Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Valkyrs Encounter

Twin Valkyrs Encounter

Also check out Satorri's Guide: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f218/...u-started.html

Thought I'd get this up to start sharing info. BIG NOTE: This is all speculative, but well researched. If I feel dodgy on something, I say so. Below is the cleanest strat/capture I could find on video. Its a 10man, but the encounter is identical and adding 15 extra folks wouldn't change it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91gSuvZfHIg&feature=PlayList&p=E9AA0787526 E694A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=89"]YouTube - Affenjungs INC vs. Valkyr Twins (PTR)[/ame]

Environment, Positioning, and Basics:

(1) UPDATE: The Dark Valkyr will start on the left side and the Light Valkyr will start on the right side, on the far side of your starting position. They will aggro when you run in range. This gives you time to get everything set up and for people to see what the portals look like.

(2) Split your raid into 2 groups of somewhat equal strengths. Have the group attacking the "Dark Valkyr" in the southeast and the "Light Valkyr" group in the northeast.

(3) Four portals will spawn. The "Dark Portals" will be in the northwest and northeast and the "Light Portals" will be in the southeast and northwest.

(4) On the pull, each group should click the OPPOSITE color portal of the Valkyr they are assigned to. The "Dark Valkyr" team should be "Light Attuned" while the "Light Valkyr" team should be "Dark Attuned." Your positioning should have the correct portal right on top of you to start. The reason for this is that Light Attuned players deal extra damage to the Dark Valkyr and absorb light damage. *UPDATE* Healers should be the *opposite color* of the team they are healing so they can absorb the same color orbs as the boss, if they are on a path to hit her (IE- "Dark Attuned" team[attacking the "Light Valkyr"] healers should be "Light Attuned").

(5) The Twin Valkyrs should be tanked near the SAME color portal on the far side of the room from your staring positions. This will come into play later.

(6) Light and Dark Orbs. There are orbs that spawn in a circle against the walls of the arena and fly, apparently in a random pattern, throughout the room. If a Light Attuned player "runs into" a Light Orb, they will gain stacks of "Powering Up." When 100stacks are reached, the player gains "Empowered Light," increasing damage done by 100% for 20sec. If a Light Attuned player collides with a Dark Orb, they take damage. I do not know how many charges each orb gives you. UPDATE: If you absorb damage from Vortex, you will also gain stacks of Powering Up, as well as splash damage from Unleashed Darkness/Light. *CONFIRMED* The boss gains stacks of Powering Up.

The catch is, the Valkyrs can also get this buff. Have one or two players designated for each Valkyr to "catch" the like color orbs before they reach the boss. In the video, the person doing this was in the opposite color. However, in 25man, it may be beneficial to have these designates in the same color as the orbs they are trying to absorb, as to not kill themselves trying to prevent them from getting to the boss. UPDATE: Then again, this may be bad since the range on Touch of Darkness/Light is unknown.

Special thanks to Satorri for this graphic

Boss Abilities:
    NOTE: I am only listing the Darkness abilities because they are identical to the Light ones. Just switch Light and Dark... you know the drill.

Empowered Darkness
    Increases damage dealt to Light Targets by 100% for 20 sec.
    Instant
    This happens when the Boss absorbs too many Dark Orbs. Prevented by having designated Dark Orb "catchers" to prevent them from reaching the boss. It is my theory that, at least in 25man, these "catchers" should be Dark Attuned, even though they will be DPSing the Dark Valkyr. UPDATE: No stacks of Powering Up went up on the boss, according to our WoL. Either we were really good about the orbs never reaching the boss/tanks/melee, or this is only a player buff.

Surge of Darkness
    *UPDATE*: Now on Normal Mode!
    Pulsing a Surge of Darkness Inflicting 1500 damage every 2 sec to Light enemies.
    5 sec cast
    *UPDATE* This is a zone wide aura.

