Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Twin Valkyrs Encounter

Wow that was surprisingly easy... I expected more damage to go out on the raid but in our 25m we had half our healers switch to off spec DPS after the initial try because damage output is very low.

This fight seems to be nothing more then a gear-check/pay attention fight. All you need to do is ensure people have the correct polarity (aura?), switch quickly as needed and burst down the shield before she heals herself = done.

We got the achiev on accident without even trying for it because it is nothing more then 'kill them quickly' lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chinadoll View Post
    Don't touch the four portals; not at all. Incoming damage on the tank is really low, and there's no disadvantage for staying neutral. Both our tanks stayed the whole fight without an attunement (as did most of our healers). The orbs and the Dark/Light Vortexes didn't matter at all.

I'm guessing it's gonna be patched to force those roles to do the dance too. But for now, it's a simplification of a moderately complicated mechanic.
    The tanks staying neutral is an option, depending on the strength of your DPS. Since the DPS get a buff increase, it is likely a few of your higher DPS may have to hold back if your tank isn't attuned properly to deal extra damage. Or, if your tank has lower than optimal TPS.

Healers, on the other hand, may want to stay un-attuned, however, they may take damage from both dark and light orbs, so they must be quick on their feet. Any confirmation for this?
    Last edited by Spiritus; 08-26-2009 at 12:27 AM.

I'm an uld10hard/ulduar25/toc10/toc25 geared paladin tank and I absolutely had to attune with the amount of dps my raid was doing. The boss was surprisingly easy, but we went in with a lot of knowledge (thanks tankspot). We actually two shot it with me disconnecting to windows update mid fight. First attempt we hit enrage timer with a few down, but no clear understanding how the heal worked. We tanked the two bosses close to the middle so melee dps could easily switch to burn the shield down, but not too close so the orbs hit everyone. Healers did not attune. I'm not sure if this is intended by blizzard.

Edit: Their hit boxes are huge. Our melee stood closer to their opposite color portal so they could switch quickly and run to other boss to break shield.
    Last edited by Libertarian; 08-26-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    Healers, on the other hand, may want to stay un-attuned, however, they may take damage from both dark and light orbs, so they must be quick on their feet. Any confirmation for this?
    I can just tell my oppinion, from Europe, gonna try it tonight then will report...

Healing don't have benefits of being attuned... however they take medium damage whole fight - so my thoughts are

Light DPS/Tank on Darkbane Dark healers
    Dark DPS/Tank on Lightbane Light healers

Healers make "outer circle" leting their opposite orbs to pass trough, while they absorb their own orbs so those orbs don't hurt melee/tank?

Opinions?
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

Quote Originally Posted by Mookey View Post
    I can just tell my oppinion, from Europe, gonna try it tonight then will report...

Healing don't have benefits of being attuned... however they take medium damage whole fight - so my thoughts are

Light DPS/Tank on Darkbane Dark healers
    Dark DPS/Tank on Lightbane Light healers

Healers make "outer circle" leting their opposite orbs to pass trough, while they absorb their own orbs so those orbs don't hurt melee/tank?

Opinions?
    Thats what we did... except our healers were attuned the same as the Tank/DPS. We had our top DPS ranged stand behind the boss to get as many Empowered Light/Darkness as possible. The healers can easily heal themselves through catching the "bad" orbs.

The problem with healers staying in opposite attunement is that they must all run out of healing range of their group to switch their attunement when the opposite Valkyr casts vortex. This may cause you problems.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 08-26-2009 at 05:56 AM.

We had everyone attune due to the Dark Vortex ability. We had healers that did not attune themselves to either side and they died when the Dark Vortex went off.

It's quite a simple fight and for normal mode you can ignore the majority of whats going on. As long as you do these 2 things:

1) All dps switches to the Valkyr casting Shield of Darkness, interrupt cast.
    2) When Valkyr begins casting Dark Vortex, all players attune themselves with the same color.

Ignore orbs in normal mode.

Seems like we have a conflict with what happens when you don't attune.

Have one person saying nothing happens during vortex, while another saying they took full damage from vortex.

Anyone else who tried no attunement want to post their results?

This was actually a fun and somewhat easy fight in 25 man once everyone knew the abilities. Although our realm kept crashing every 15-20 minutes so we had to call it. Going back today, all in all, its much easier than faction champions were to down (imo).

If you look at your incoming damage when you have a light aura, and he does the light explosion, you will see constant "absorb" etc. If you didnt have an attunment, i dont see how you would absorb it, being that it does do damage regularly.

Plus, on top of that, why would you not attune your tank?

1. Tanks basicaly never move.
    2. Tanks attuning to the opposite provides more dps.
    3. There is no downside to attuning to the oppsoite one your tanking.

So why would a tank stay neutral? Sure tanks should never "switch" their aura, however I dont see a benifit in staying neutral. Even if the benifit to having an essence is minimal... its still an advantage.

(I would assume that if you dont have an aura you will take damage from both sources)... This is likely a hard mode, or achievment. ie. Defeat the twin Valks without anyone in the raid having an aura.... =)

Downed the twins last night on 10man. Took us two tries due to people not getting the correct attunement during the vortex. Once that was down it was a rather easy fight with some healer checks during spikes and idiot checks during vortexes.

On 10 man you don't even really have to change your aura to burn the shield but on 25 man we did find it necessary to have the raid dps switch.

It's fun to have the right aura and then get empowered and see yourself do 20k tps! I must say I was quite shocked to see the bosses melee for 10k or so on 25 man and even less on 10 man.

Seems like we have a conflict with what happens when you don't attune.

Have one person saying nothing happens during vortex, while another saying they took full damage from vortex.

Anyone else who tried no attunement want to post their results?
    Not a single healer died from either vortex by staying un-attuned.

Touch of Darkness
    <HEROIC ONLY>
    The Val'kyr's Dark touch has affected you, inflicting 7313 to 7687 Dark damage to players under the effect of Light Essence every 1 sec. The Touch of Darkness will not harm targets with the same attributes as it.
    50000 yd range, Instant, 15 sec cooldown
    Ok. This is one of two abilities for why it is advisable to tank the Valkyrs next to the portal of the same color. If a Light Attuned player gets hit by this... simply move the few yards to the Dark Portal and click it to prevent further damage. I do not know if this wipes the debuff, or if the debuff has a duration (as none is listed). After it is cleaned, however, run to your starting position portal to become Light Attuned again.
    This appears to be a mechanic to keep your "light and dark" groups separated. Its sort of like an XT light bomb for those who are Light Attuned. It is unspecified what the range or duration on this is, as well as whether or not it can be dispelled.
    UPDATE: I'm still conflicted on how to deal with this ability. The description is a little confusing, as it says every 1 sec., but has no duration nor radius listed. If casted amongst the "Light Attuned" group (ie-attacking Dark Valkyr), it could be devastating. Here are the permeations:
    (1) If it can be dispelled, dispel it ASAP.
    (2) If its a small radius (ie-8-15yards) and has a duration, have that person run out of the group.
    (3) If its a large radius and a short duration, (ie- 30yards, 5sec) it must be brute healed, while that person runs out.
    (4) If its a large radius (ie-60yards-zonewide) and a long duration(10+sec), its best that everyone click the "Dark Portal" until the end of the duration, while that person runs away from the group.

It's my guess that its either (1) or (2), though I'm leaning towards (2). I'm also guessing it can be bubbled and ice blocked away.
    Where did you find this ability listing? The most damaging one I can find is:

Touch of Darkness
    Unlimited range
    Instant
    The Val'kyr's Dark touch has affected you, inflicting 5850 to 6150 Dark damage to players under the effect of Light Essence every 2 sec. The Touch of Darkness will not harm targets with the same attributes as it.

Touch of Darkness
    Inflicts 5850 to 6150 Dark damage every 2 sec.
    Touch of Darkness will not harm Dark targets.
    20 seconds remaining

Appears to be an undispellable debuff that lasts 20 seconds. I would assume you just swap your dark/light buff and go to the other Val'kyr for the duration. If Vortex goes out you'll want to switch to the aura that grants immunity to that over this damage since according to the listing I saw at least, this is the lesser damage.

When we did this last night I never saw Touch of Darkness (Light) cast.. I wonder if it is a hardmode ability?

There is no reason not to attune. The damage reduction makes life very easy, and you only have to get used to the one switch and switch back about once per minute on average. The added damage/threat is great for the dps/tanks, and the healing is not so intensive you can't spare a moment to click as a healer, and that reduces required healing even further.

I'd assume that with no attunement you take damage from everything, but the novas can be out-ranged (not that it is worth it).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylicious View Post
    Where did you find this ability listing?
    Got that particular listing from the MMO-Champion parse.

Assuming it has a range, which is likely, it will be best to have that person attune themselves to the proper color and then run to the other Valkyr until the duration is complete.

This is indeed a Heroic mode only ability.

Also, I am updating my information/suggestions based on information found in the official TankSpot video.

Also bear in mind that the MMO-champ stuff came from the PTR and post testing Blizz can and has changed encounters to suit their desires on balancing.

It could come up in heroic, but it also could have just been pared out.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Absolutely. None of the hard numbers I post in these strats is solid, only information I can find and verify from multiple parses. Hopefully, it just give people an idea of what to look for. Now that the official video is out, I'm sure people will pull their information from there.

Quote Originally Posted by easttuth View Post
    Here's our planned positioning for the speed achievement. Will let y'all know how it works out.

http://elitistcasuals.com/valkyr/ValkyrTNF.pdf

Focus: Maximize DPS uptime; minimize movement requirements and target-switching downtime. Allows cleave-type abilities.
    We had a night full of random mass-disconnects, but...

We used this strat and 2 shot the boss on 25 man, and one shot the boss on 10 man afterwards. Extremely effective in the non-heroic version. Very able to switch targets and focus fire the shielded Valkyr.

25 man kill took 4:04 and 10 man kill took 3:11 (we didn't have Bloodlust up for the 10 man kill or we would have had the Achievement -- we had used it on Faction Champs).

It is clear from our Recount report on the 25 man kill that some of our usual top performers were still slightly confused by the strat and didn't perform as well as they usually would. However, I do not believe we had any deaths on the kill attempt.

A couple of edits: We found on the non-kill attempt that 6 healers were overkill, and dropped down to 5 healers (1 resto shaman, 1 resto druid, 1 holy priest, 1 disc priest, 1 holy paladin). Damage is very manageable, and the raid can save themselves most of the damage they will incur. It may even be 4 healable as the healers said it was a very easy fight to heal even with just the 5 of them. So if you're struggling with the enrage timer and not experiencing a lot of deaths, I suggest dropping a healer for a DPS (dual spec go go).
    Last edited by Trustbuster; 08-26-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Add'l info.

it could also be unnoticed in your encounters. in our fights id occasionally see one of the dps, and in one case myself (tanking darkbane), forced into the opposite attunement. but looking back at our worldoflogs report the it wasnt the touch of dark/light.

one thing i feel i need to point out after downing her on 10 man twice and 25 man once is that when there is the shield on one of the twins, the other one hits the tank a lot harder with the DW+damage buff. this is the place if any that a tank or healer will want to use a defensive CD.

also looking back at the worldoflogs report its the 700k version of the shield in 25 regular

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis if you guys wanna dig more