+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Coliseum Faction Champions

On 10 man, this is the strategy we employed.

We decided to have our mage put out two back to back sheeps on the Paladin, then switch to one Cyclone, then have our Prot Warrior interrupt the Pally. Our Rogue opened with a Sap on the Hunter, and then Blinded him when it was off. We put everybody on the tree and used Bloodlust to burn it down right away.

We had a Shadow Priest and a Disc Priest who would periodically fear the Enh Shaman and the Death Knight.

Everybody was in PvE gear at the time. We had three healers.

We then killed the Hunter, the Enh Shaman, the Warrior, the Shadow Priest (who was on Poly/Cyclone rotation), and finally owned the Holy Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Drainlek View Post
    Hello guys
    Iam here to express my opinion about this,...the fact is that blizzard really screwed things this time, i love the game and i thank to blizz about that but they really screwed things on this boss. This were soppose to be another raiding instance, even being sort of a arena. Iam at a PVE guild and when we faced this boss(es) we were petrifide with the figth.
    95% PVP.Comon I hate PVP and iam not good at it.Actually nearly all my guild hate PVP as well. And we need to kill this one if we actually want to get throw the rest of the instance.Even if someone says the the inverse its the truth this is PVP even if were figthing NPC, its like battling bots in a arena or warsong Gluth. it PVP and the rest is nothing.Each one with 2.4M O.o like what? I even will not comment about this.

This is my opinion, and i totally respect other opinions, but iam really mad with this.
    It sounds like you let the encounter beat you before you even started to be honest. My guild is a PvE guild, we mostly suck at PvP and arena type stuff. We one shot the 25 man version of this encounter tonight after getting a couple groups through the 10 man last night. It honestly is not that hard. The tactics are different and it is a chaotic fight, but it is still just NPCs with set abilties that act in a fairly predictable manner. Watch the videos here, read the tactics people are using - they work and they do not require any special knowledge or skills that you do not already have.

The basic things we tried to do:
    1. Melee DPS enemies are "tanked" by our tanks. These guys should all be snared through the entire fight.
    2. Ranged DPS enemies are CCed by our locks/mages/shaman/druids
    3. Focus one healer, lock down the other two, then move on to the next healer.
    4. Kite, kite, kite. Anyone taking damage and in danger should be running their asses off. Traps and totems should be down to help.
    5. Counter their buffs/debuffs. Dispel/purge their bloodlust/hots/bubbles, etc. Cleanse their dots and CC. Stomp totems, etc. If Grid shows something bad - fix it!
    Last edited by Sark; 08-20-2009 at 08:39 AM.

best way we found for us was to kill 1 healer-1dps-1 healer-1 dps-1 healer- and kill the others

during the figth 2 prot warrior were totally rendering the warrior/dk useless by taunting/stuning/disarming

that figth was really fun in 25 man.

Quote Originally Posted by goldesin View Post
    Great work with the movie, thanks from a small rogue and keep the work up!
    I still remember the times where this was the only place where to send some clueless raid members about a specific encounter..ahhh, sweet times.

Anyways, this looks lika a very fun encounter, I really look forward to trying them out tonight (25man).

PD: Aliena, such a lovely voice (needed to say, or rather write that since I've heard the movie)
    Not intended to offend and I agree she has a lovely voice, but I thought she could slow down a little bit and enunciate a bit better. She sounded a bit nervous which I suppose is understandable and it possibly had her speaking a bit too quickly. In a few places I had trouble understanding her.

On the overall though, I would much prefer to have the information than not and I think you guys @ Tankspot have done a fantastic job once again.

Hunter questions.

I'm a MM/Surv hunter getting ready to run this, and I have read all the posts here. I didn't see any reference to using silencing shot as an interrupt/silence, does it work or are they immune? Also, can scare beast be used to deal with animal-type enemies, such as Animal-form druids, and pets? That would be 30 seconds of beloved peace! I don't pvp very much, but I have used that when dealing with an irritating BM hunter with a corehound. Fear pet, and it's 2 on 1. my kind of odds.
    Thanks again for strategy from Y'all out there! Keep it up. And same to Blizzard for making an interesting instance. The same old 5-shot rotation dungeons were getting a bit boring. I think this will go down with VolZash's Insanity as the most interesting yet! Thanks!