Unleashed Darkness
    The Concentrated Darkness (i.e.-dark orb) releases its energies inflicting 12188 to 12812 Dark damage to enemies within 8 yards.
    50000 yd range, Instant
    UPDATE: It has been mentioned that this happens when an orb is touched, and I tend to concur. CONFIRMED! The splash damage from this ability contributes to "Powering Up" if absorbed by those with like attunement.

Twin Spike
    The Twin Spike inflicts 100% weapon damage and increases damage taken by 20% for 15 sec or for 10 charges.
    5 yd range, Next melee
    *CONFIRMED* Spike damage ability on the tank. I do not know how often it is used, but it may be advized for your tanks to use a CD for the first time it happens to gauge how devastating it is.

Power of the Twins
    The shared power of the Twins increases attack speed by 10% every second up to 150%, and allows the Twin to Dual Wield for 15 sec.

Instant
    *CONFIRMED* *UPDATE* This occurs when the other Valkyr casts Shield of Darkness/Light. The Valkyr will gain 10% attack speed every second up to 150% or the opposite Valkyr's shield breaking. Just a damage spike on the tank. Might be another good time for a CD. Otherwise, tank healers have to be sharp to pick up this spike.

Touch of Darkness
    <HEROIC ONLY>
    The Val'kyr's Dark touch has affected you, inflicting 7313 to 7687 Dark damage to players under the effect of Light Essence every 1 sec. The Touch of Darkness will not harm targets with the same attributes as it.
    50000 yd range, Instant, 15 sec cooldown
    Ok. This is one of two abilities for why it is advisable to tank the Valkyrs next to the portal of the same color. If a Light Attuned player gets hit by this... simply move the few yards to the Dark Portal and click it to prevent further damage. I do not know if this wipes the debuff, or if the debuff has a duration (as none is listed). After it is cleaned, however, run to your starting position portal to become Light Attuned again.
    This appears to be a mechanic to keep your "light and dark" groups separated. Its sort of like an XT light bomb for those who are Light Attuned. It is unspecified what the range or duration on this is, as well as whether or not it can be dispelled.
    UPDATE: I'm still conflicted on how to deal with this ability. The description is a little confusing, as it says every 1 sec., but has no duration nor radius listed. If casted amongst the "Light Attuned" group (ie-attacking Dark Valkyr), it could be devastating. Here are the permeations:
    (1) If it can be dispelled, dispel it ASAP.
    (2) If its a small radius (ie-8-15yards) and has a duration, have that person run out of the group.
    (3) If its a large radius and a short duration, (ie- 30yards, 5sec) it must be brute healed, while that person runs out.
    (4) If its a large radius (ie-60yards-zonewide) and a long duration(10+sec), its best that everyone click the "Dark Portal" until the end of the duration, while that person runs away from the group.

It's my guess that its either (1) or (2), though I'm leaning towards (2). I'm also guessing it can be bubbled and ice blocked away.

Dark Vortex
    Eydis Darkbane beings to cast a powerful vortex of Dark. Channels for 5 seconds inflicting 5850 to 6150 damage every 1 sec for 5 sec.

8 sec cast / Channeled, 15 sec cooldown
    *CONFIRMED*This is the main ability where it is necessary to "switch" attunement. Note the 8second cast gives you plenty of time to get to the nearby Dark Portal (remember your tanking the boss right next to it) and click it to absorb all the damage. This ability is NOT interuptable. Once they have switched their attunement, the "Dark Valkyr" team must all move to the starting position light portal to re-attune. Do NOT re-attune until Dark Vortex has finished casting. Once re-attuned to Light, move back to the designated tanking position by the Dark Portal. *UPDATE* This ability can be ranged. Therefore, it would behoove healers to be Dark Attuned so they can absorb Dark Orbs that threaten to reach the boss without taking damage.

Shield of Darkness
    A Shield of Darkness that protects the sister from harm absorbing 700k damage and prevents spell interruption for 15 sec.

