+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking question

Tanking question

I know that we need 535 defense for heroics and 540 defense for raids but do we need a certain hit rating and expertise rating before we are able to be effective tanks?

I also want to ask when and how often we should use our tanking cooldowns (IBF, UA, VB) and is there an addon that can flash a reminder that they are off cooldown?

You need enough hit and expertise to maintain threat, so a lot depends on your dpsers.

You should use our cooldowns anytime you need them to prevent yourself from dieing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravok View Post
    I know that we need 535 defense for heroics and 540 defense for raids but do we need a certain hit rating and expertise rating before we are able to be effective tanks?
    After reading for a bit here the other day, I know that getting Expertise capped would generate a lot of threat if your low on it. I'm not sure about the hit cap or what the expertise cap is.

Good questions

expertise soft cap is 26 and the hit cap is roughly around 264 without external considerations.

For cooldowns, I generally use them in this order.

Shield Block, Shield Wall, Last Stand.

Shield block is used whenever I begin loosing health and the healers cant keep up.

Shield wall, is for the same thing but I'm really getting wailed on.

Last Stand is pretty much self explanatory - use it or die...

Often times, shield block is all you need, until you hit some sort of emergency and then you will hit shield wall and last stand at the same time.

To be an effective tank you need to stay alive and hold aggro on whatever you are tanking. Expertise and hit rating will help you hold aggro and you should shoot for the numbers already posted above. However, they are easier to obtain as your gear gets better. A low number in either area should not prevent you from tanking most anything.

I also wouldn't be suprised to have aggro issues if your just joining the tank game, since it's a little late in this cycle. You'll run across plenty of very well geared dps by now that may out-aggro you since your just starting out.

I also want to ask when and how often we should use our tanking cooldowns (IBF, UA, VB) and is there an addon that can flash a reminder that they are off cooldown?
    Many bosses have a specific moment when you should have a cooldown ready to negate their high damage spells or attacks. It'll take a while to figure them all out but that's generally the use for all tanking cooldowns. For trash mobs or tank and spank bosses you can use them as you see fit. An addon would help with that. I use the tellmewhen mod if I want to see spells that are done cooling down and buffs or debuffs. There may be better ones.

I logged out in my tank armor. Here is the link: The World of Warcraft Armory

I just want to make sure all the stats I have will keep me holding aggro. I would have taken up tanking a long time ago but I just get scared thinking Im gonna ruin it for the group. I need to get over that hump.

+ Reply to Thread