Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Valkyrs Encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    Unleashed Darkness
    The Concentrated Darkness releases its energies inflicting 12188 to 12812 Dark damage to enemies within 8 yards.
    50000 yd range, Instant
    Looks to be a "just eat it" AoE on the tanks/melee. Looks easy enough to heal through.

A note on this; this is certainly the ability that is triggered when someone touches a dark orb. The light version even indicates that it's a "light ball" that triggers the effect.

Possible positioning for Salt 'n Peppa

Here's our planned positioning for the speed achievement. Will let y'all know how it works out.

http://elitistcasuals.com/valkyr/ValkyrTNF.pdf

Focus: Maximize DPS uptime; minimize movement requirements and target-switching downtime. Allows cleave-type abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by easttuth View Post
    Here's our planned positioning for the speed achievement. Will let y'all know how it works out.

http://elitistcasuals.com/valkyr/ValkyrTNF.pdf

Focus: Maximize DPS uptime; minimize movement requirements and target-switching downtime. Allows cleave-type abilities.
    I would be very careful with that position setup, I'm fairly certain surge of light and surge of darkness are abilities to prevent people from just stacking the two of them on each other, but I have no idea on the range of it.

From the abilities I didn't see any real reason for the healers to be of the same polarity as those they are healing, provided they stay 8 yards away (for bubble breaks). In fact, they could even break bubbles that might empower light-/darkbane if conditions are right.

Also, I'm going to make an educated guess at a 6 minute enrage timer. Shouldn't be a problem if doing the fight correctly, but would prevent being the same polarity and letting too many shield heals get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon213 View Post
    From the abilities I didn't see any real reason for the healers to be of the same polarity as those they are healing, provided they stay 8 yards away (for bubble breaks). In fact, they could even break bubbles that might empower light-/darkbane if conditions are right.

Also, I'm going to make an educated guess at a 6 minute enrage timer. Shouldn't be a problem if doing the fight correctly, but would prevent being the same polarity and letting too many shield heals get through.
    Frankly there shouldn't be any shield heals, it really sounds like a case of Kael'thas in the eye where you had to burn his shield asap and interupt his pyro cast before he got it off.

Here is the other 25 man video I found.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKD7S7gr96U]YouTube - unleash vs Valkyr Twins PTR 3.2[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Kylis View Post
    Frankly there shouldn't be any shield heals, it really sounds like a case of Kael'thas in the eye where you had to burn his shield asap and interupt his pyro cast before he got it off.
    I agree, but a couple people asked about staying the same polarity as the sister they're killing to eliminate most damage (you would still have to watch for the opposite sister's vortex as well), and I was explaining why I don't think that will work. In fact, it seems all raid damage is the same no matter what polarity you are. If light, you always have to watch for darkbane's vortex and light bubbles. If dark, the opposite.

Also, does anyone know if the shields are in any way predictable? If so, for the hard mode I'm thinking it might be possible to just split the melee and position them in such a way that the ranged can always be attuned to and attacking the sister that will shield next.

Orb Catchers

Just my 2 cents. I think depending on the spawn rate, the number of orbs at at any given time, and the movement speed will dictate how many people you may want on each side catching orbs. I would suggest having 3 people on each side in a set rotation. I think they should be DPS and when at max stacks switch to the opposite twin to effectively utilize the damage buff instead of wasting it. This may be better used in a hard mode but we will see. I agree with everyone when I say this is going to be a fun fight.

I wonder if a tank would be able to be attuned to the same color of the twin he is tanking and keep agro? Then he could catch the orbs before they hit the boss and also not have to worry about changing attunment for Vortex.
    Last edited by Strom; 08-25-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Clarity

Well, If the unleashed darkness is what happens from a dark orb when it is touched, you must get to it b4 it is 8 yards from the boss or closer as the aoe would dmg the boss and stack the powering up charge. So ranged dps or heals would be best, unless melee can snag it 8+ yards from the boss and not lose too much dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Neokame View Post
    Well, If the unleashed darkness is what happens from a dark orb when it is touched, you must get to it b4 it is 8 yards from the boss or closer as the aoe would dmg the boss and stack the powering up charge. So ranged dps or heals would be best, unless melee can snag it 8+ yards from the boss and not lose too much dps.
    My understanding of the orbs if one of 2 things happen:

1. Person (or maybe even Valkyr) with opposite color of the orb comes in direct contact with the orb. The orb will explode and do dmg to anyone of the opposite color within 8 yards (player or boss included perhaps).

2. Person or Valkyr comes into direct contact with an orb of their same color. That entity then gets 1 stack of the buff.

So in other words, the above strat assuming the tank can hold aggro with the same buff as the boss (though I doubt it) would be feasible. As long as the tank was able to grab the orbs without the boss contacting them first.

Put in some important updates into the Wall O' Text from some responses here.