Instant, 20 sec cooldown
    This is the "signature" ability for this encounter. When Shield of Darkness is activated, the Dark Valkyr begins to cast...
    Twin's Pact
    The Twin's Pact heals for 20% of their total HP.

50000 yd range, 15 sec cast
    You don't want this. Basically, you must DPS 700K in 15sec AND THEN INTERRUPT THE CAST to prevent this from happening. Again, just removing the shield doesn't stop the heal from happening. Now, on the 10man video, the "Light Valkyr" casts this first. You will see a big translucent bubble appear around her. Only a few of the Dark Valkyr Team dps switches over, and they didn't change their attunement for the increased damage. On 25man, this may not cut it. It is my recommendation that when Shield of Darkness goes up, all the ranged from the opposite team switch to the appropriate color attunement and assist in bringing down the shield. REMEMBER TO INTERRUPT TWIN'S PACT AFTER THE SHIELD GOES DOWN.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

(1) The Twin Valkyrs share a health pool. They must not "go down" at the same time. Think Kologarn, not Mimi.

(2) Healers need to be watching which abilities are being use to counter spike damage on the tank. Most of the raid damage seems to be avoidable, with a few single target spikes and a melee AoE spike.

(3) Absorb the orbs. Prevent same color orbs from reaching the Valkyrs, pick up same color orbs to build up stacks for Uber damage.

(4) I am uncertain if "Dark Damage" is the same as "Shadow Damage." At anyrate, doesn't hurt to have Prayer of Shadow Protection or Shadow Resist Aura up to test. My guess is its a completely different school. *NOTE*: It has been suggested, but unconfirmed, that "Dark Damage" is shadow and "Light Damage" is fire.

(5) *NEW* Every 45sec one of the Valkyrs will either cast Vortex or Shield.

Overall this fight seems to be about raid posistioning and technical execution. Seems like fun, can't wait!

As always, feel free to add info to this post that will further everyone's understanding of the fight. I'm also very certain that Prot Warriors will be very useful. =)
    Last edited by Spiritus; 09-01-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Nice research Spiritus, I did started but didn't got close to finished project, there are 2 things that are making me wondering at the moment:

First 250.000 damage to break shield seams unreasonable amount - let's give it 12.5 sec with 2.5 sec frame to interrupt the cast, that's 20K dps needed. Usual Ulduar raid have arround 100.000 dps at it's disposal which means with 50K dps (splited in two groups) shield will last 5 seconds only. Maybe 250.000 is 10 man version? which then require arround 20K dps from 3 players with 1-2 helping from other group - which is more likely happening on the video?

Second, especialy from Affernjungs video it seams that it's much better to click black affiliation as soon as Darkbane (for example) start casting and wait finish of his cast at opposite position... Saves lot of time.

Touch of darkness looks like "move out of crowd" ability.

Still to see what trigers twin spike and dual wielding and we are ready to go...
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

Quote Originally Posted by Mookey View Post
    First 250.000 damage to break shield seams unreasonable amount - let's give it 12.5 sec with 2.5 sec frame to interrupt the cast, that's 20K dps needed. Usual Ulduar raid have arround 100.000 dps at it's disposal which means with 50K dps (splited in two groups) shield will last 5 seconds only. Maybe 250.000 is 10 man version? which then require arround 20K dps from 3 players with 1-2 helping from other group - which is more likely happening on the video?
    I've gathered that the shield is worth 250k HP on 25man from three different websites, one of which was a write up from a PTR test. Could they have bumped the size? Possibly, but I doubt it.

20k DPS from 6 DPS, 1 Tank would require an average of 3.3k DPS. Considering how DPS light all of the fights in Reg have been so far, I can see this being a bench mark, as sad as that is. I'm fairly certain I could bring a raid that averaged 3.3k DPS into every fight so far in ToC and win (as long as the people behind the pixels weren't knuckleheads).

