Closed Thread

Thread: Tanking Groups of Adds

Tanking Groups of Adds

I have trouble tanking groups of adds in raids, I seem to always lose threat on some of the mobs. I use TC and Shockwave as soon as I can, making sure I hit all the mobs, I then drop a Demo shout for AoE threat then spam Cleave, there's no other AoE for me to use except Cleave until the rest come off CD.

Can I stack a particular stat to help with tanking groups of adds?

My stats
    Hit 7.69%
    Expertise 5.75% (With food reaches cap)
    Dodge 25%
    Parry 20%
    Block 20%

My attacks shouldn't have any trouble landing, but I just seem to not be able to hold threat with all the DPS going on.

Tab thru the mobs and hit them with some high threat attack (shield slam, revenge, devastate - whatever isn't on CD) in addition to the cleave spam should help.

Typically a warrior shouldnt be the aoe tank, they normally should be the boss tank because they have the best single boss midigation of damage.

Typically you want the druid pally or deathkngiht tank to be on the adds in a boss fight, while there midigation lacks in comparison to a warrior, they have more aoe threat abilities that put them on top over warriors in that area.

Pallys shine in aoe tanking with consecrate and melee strikes that hit multiple people, plus the best +block chance ability.

In the case that you have two warrior tanks (which is very bad, and means your raid leader isnt smart at putting together group composition) theres really nothing much you can do aside from asking the dpsers to wait a couple seconds for you to build threat.

I dont know much about warriors so i cant give you specific advice on how to improve your aoe tanking, but there is really no specific stat that will improve your aoe tanking.

I hope this info should help. Just remember make sure that if you are the only warrior in a raid sitution you should be on boss, the non-warrior tank typically needs to be on adds on less they beat you on gear by a huge margin.

Hope this helps.

If you don't have glyph of cleave which most tanks don't you should be tabbing through using single target abilities.

Cheers guys, yes we normally have a Druid or Pally Tank as well but I was more on about trash mobs which don't matter to much I guess, I'll just leave em for the Druid/Pally to take on and I will just pull the main one or something.

Thanks guys!

were you born this ignorant or did you have to take lessons?

I didnt mean to be offensive i was just giving the honest opinion of the current situation. Studies were taken and warriors were shown to be behind in aoe tanking.

In all truth it makes you ignorant to deny this fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kháelor View Post

I didnt mean to be offensive i was just giving the honest opinion of the current situation. Studies were taken and warriors were shown to be behind in aoe tanking.

I didn't see you as being ignorant, you're explaining how Druids, Pallies and DKs have better AoE and I see that especially in Pallies and DKs. Thanks for all the info. Now when my guild says "Deev you're tanking the adds" I can be like "Hell no my AoE isn't as good" then I get to tank the boss. :P

What I would do in your situation, is whisper the raid leader, and ask him if its not a problem may I not be on add duty as much because right now my class is behind in aoe tanking in comparison to other classes. (only tell him the second part if he asks why or get angry, if he does get angry though hes a sick freak lol)

Cheers
    Khaelor

What I would do in your situation, is whisper the raid leader, and ask him if its not a problem may I not be on add duty as much because right now my class is behind in aoe tanking in comparison to other classes. (only tell him the second part if he asks why or get angry, if he does get angry though hes a sick freak lol)

Cheers
    Khaelor
    Lol thanks will do I've noticed I've been thrown on add duty a lot and haven't really let the raid down except on Freya, way to many adds to keep up with.

Yes that would be ahrd to tank because the adds dont have a threat table lol. Unless they changed it which is doubtful, the best way to do this is to just have your raid gorup up and just aoe em down so they arent runnning around all over the place, however they do explode when killed so aoe them all, while grouped up and get them to 10 percent then single target them down.

I wasn't referring to your comments about warriors having the worst AOE. I agree with that. We work harder for less results.

I was calling you ignorant because of your ignorant statement, that of warriors having the best single target mitigation, which is just not true.

Yes it is completely true... Blizzard said originally back in the creation of the game that warriors would always be slightly ahead of the others in single target damage reduction. They get the most health in comparison to other classes (600-700 health + from guns) Most avoidance,armor, midigation from talents, (no other class gets talents for block)

So it wasnt arrogant just stating another fact :P

Yes it is completely true... Blizzard said originally back in the creation of the game that warriors would always be slightly ahead of the others in single target damage reduction. They get the most health in comparison to other classes (600-700 health + from guns) Most avoidance,armor, midigation from talents, (no other class gets talents for block)

So it wasnt arrogant just stating another fact :P
    Though this isn't really the place. Going by what Blizzard say about a class back when it was the "only" tank class and comparing it to now are two different things. Have a look at the tank tests conducted on the 3.2 PTR Patchwerks and you'll find the results a lot different to what you're saying.

3.2 Tank Tests - Premonition - Sen'jin (US)
    Toblerone - Space Goat Warrior
    Chupachup - Space Goat Shaman

Any of the tanks can aoe tank, warriors just have to try harder, no we're not the best boss mitigation tanks, we each have our abilities and for the most part we are all very close to even in all things tank related with paladins slightly ahead on dps/threat.

this thread has gone downhill. Closed.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Closed Thread