Alrighty. Well, having just completed this fight in 25, I find that the abilities massively over-hype the fight. This fight is more of an awareness check for your raid and a gear check for your DPS.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjOktSw8nY4"]YouTube - One More Boss - Twin Val'kyrs[/ame]
    ^ Quick video of our kill for general-concept reference.

Tanks - You have to arrange the bosses opposite from each other and slightly inward, so as to minimize the movement required.

(L = Lightbane, D = Darkbane, Dark and Light are the portal things)

Dark..Light
    .>L.....D<
    Light..Dark
    ....Gate....

The Tanks should not click portals, as should all healers except the one Mobile Healer on each side who runs buff-interference (more below).

Healers - Tank damage is surprisingly low. AoE damage depends on how well your raid pays attention. One mobile healer (Druid or something) should be in each group, grabbing orbs the same color as that boss in order to prevent the damage buff.

DPS - Should be split into two fairly equal groups. Be the attunement opposite the one you're killing. Grab orbs the opposite color of the one you're killing.

Key mechanics--
    The 6min enrage timer requires the group to make use of the attunements. This is fairly simple--be the opposite color of the one you're hitting. Run into orbs the same color as you, don't hit the opposite color.

The colored orbs spawn around the outside edge of the arena and move towards the center-ish in apparently random paths. They spawn in waves at fixed intervals, so DPS will have plenty.

Every 45 seconds, one boss does a special ability:
    Dark Vortex - Black Val'kyr casts this. All Light Attuned need to switch to Dark or they die.
    Light Vortex - White Val'kyr casts this. All Dark Attuned need to switch to Light or they die.
    Twin's Pact - Either Val'kyr can cast this. All DPS needs to mash on it as fast as possible. Those on the other target will need to switch their Attune color first. It appeared to me that only 700k needed to be inflicted before the interrupt would go through.

And that's it.

-----Non-Issues
    Power of the Twins and Twin Spike - While intimidating-sounding, no cooldowns were needed. It actually took me most of the fight to realize the Power was happening at all. Twin Spike is surprisingly minor, the +20% Damage Received fades over time, losing 5% every 5-10 seconds.
    Last edited by Chinadoll; 08-25-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Fixing the ASCII graphic.

Easy fight once you get the concepts down. Like, really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinadoll View Post
    The Tanks should not click portals, as should all healers except the one Mobile Healer on each side who runs buff-interference (more below).
    Why should tanks not hit portals? Do you mean initially? During the casts? Or what?

The fight was simple. We had all melee, half our healers and one tank take the light essence. The other tank,healers and ranged took the dark essence. We tanked them where they stand originally.

We kept dodging the bad balls and taking the ones of our color. Whichever twin cast the AOE channeled cast, the people of the opposite essence were standing right next to their opposite essence portal, so they just clicked it, absorbed the aoe damage, and then just ran back to the start to click their original essence portal.

That's the fight, pretty much. We burnt through the shields for the heal pretty fast, our dps didn't have to switch off.

A quick note on the 1.2mil shield..

Typically everything I have researched in ToC, there are 4 versios of every ability. The smallest is 10, the next is 10 heroic. The third is 25, and the fourth is 25 heroic. 700k sounds more reasonable than 1.2mil to me.

Pretty bleh fight in 10m. We kind of talked about it for a minute, decided to just try it, failed to interrupt any Twin Pact's, and still managed to win with 8 up.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    Why should tanks not hit portals? Do you mean initially? During the casts? Or what?
    Don't touch the four portals; not at all. Incoming damage on the tank is really low, and there's no disadvantage for staying neutral. Both our tanks stayed the whole fight without an attunement (as did most of our healers). The orbs and the Dark/Light Vortexes didn't matter at all.

I'm guessing it's gonna be patched to force those roles to do the dance too. But for now, it's a simplification of a moderately complicated mechanic.
    Last edited by Chinadoll; 08-25-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Two shot. Here are some thoughts to go with the Wall O' Text:

NOTE: Everything is written for attacking the Dark Valkyr! Use your brain and switch Light and Dark for the opposite side.

(1) Had healers snag the Dark Orbs so they didnt get to the boss. Worked great.

(2) Had *all* DPS switch to the Valkyr casting Shield of Darkness. Never had one go off on the kill. Results may vary depending on the strength of your DPS.

(3) Shield & Vortex are on the same ?30sec? timer. Either one or the other will happen after this timer is up. Have your raid be aware that an ability is coming up so they can get ready to execute.

(4) Used the positioning mentioned in the Wall o' Text. Worked fine.

(5) Overall easy fight. Like someone said... its an Execution/DPS Check. Enrage timer should never come into play if you never have Twin's Pact go off.

(6) Touch of Light/Darkness is a Heroic mode ability only.

NOTE: Also updated Wall o' Text.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 08-26-2009 at 12:18 AM.