Råttanpåttan's Twin Spike fades
    [21:27:20.046] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (6) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:20.468] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 9780
    [21:27:21.077] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Dodge
    [21:27:21.234] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (7) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:21.593] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 10044 (B: 1406)
    [21:27:22.062] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (8) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:22.140] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Parry
    [21:27:22.796] Eydis Darkbane casts Twin Spike on Mookey
    [21:27:22.796] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (9) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:22.859] Eydis Darkbane Twin Spike Mookey 9375
    [21:27:22.859] Mookey afflicted by Twin Spike from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:23.202] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Dodge
    [21:27:23.718] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (10) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:23.749] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 10767
    [21:27:24.140] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 7210
    [21:27:24.421] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (11) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:24.655] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 9179 (B: 2812)
    [21:27:25.124] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 6916
    [21:27:25.249] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (12) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:25.359] Fjola Lightbane's Shield of Lights fades
    [21:27:25.562] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Dodge
    [21:27:25.999] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 6783
    [21:27:26.046] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (13) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:26.077] Mookey's Twin Spike fades
    [21:27:26.296] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 10973
    [21:27:26.718] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey 5752
    [21:27:26.890] Eydis Darkbane gains Val'kyr Quickness (14) from Eydis Darkbane
    [21:27:27.124] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Parry
    [21:27:27.530] Eydis Darkbane hits Mookey Parry
    [21:27:27.702] Eydis Darkbane's Power of the Twins fades
    [21:27:27.702] Eydis Darkbane's Val'kyr Quickness fades
    Last edited by Mookey; 08-27-2009 at 03:10 AM.
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

The shield seems pretty easy to burn through, but does mortal strike affect the heal?

There's no reason to have DPS switch targets for shields, it just ends up being a net dps loss (either by doing less dps because of attunement or by wasting time switching attunement). We were burning through the shields in about 9 seconds on 25 man and 6 on 10 man, without switching.

Also, fight was recently hotfixed and now Surge of Light/Darkness was added to normal mode. Can anyone confirm the mechanics? The damage looks low so 2/4 healing it (10/25 mans respectively) should still be possible.

So now they have the surge, do we or can we simply interrupt it :S

7k overall damage is pretty trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by Trustbuster View Post
    We had a night full of random mass-disconnects, but...

We used this strat and 2 shot the boss on 25 man, and one shot the boss on 10 man afterwards. Extremely effective in the non-heroic version. Very able to switch targets and focus fire the shielded Valkyr.

25 man kill took 4:04 and 10 man kill took 3:11 (we didn't have Bloodlust up for the 10 man kill or we would have had the Achievement -- we had used it on Faction Champs).

It is clear from our Recount report on the 25 man kill that some of our usual top performers were still slightly confused by the strat and didn't perform as well as they usually would. However, I do not believe we had any deaths on the kill attempt.

A couple of edits: We found on the non-kill attempt that 6 healers were overkill, and dropped down to 5 healers (1 resto shaman, 1 resto druid, 1 holy priest, 1 disc priest, 1 holy paladin). Damage is very manageable, and the raid can save themselves most of the damage they will incur. It may even be 4 healable as the healers said it was a very easy fight to heal even with just the 5 of them. So if you're struggling with the enrage timer and not experiencing a lot of deaths, I suggest dropping a healer for a DPS (dual spec go go).
    Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad the positioning worked well for you, and it gave me confidence putting it into production, so to speak. We also 2-shot our first look at the twins, pulling a 2'43'' achievement kill, although it was 10-man. We'll be looking at 25-man tonight, and will probably have to stick with 7 healers until we figure out the Surge mechanics. I'm under the impression that it's a Sapphiron-type pulse that just has to be healed through, which is why the fight is so easy to heal on normal-mode right now.

we used 3 healer for 25man and 1 healer for 10man. on both 25man groups (we had 2 groups + some alts to fill groups up) we got the speedkill achievement + on 10man we got it easily (<2min kill).

We tried some different tactics and what worked best for us in the end was to tank both twins next to each other between 2 portals. This way we could do some cleave,ae etc. dmg to the other twin and switching target for the shield was really easy. The only problem was stacking the +dmg debuff up (i didn't reach 100 stacks once in the fight) since almost all player would be really clumped up in 1 spot and getting orbs was hard, but it didn't matter that much. I think it's better to just dps the boss instead of chasing orbs and not doing damage in that time anyway.

if anyone is curious about logs:
    kill #1 (25 man)
    kill #2 (25 man)
    kill #3 (10 man)

Well done Mook, good catch. I was wondering if that was in there, it would seem odd for it not to be.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

You have Surge of Darkness listed as "Heroic" only. Is this for the heroic version or the 25man version? I ask because the deffintions changed with 3.2.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mecer View Post
    You have Surge of Darkness listed as "Heroic" only. Is this for the heroic version or the 25man version? I ask because the deffintions changed with 3.2.

M
    Heroic is the 3.2 "Hardmode," and spells labeled like this will be only present in 10 AND 25man Heroic only. Its called "Heroic" because there is an entirely new raid lock out for attempting the harder than usual versions of the fight, rather than having to "trigger" something for this to occur.

I updated the Wall O' Text to reflect the power of the twins find.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelo
    The following bug fixes to Val'kyr Twins were just deployed, and they will increase the overall difficulty of the encounter.

- Surge of Light and Surge of Darkness were not being cast properly on Normal difficulties.
    - Light Vortex was doing less damage than Dark Vortex.

Along with those two major bug fixes, we also increased the rate with which the Concentrated Light and Concentrated Darkness spawns.
    MMO-Champion posted this yesterday
    "Upon an order we plead, with the lure of a song, a sacred song, to the moon and the stars. An illusionary light is here placed."

The dual-wield is a significant damage spike to the affected tank and does, as Mook said, go active during a shield. Since the shielded Valkyr is not doing anything at all during this part of the fight, healing should swap to the tank that is currently active. We wiped once due to this. The damage is not significant on normal 10 and 25. That is if healing is focused on the tank.

This is pretty much a joke of an encounter.

On our 25-man, we got the shields confused the first 2 times it came up. Still a 1-shot.

On our 10-man, we had an accidental shammy pull and we had a boomkin who didn't understand the fight. We were going two healers but our pally died early so our resto druid single healed the encounter. I died near 30% but our OT just tanked both.

Ridiculously easy.

Did this in both 10 and 25 man where a single tank was used. Everyone starts off by clicking the Light Portal. And DPSing the Dark Valkyr on the Dark Portal.

Boss Timers will let you know when the next ability will happen. So get ready to do either of the following:

a. Dark Valkyr channels - Since both valkyrs are solo tanked next to the dark portal. Everyone clicks it, and swtiches to Light Valkyr asap.

b. Dark Valkyr has a shield - burn it down and interrupt.

c. Light Valkyr channels - Everyone is already light attuned. continue burning down Dark Valkyr.

d. Light Valkyr has a shield - Everyone click the Dark portal, and swtich to burn down the shield and interrupt.

If portals are clicked. The whole raid moves to a Light portal together.

You can easily get the 3 min kill without Bloodlust in 10 man. 2 healers for 10 man and 4 healers for 25 is more than enough imho.
    Last edited by Iakin; 08-30-2009 at 02:43 AM.

I actually have a question regarding the shields. Has it been, in fact, confirmed that the shields share the same characteristics of the Valk that casts them? In other words, is it benefitial to have casters switch essences to burn the shield down?