Our guild downed these guys tonight on our third try.
    After our first couple of attempts (foccusing dps on the healers) failing misserably we decided to change it up a bit.
    We foccused the resto druid down whilst keeping CC's up on the warrior,dk and rogue we had a prot tank constantly on the disc priest interupting and any plate dps that could, taunting mobs off the clothies.
    We had pairs of CC'ers using deminishing returns to chain mobs for as long as possible (e.g. lock/mage fear untill immune then switch to sheep) to help with the dmg input our raid was recieving.

This is the order (or roughly, we improvised a couple of times) that we killed the mobs:
    Resto druid
    Rogue
    Warrior
    DK
    Shaman
    Paladin
    Hunter
    Shadow Priest
    Warlock
    Disc Priest

Cant even remember if thats it

The rogue/war are important to kill quickly as they can easilly burn down non-plate wearing members.

All in all, the fight is a lot easier than it looks. Its very hectic, a lot of things going on at the same time that people need to be aware of at the same time. Our healers found it very difficult as it is especially intensive for them (most importantly our priests who also had to cc), but as long as you can stay composed and controll your CCs well it shouldnt cause too many problems.

Will you think imp. disarm is a nice talent for such encounter?
    An addition 10% damage increased seems to be a great help for burning one down.
    And shorten our disarm cd also help us easly to protect our mate from the warrior.
    PS: Will the 10% damage increased works?

Imp disarm is nice talent for any encounter with disarmable enemies. However with so much talents that protection warrior have at his disposal today, it's hard to justify sticking two talents in disarm for it.

Kinda rule for disarm became that if your raid cannot kill disarmable target without disarm, your disarm wont help it either...
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

Imp disarm is nice talent for any encounter with disarmable enemies. However with so much talents that protection warrior have at his disposal today, it's hard to justify sticking two talents in disarm for it.

Kinda rule for disarm became that if your raid cannot kill disarmable target without disarm, your disarm wont help it either...
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

This fight was tons of fun. We one-shot it after sending in a couple of 10 mans to scope it out the night before, where we also made quick work of it.

We took a different approach than suggested here in that we eliminated what we perceived to be the most dangerous DPS threats first while disrupting and controlling the healers (Rogue then Warlock in our case); once you build a lead, it's hard for the 8 remaining NPCs to overcome your raid.

I honestly don't think it matters whether you target DPS or Healers first, as your success will likely come down to your raids ability to control targets with non-overlapping CC, swapping CC effectively to avoid DR, burning down the target that has the healing debuff on it and periodically counterspelling/stunning/fearing etc. to keep putting the NPCs deeper into deficit. It's definitely an encounter where you turn off the DPS/Healing meters and focus on executing your respective role(s), with abilities that you probably don't get to use in a raid setting very often.

Refreshing IMO.

My horde guild attempted this fight last night and, to say the least, we got facerolled. We ended up ending the raid night due to this frustrating encounter. The makeup we faced was:

Holy Pally
    Tree Druid
    DK
    SP
    Hunter
    Ele Sham

Our makeup was

Prot Warrior
    Prot Pally
    Hunter
    Disc Priest
    Holy Pally
    Tree Druid
    Ele Sham
    Warlock
    Rogue - was NOT spamming FoK, perhaps this was an issue
    Arms Warrior

Once we figured out that we could actually stop for a minute and plan things out, we eventually got the Tree down with a focus-fired bloodlust. Unfortunately, we could not make much headway with the Pally as (in typical PVP-Paladin fashion) she (it was a female Draenei, this comment is not intended to assume that all Pallys who bubble are female) bubbled when focused upon.

I am not the most PVP-savvy person in our guild (I avoid it unless absolutely necessary), but we just couldn't figure out the "trick" here. I'm glad to read that we are not the only guild having issues with this encounter. Hopefully we can overcome this and down them. However, I'm questioning the inclusion of this type of an encounter in a PVE environment. It must be retribution for having Achievements in battlegrounds (Joke). However, it would seem that Blizzard thinks we must be completely well-rounded WoW players to advance through the PVE content. This isn't necessarily bad, it's just frustrating to those of us that choose not to engage in such playstyles.

