+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does a Prot Warrior need hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbuckle View Post
    Imo I would use The Black Heart - Item - World of Warcraft over Heart of Iron - Item - World of Warcraft, Black Heart's armor buff in a best case scenario works out to be ~1500.

Really can't pass up 1500 armor for 40 extra stam.
    If you factored in the average armor gained from the proc, you still wouldn't gain as much EH from Black Heart as you would from Heart of Iron. Plus Heart of Iron has an awesome on use ability.

For the question: Do prot warriors need hit?
    Well, yes. Prot warriors need hit for the main reason of... YOU DONT WANT YOUR TAUNT TO MISS! (example: In naxx, during the boss fight "gluth", two tanks pass off taunts. Say your taunt misses and your other tank begins to get etc. debuffs. Thats a problem.) It also helps for devestate, etc.

Hope this helped!
    -Frizzilld, realm: Eredar

Hit rating.

A prot warrior needs hit rating for a lot of reasons. Number one: You do NOT want to miss a taunt. (ex: Your fighting "Gluth" In Naxx. Say your other tank reaches a max amount of defbuffs, and your taunt misses. Thats a problem.) Also, other than taunt it helps apply devestate better. [Buying the glyph of devestate is AMAZING!]
    I believe you want to be 7.5+ Hit rating to be absolute certain that your taunt, devestate, etc. wont miss

Hope this helped!
    Frizzilld, alliance: Realm Eredar

If you notice the previous comments I pointed out that it looks like glyphing for taunt may become a standard. That would raise the chance for your taunt to hit similar to being hit capped with no glyph (taunt looks at spell hit not melee hit = much higher % required to be capped).

It seems like people are sort of bypassing the main question/issue of this thread. Everyone knows hit has some important benefits but when looking at end game raiding in near BiS gear from ToC we are extremely limited in itemization when looking at hit.

The question then becomes: Do you bypass pieces with stat upgrades merely to improve hit rating? I tend to think not, glyph of taunt may become a standard and I think you might see more and more tanks running around with 40-80 hit instead of the previous 150-250 hit. Although there are some serious drawbacks to low hit (missing thunderclaps/demo shouts/taunts) the stat increases to armor, defense, stam, expertise, parry, etc on many gear upgrades tend to out weigh the benefit of hit (if glyphed for taunt).

I don't run with any Hit gear specifically. If taunts miss (and they do), I just use mocking and re-taunt when the cooldown is back up. I'd rather gear for progression and I really can't stand gearing for threat. Luckily the devastate changes have really helped in the threat department and I don't ever worry about it anymore.

Also maybe the lower cooldown on taunt from T9 2pc might tie into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    The question then becomes: Do you bypass pieces with stat upgrades merely to improve hit rating? I tend to think not, glyph of taunt may become a standard and I think you might see more and more tanks running around with 40-80 hit instead of the previous 150-250 hit. Although there are some serious drawbacks to low hit (missing thunderclaps/demo shouts/taunts) the stat increases to armor, defense, stam, expertise, parry, etc on many gear upgrades tend to out weigh the benefit of hit (if glyphed for taunt).
    I think there are enough side grades in gear that Hit rating can be maintained as we upgrade our gear. That I do not see a big drop in hit rating coming for me as my gear upgrades.

1) Bracers: Saronite Swordbreakers = ilvl 245, 38 hit.
    2) Pants: Hellscream's Legguards of Triumph = ilvl 245, 53 hit or ilvl 258, 62 hit.
    3) Ranged Weapon: Blades of the Sable Cross = ilvl 245, 22 hit
    4) Neck: Shard of the Crystal Forest = ilvl 226, 42 hit

Without gemming for hit at all you are looking at 155+ hit rating and the only slot you are avoiding an upgrade in is your neck. All things considered I will probably keep the hit rating on the neck as it is a good dose of hit in a single slot and reducing missed attacks and taunts is a worthwhile investment.

For those unimpressed with the 4pc bonus you might appreciate this http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f175/...gear-list.html as it lists a setup I was looking at which provides 147 hit which isn't too shabby.

Thunder Clap, demo shout, and taunt arent those all spells anyways?

I'll never agree with the fixation to cap one's hit in the same way that I'll never believe that just having a single set of gear is correct way for one to gear. Some fights especially those where landing a Taunt is crucial, it definitely is worth having high hit rating and the Taunt glyph, but almost any other fight, hit is pretty lackluster. I value the damage I do, absolutely, but I value my life more.

There are far more fights where if I can get some more avoidance, expertise or even block rating instead of hit rating... I take it.

If you want to maximize your threat generation - yes you need hit.

As for the taunt ability, form my personal experiense, if you are hit capped (8%) without having the glyph of taunt, your taunt could miss once in a while, but it can be covered by mocking blow, that is mele ability and hits 100% when you are hit capped. Most probably you wont miss again while mocking is on cd, but if you do you still have challenging shout..
    If you under 3-4% hit, and you are on boss that requires tank switches - get glyph of taunt.

My personal opinion - i even would gem for hit, as i hate missing hits at pull, or seeing dps getting close on threat.

If you need the hit, grab the conquest badge belt and pieces like that for those fights you absolutely don't want to miss a taunt. Take into account though that shadow priest/moonkin buff helps you in reaching the taunt hit cap though.

Well, I might be the odd ball in the bunch but I love to gear for threat as a tank. Here's what my end game is looking like as of now. Some of the pieces I have are from regular ToC only because the site doesn't currently have the heroic versions in the database yet.

Profiler - Wowhead

I am also missing about 1200 health because I can't get the application to add a belt socket or the BS sockets.

Using +40 hit food btw, and g2g.

+ Reply to Thread