If indeed it is 250K HP, then more likely than not, most guilds will not need to bring the ranged from the other group to assist. I would still suggest to do it the first time, just in case.

Touch of darkness looks like "move out of crowd" ability.
    After reading the ability again... I believe you may be right, that its a debuff placed on a player that damages other players with opposite attunement. I will change the Wall o' Text to reflect this.

EDIT: I also clarified the Dark Vortex strategy.
    Last edited by Spiritus; 08-21-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    The catch is, the Valkyrs can also get this buff. Have one or two players designated for each Valkyr to "catch" the like color orbs before they reach the boss. In the video, the person doing this was in the opposite color. However, in 25man, it may be beneficial to have these designates in the same color as the orbs they are trying to absorb, as to not kill themselves trying to prevent them from getting to the boss.
    Great write up. Sounds like a fun fight. One thing I thought from your writeup would be...

I was thinking Healers would be the best bet to Catch Orbs of the same color as the valkyr side they are assigned too (to prevent that Valkyr from getting a damage increase). For instance healers on Edyis Darkbane side would take the black attunment, they would take no damage (so they wouldn't have to worry about their own health). Assign all the healers on that side to catch same color Balls and they probably wouldn't have to move much to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by oraculum View Post
    Great write up. Sounds like a fun fight. One thing I thought from your writeup would be...

I was thinking Healers would be the best bet to Catch Orbs of the same color as the valkyr side they are assigned too (to prevent that Valkyr from getting a damage increase). For instance healers on Edyis Darkbane side would take the black attunment, they would take no damage (so they wouldn't have to worry about their own health). Assign all the healers on that side to catch same color Balls and they probably wouldn't have to move much to catch them.
    Priests and Druids could probably pull this off, however, Shaman and Paladins would have to sacrifice healing for moving. This could be bad for your tanks.

The damage the hunter was taking in the video wasn't much, however, I just don't know what that damage will look like in 25man.

It also may be a bad idea to have anyone of mixed attunement around each other due to the unknown range of Touch of Darkness.

If you do put a healer on orb duty, however, have it be a Disco Priest or Druid... 3rd best would be Holy Priest.

Can someone briefly explain what UI he has in that video?

1. Raid and player frame
    2. Enemy Debuff
    3. Cooldowns
    4. Cast bar

Thank you for all of your information/research Spiritus and everyone who posts here. I found this while doing some research and I like the explanation that this link gives. This is my first post so hopefully I haven't goofed up by linking and copying.

Also on wowhead it lists the schools of damage as shadow=dark and fire=light.

This is the health that was on the link below.
    Health
    5,790,000 (Normal) / ?? (Heroic)

Twin Val'kyr - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

Inspiration and strategy

• It should be noted that battle mechanic of this boss fight is inspired from arcade game Ikaruga. In that game the player ship and enemies has either white or black polarity (and unlike this boss fight, player can change polarity at will). Only bullets of an opposite polarity can kill the player and the player will absorb enemies' bullets of the same color.
    • Player's attack deals double damage to enemies with different polarity and when enough bullets of same polarity are absorbed the player can unleash a special attack of homing missiles.
    • In this fight, Edyis Darkbane is considered black and Fjola Lightbane is considered white and their attacks are respectively white or black. By right-clicking on one of the four portals in the room, you get the respective color of the portal, white or black. You absorb damage of the same color and deals double damage against the boss with the other color. If you are white, you absorb white damage and do double damage to Edyis Darkbane, if you are black then you absorb black damage and do double damage to Fjola Lightbane.
    • Before the pull everyone gets himself a color. The black-tank pulls Edyis Darkbane between the two left portals, the white-tank does the same for Fjola Lightbane between the two right portals.
    • Every now and then one of the Val'kyrs begins a 15 sec Twin's Pact cast and shields himself. Every damage dealer has to immediately pick up the casting ones opposite color and burn the shield making the heal interruptable.
    • If one of the val'kyr begins to channel her Vortex, everyone in the raid has immediately to get that ones color in order to absorb the Vortex damage. After the channel, you can switch back.
    • During the whole fight its also bullet hell time (the genre of Ikaruga): dodge the other-color balls flying around and catch your colors balls. If your shield absorbs enough damage, you get the Empowered Darkness or Empowered Light buff, giving you a 100% damage-boost against the other color for 20 sec.
    • With the Twin Val'kyr defeated, everyone is ready to celebrate... when the floor of the coliseum collapses and drops players into the Icy Depths of Azjol-Nerub.