To the above poster who assigned his guild member to punch the developer that came up with this fight, I salute you and wish your assassin well.

Downed them

Got the 25 man version down in 3 attempts last night after wiping 5 times the prior day.

Enemy Set up
    BACK ROW : Hunter | Resto Druid | Disc Priest | Resto Shaman | Ret Pally

FRONT ROW : Mage (arcane) | Rogue | Death Knight (unholy?) | Arms Warrior | Warlock (image below is from the previous night w/ Shadow Priest)
    1. Enemy Healers Shaman - kill target #1, Priest - kill target #2, Druid (tree) - kill target #3.

All dps on Shaman. Prot warrior (me) and rogue were assigned to Priest for butt tons of interrupts and stuns. Druid (tree) was left to be a. banished, b. feared, and c. left alone pretty much.

The initial pull and burning down of kill target #1 is the most important part of the fight.

2. Initial Pull - Prot warrior charges in at Priest - kill target #2 (who is positioned at the back center of cluster) at the same time Fury warrior charges in at Ret Pally on the far right end. Immediately I thunder clap and Intimidating shout which scatters the entire left half of the crowd, and my fellow fury warrior charges in to fear the other half (especially the warlock and two dps plate baddies). This spreads the mobs around and allows for a singling out of Shaman - kill target #1.

3. Dps down. Go epileptic on Shaman - kill target #1. Heroism/tricks/fok/army/dispell/stun/blood boil/you name it. At about 80-70% dmg on shaman the baddies start to regroup, have a warlock fear the warrior. Put blind or something on dk, not essential but those two plate dps-ers (DK and Warrior) are the only two to occasionally be aware of and cc when they start coming back.
    This in contrast to other strats above that have DKs use death grip, chains of ice and taunt. Ours DKs didnt want to go frost, instead they keep the blood spec on for massive dps. This requires non bads in the raid to be on the watch for Whirlwind and Aggro and snare/trap/root/cc/whatever to fend them off.
    4. Once Shaman is down burn Priest - kill target #2 which has been locked up till then. Have warrior and rogue then move to Druid (tree) - kill target #3 Just to annoy interrupt and whatever so that priest can be nuked. Once the priest & tree is dead its all about plate baddies.

All healers dead? good

5. Kill warrior or DK, I'd go with warrior. Disarm, taunt, stun, repeat, then DK same thing. At this point a semblance of a normal tanking raid encounter is established. Both Tanks can now taunt/charge/intercept/revenge/concussion/ on the same target. Best policy would be to stun/lock/fear/wtvr on dk (there should be a new name for this kind of cc, the "oh-shit" cc)

DPS jerks gone? nice

6. Kill Warlock and Boomkin if you have one.

- After this it's your ball game. We paid attention to the Rogue, and Ret Pally, but they were scrubs so we didn't sweat it too much. Last to go was the Hunter.

Got my Girdle of Bloodied Scars last night because my fellow Tankadin felt charitable. GL!

Last edited by Killga; 08-22-2009 at 01:58 AM.

Is the list of diminishing returns from Diminishing returns - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft correct for the groups of abilities that share the same DR cooldown?

Quote Originally Posted by Reij View Post
    I am not the most PVP-savvy person in our guild (I avoid it unless absolutely necessary), but we just couldn't figure out the "trick" here. I'm glad to read that we are not the only guild having issues with this encounter. Hopefully we can overcome this and down them. However, I'm questioning the inclusion of this type of an encounter in a PVE environment. It must be retribution for having Achievements in battlegrounds (Joke). However, it would seem that Blizzard thinks we must be completely well-rounded WoW players to advance through the PVE content. This isn't necessarily bad, it's just frustrating to those of us that choose not to engage in such playstyles.
    I don't understand this mentality at all. This is far from a PvP encounter, despite it kind of looking like one. The NPCs aren't going to do something unpredictable, fake-cast to bait your own casts, etc. Your guild was stymied by a Paladin bubble? Seriously? Maybe your raid members aren't used to using things like Shattering Throw or Mass Dispel, or swapping en masse onto another target, quickly putting up a healing debuff and then disrupting the healer, but this isn't rocket science, it's just a matter of execution as is the case in any PvE encounter.

I wonder if there was no such thing as Arenas in this game if people would still view this as a "PvP encounter" rather than a Boss fight that requires coordination across 10 NPCs. I mean, it would still be the same fight ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgrym View Post

I wonder if there was no such thing as Arenas in this game if people would still view this as a "PvP encounter" rather than a Boss fight that requires coordination across 10 NPCs. I mean, it would still be the same fight ...
    Its pretty clearly a PVP encounter.

The mobs are all representations of player classes, they use the same spells & attacks as the players. They coordinate & support each other to a minor extent.

Its as close as blizz can make a boss encounter to a PVP brawl.

Quote Originally Posted by loquatious View Post
    Its pretty clearly a PVP encounter.

The mobs are all representations of player classes, they use the same spells & attacks as the players. They coordinate & support each other to a minor extent.

Its as close as blizz can make a boss encounter to a PVP brawl.
    Except for the small detail that the second "P" is missing from "PvP". And that the NPCs use a TINY subset of what those Classes would actually use. And that they each have about 2.5M health. I'm glad you qualified coordination and support between them with "to a minor extent" because they do some pretty comical stuff, specifically in regards to overlapping CC (mentioned elsewhere in this thread). It's also fairly predictable (eg. Ice Block or Bubble at low health).

Look, I acknowledge the flavor that Blizzard is going after here. The only point I'm trying to make is that some are bringing a misplaced hatred for Arenas and PvP to this and it may even be hampering their success. I mean, the detestable stuff that people usually highlight from Arenas (that I also dislike) is largely absent in this encounter. You're not brutally constrained by your "team comp" . There isn't an asshat on the other side who's going to start /spitting on you. It's not a "twitch" contest between you and a crazed 13 year old.

If you've been playing MMOs for a long time, wouldn't you appreciate the replayability of something like this? I guess raiding is such a routine to me that I like the odd Boss fight that a) makes me use abilities I never get to use and b) forces me to evaluate the enemy before actually engaging them each time.

For 10 man, we went from swearing at our monitors a few nights ago to a virtual 2-shot tonight by utilising a really key bit of info. We had 2 tanks (me a DK specced and geared DPS and a Prot Warrior) with 3 healers and 5 DPS. Make sure your DPS is able to CC in some fashion.

We had 2 DK's, so we started the pull in a very novel fashion, which worked wonders for us. Both DK's lined up behind each other at max Death Grip range. Rogue opened with a sap on the warlock, the mage sheeped the other ranged DPS (shad priest) leaving a warrior, ret pally, resto shammy and resto druid up. We made it clear that the resto shammy should drop first (I HIGHLY recommend this, his BL and totems are just nasty!).

As the CC was applied by a countdown in raid chat, the DK Death Gripped the resto shammy into the middle. I immediately (and with my Army of Ghouls newly risen while the sap was being applied!) pulled the Shammy back again. This meant we ended up with our first target at the back of the room, and the casters all CC'ed. We left the resto druid to his own devices.

After I pulled him in, I broke off with the prot warrior to deal with the now closing NPC Ret Pally and Warrior. Our DPS unleashed on the shammy and got him down quick, as he didn't have the resto druid (who I had Chain of Iced as I ran to the pally) to heal him. We then focused on the resto druid and nailed him down with interrupts while we took him/her out.

Once the healers were gone, the fight was cake. The melee NPC's were kited/slowed/taunted/stunned as much as possible, so they didn't get near our own clothies. We took them out next and then focused on the cloth DPS. Our raid priest went BERZERK on Mass Dispel. If you can say that there is one class requirement for this raid, it is a priest! IN saying that, we didn't have bloodlust but with other abilities (such as Army of the Dead etc) we didn't need it. 2 tanks are great for neutralising 2 of their melee DPS. Swap targets from time to time with each other if you have to.

We learned three very valuable lessons though which I think is key to victory in both 10 and 25:
    1. Seperate/isolate your first DPS target as best you can. If that means Frost Novaing/Hungering Cold on the group of NPC's and Death Gripping/Taunting the first mob, do it. But once you get 1 down without minimal interference, you can quickly build the momentum to get the other healers down. The fight becomes a joke once you do this, and it just keeps getting easier and easier. The pull organisation is key.