Have all the dps one, and have one of the V's tanked off to the side...switch tanks after they become attuned...I haven't been to the test realm, just from what I read here.

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Have all the dps one, and have one of the V's tanked off to the side...switch tanks after they become attuned...I haven't been to the test realm, just from what I read here.
    Tank switching isn't necessary. The Dark Valkyr tank should be Light Attuned (unless Dark Vortex is cast) at all times, or else he will not be able to hold threat. Opposite for the Light Valkyr tank. They have a shared health pool so there is little reason to have all on one.

This would result in a net DPS decrease for two reasons:

(1) The entire raid would have to run to their starting portal after Vortex.
    (2) Your only taking advantage of one color orb, instead of both.

It would increase the chance of a wipe for two reasons:

(1) It would also be very difficult to prevent the "Off tank" Valkyr from getting too many orbs, resulting in Empowered Darkness... something you should avoid.
    (2) You would almost guarantee Twin's Pact going off on the "Off tank" Valkyr... another thing that must be avoided.

Hmm it seems so simple yet so many things lol, do we know if the tanks have to work around vortex ?

I found three kinds of spells named Shield of Darkness on WoWhead database. The first one absorbs 300.000 damage, the second one is 700.000 and the last one is 1.200.000.

I assume the first one is for 10 man, the second one for 25 man and 10 man heroic maybe, and the final one for 25 Heroic.

Well, now that i'm thinking about it, 700.000 doesnt fit on 10 man heroic, unless that the dmg bonus on this fight (orbs and the light/darkness thing) is substancial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
    Hmm it seems so simple yet so many things lol, do we know if the tanks have to work around vortex ?
    That's kinda purpose of tanking him next to "his" portal...

Assume you are tanking Darkbane @ dark portal, you are light attuned. If Lightbane is doing vortex - you don't need to do anything if Darkbane starts to do Vortex:

1) He starts - you click on the portal right next to you
    2) He's channeling you are moving to light portal
    3) He finished channeling - you click on light portal to attune again
    4) He will move to you, pick him up and move him back @ dark portal
    Last edited by Mookey; 08-24-2009 at 09:33 PM.
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

1) He starts - you click on the portal orb right next to you
    2) He's channeling you are moving to light portal orb
    3) He finished channeling - you click on light portal orb to attune again
    4) He will move to you, pick him up and move him back @ dark portal
    Fixed this. I'm sure it was a typo, just don't want to confuse people.

Looks interesting, can't wait to try it out. I'm guessing that any serious use of the "powering up" buff will be trivial until the hard mode is released, but it's far too big a raid buff to ignore surely?

edit: I just did a few hours work on this myself, posted a strat in my guild forums, but I don't have much to add on what has been covered above. One thing I did find on my travels was this spell, which could be any number of things. This seems like it might be possible to break the debuff by stepping through a portal?

The Touch of Light/Darkness is the thing that worries me most about this, since it's the only thing I don't have a good understanding of. Can anyone shed any light on it?
    Last edited by Dryn; 08-25-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: didn't want to double-post. :D

Does anyone know how much your damage is reduced, if you attune yourself to the dark orbs, and then attack the dark target?

I saw someone suggest that the tank use the same colour orbs as the boss they are tanking. But then i was thinking, why not everyone? If it doesnt reduce your damage by a lot, you could attune everyone on the dark side to dark and light to light. Would make healing this fight a joke.

I assume this isnt really possible, however if being attuned makes you take no damage from the colour you are, but your damage doesnt increase until you are empowered... it might be a viable strat.

Then say when a player who is dark, and is attackign the dark guy gets 100 stacks and becomes empowered he could switch targets take damage but at the cost of 100% more damage. Agro wouldnt be an issue becuase the dps was on the other mob and just switched.

Any thoughts?

Xarkar, If I understand the mechanics of this fight correctly, you need the increased damage (from being the opposite color) to burn the Shield of Darkness down in time. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

There is a nice 25 man video here.

Download File - sdp-twin-valkyr.mp4 - GnomeFiles

Xarkar, If I understand the mechanics of this fight correctly, you need the increased damage (from being the opposite color) to burn the Shield of Darkness down in time. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.
    That was kind of my assumption as well, however the sheild is only 250k, which is 16.66k DPS. Thats 3 high DPS people.

The real factor is how much your damage is reduced when you have the light aura and attack the light target.

The thing is it seems like there is a difference betweem having the light aura, (or essence or whatever) and being "empowered light"

empowered happens if you hit 100 stacks, and watching the video, it appears you maintain those stacks, even if you have the opposite aura.

Maybe im way off here, but it kind of seems like the aura and the "empowered" IE portals vs balls are two different mechanics. IE you could have the light aura, but the dark empowerment. Meaning you could go stand on the light guy and do double damage to him and take no damage because you have the same aura as him. It seems the only condition is you cant pick up white balls if you have hte dark aura.

Of course, this all depends on what the aura actually does to you. So far i havent been able to find it. Anyone have a link to where it is?

Does that make sense at all? I mean it is pure speculation.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDnMNyNB_SA]YouTube - Entropy Coliseum Preview Twin Val'kyr (WoW Patch 3.2)[/ame]

can someone translate this video i believe it is in german

Twin Valkyr fight

In response to reading the Touch of Darkness ability would it be feasible to have the 1 person with the debuff switch to the other boss and would be the only 1 taking dmg. which it could be healed thru, after the duration is over move back to the original boss target. This would keep ppl from losing stacks of ligh/dark attunement by having ppl switch in the middle of the fight.

I think this ability keeps the bosses from being split to opposite sides(walls) of the arena so that moving to the other boss will not be a long drawn out process. As an added bonus moving to the other boss you do not have a dmg boost to it, but as well you do not take the aoe dmg or take dmg from the touch of light ability as you are already attuned, and as the aoe will be dmging the melee aoe heals would be sufficient to heal everyone taking dmg. including the target with touch of darkness, and vice versa for touch of light.

Just an insight tho.

Reading info on the buff Powering Up, It states that absorbing damage stacks powering up. If this is correct, it would be viable to have the same attunement as the boss you are on, and everyone in melee range so that if you are dark attuned stack on darkbane and absorb all the dark dmg you can to build powering up the fastest. As well as the touch of darkness on the light attuned player if the player stacks on the dark team, they will get an extra stack every 1 sec. they are hit by the ability while the healer will have to heal thru the ability for the 1 light attuned player. This poses a problem as tanks might have to switch bosses depending on threat when everyone gains empowered light/dark if its not an issue just the dps could switch and burst on the opposite boss, then after the 20sec and the buff is gone, simply return to the boss of your attunement to begin the cycle again. Rinse Repeat.

The previous paragraph is depicting the stacking of powering up on any dark/light dmg you absorb and not just orbs, orbs are there to power up the bosses i'm sure and add a raid wiping mechanic. As such healers should be attuned to the same as the boss they are fighting and pic up corresponding orbs to prevent boss stacks of powering up.

Hope this insight helps.
    Last edited by Neokame; 08-25-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: More insight after researching.