2. Befuddle the NPC's targeting with armies of your own adds/pets/companions. I popped my ghouls at the start and watched with amusement as the NPC's went for these multiple targets instead of us! Have a rotation, I popped mine, once mine were down, the mage popped Mirror Images, once they went down our other DK popped his Ghoul Army as well. Distraction is key! Hunter snake traps also work well I have been told, but don't pop everything at once. Have a steady stream of alternate targets for the NPC's!

3. Rotate your targets. Be a jack of all trades, and don't be blinkered into having one target. DPS one target before breaking off and slowing another one. CC another one, and go back to DPSing the primary target. Anything you can do to help, will go a long way! Have your CCer's have two targets they must swap between to circumvent the diminishing returns.

All in all, best of luck. I went from hating this fight to having a lot of fun with it and can't wait to do it next week. We also wore full PvE gear, with no trinkets. In hindsight, trinkets could be useful, and could make this fight even easier.

Suffer well.
    Last edited by Malefik; 08-23-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    More freaking plate drops then a Greek Wedding...

A Blast

We spent about an hour tring to figure out what we wanted to do.

In the end we brought in 3 Locks and 3 mages into the fight. After we did that... we cleared it. We seperated them into Lock/Mage teams to focus CC on 2 targets for each team. When the DR was up the lock/Mage combos would switch off Poly/fear casts on their 2 assignesd targets. They were able to CC 6 mobs very easily.

For our run we were up against the Resto Shaman, Disc Priest, and Resto Druid. Kill order was Sham, then Priest. We just left a Lock on the Druid the entire fight to spam Fear and banish.

It was hell at 1st but once we understood what was really going on... it was cake. We are very confident that we can 1 shot this on 25man next reset (Provideded we face teh same mobs again)

I am not sure if this has been brought up in any previous post but tonight we discovered that the NPC's aren't using the most up-to-date spells. We had an enhancement shaman that was still able to interrupt using Earth Shock.

We were in 10 man version and went up against a lock, enh sham, rogue, arc mage, tree druid and holy/disc priest. We had a ton of trouble as the druid's HoT's ticked for about 25-26k. There were interrupts and spell locks galore in this group and healing was especially tough. The strat we attempted to employ started with burning down the felhunter followed by the priest while attempting to CC mobs here and there. We had no luck...

Well, last night we got in 10man:
    Enh Shamman
    Rogue
    Mage
    Disc Priest
    Resto Druid
    Warlock + Felhunter

We had: Mage (who went to pvp frost spec, and it helped tonz), Warlock, Holy Priest, Ehn Shammy x 2 (1 went resto), Rogue x 2, Feral, Holy Pally, and me Prot Warrior.

After many wipes we realiced this:
    1- Resto Druid must be CC (banish works untill inmune, then Fear him.
    2- Disc Pirest was fearing, penacing and topping everybody, so he must die 1st.
    3- Rogue if not dealt with him soon would rape our clothies how he was doing.
    4- Mage is the least of your concerns since the sheep can and was being cleansed and he was blinking too much for us to try him 1st.
    5- Totems must be killed ASAP

We had 5 in mele so we had 1 ennh shammy go healing and that way we removed ppl from melee range (Be spread is the key, they need to spend time to reach you and if you make that time longer you'll win, that was what made us succed after all)
    Let me tell you Prot Warriors are pro at this, much better CC/kicks/locks with healers than Fury/Arms so dont go OS if you are one (first time prot pallys dont shine imo)
    We sapped Mage and Lock, banished druid and Warrior opening the fight with charge and intimidating shout is golden, then sheeped the rogue, used heroism on the start, stun lock and killed the priest, then the same w the rogue, then shammy, then lock and pet, then druid, then mage = gg.

Tip with the rogue: have a mage frost kitting him after all CC breaks is very good, he has preference for cloth and a good mage kitter rocks here.
    Another thing key: have a shammy purging all the HOTS in the dps target, druid will break CC fast and he will HOT him non stop.

again that was for that configuration
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread