+ Reply to Thread

Thread: doing the right thing or over doing it?

doing the right thing or over doing it?

Hi guys, unlike almost everyone here i'm still new to tanking and i was wondering if i'm tanking properly or overdoing things. Ex: Northend Beast(1st add), a prot pally tanks it 1st, i go battle stance sunder up, clap, demo, shattering throw then go retal b4 going to dstance and taunting the add. after he taunts i go zerker then pop recklessness then do some dps etc. Am i overdoing it on a simple tank and spank duty or am i doing the right thing? thanks

kcee of Jubeithos

Why would you start in battle stance when you can devastate in defensive stance and do more damage to the boss while still stacking sunders?

With a decent rotation, you really don't need to pop rec. with the amount of rage you will have.

What happens if you pop recklessness and the other tank gets gibbed and you need to taunt? Now you're tanking for the next 10 seconds or so with while your healers shift to a new healing target while taking 20% more damage. For how much additional dps?

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    What happens if you pop recklessness and the other tank gets gibbed and you need to taunt? Now you're tanking for the next 10 seconds or so with while your healers shift to a new healing target while taking 20% more damage. For how much additional dps?
    And if your second tank dies durring the first boss how do you plan on solo tanking the 2 worms?

You can Devastate in battle stance too... and believe it or not, just spamming Dev from battle stance will leave you really high on the threat list. At the beginning of the fight a few lucky crits and you might pull...

I do that as well, I let the other tank grab the boss, then I go battle stance -> charge -> 5 sunders -> shattering throw.

Then I'll switch back to Defensive stance b/c it's just safer... and my dps isn't appreciably higher in other stances (it goes up a few hundred for a fraction of the fight when raid dps is 30k - it doesn't matter).

Other than shattering being a nice raid buff, I see no reason not to be prepared if things go badly, so I think you have the right idea... just taking it too far.

And if your second tank dies durring the first boss how do you plan on solo tanking the 2 worms?
    Well, I don't know about other guilds, but in that unfortunate circumstance, my guild would have one of our trusty druids battle-rez the dead tank and then do a quick rebuff so that she's ready to rumble with the wormses.

I know it may be an unorthodox solution, but it works for us.

trusty druids battle-rez
    Wish i had one or 3 of those :P

Druids are handy to have - feral dps is OP as are resto.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentcale View Post
    Why would you start in battle stance when you can devastate in defensive stance and do more damage to the boss while still stacking sunders?

With a decent rotation, you really don't need to pop rec. with the amount of rage you will have.
    Agreed. Your role as a tank, nothing else. Do as much dps as you can, but your main role is to tank. You'll be the fail safe if your MT/OT splat on the floor.

Well, I don't know about other guilds, but in that unfortunate circumstance, my guild would have one of our trusty druids battle-rez the dead tank and then do a quick rebuff so that she's ready to rumble with the wormses.

I know it may be an unorthodox solution, but it works for us.
    You realize though that a tank who dies b/c he wasn't ready to tank is tantamount to a dps standing in fire and burning to death?

Battle rez shouldn't be used so cavalierly... good luck doing something like Thorim hardmode when tanks are *already* dying during tank swaps. Or Mimiron where a healer occasionally eats it for a multitude of reasons.

And seeing as how this is a 3 phase encounter, using battle rez on the easiest phase is just... I can't find a word other than wrong here.

Of course if you're in a 25 man raid guild then you can get away with having multiple druids in raid. But honestly this is just developing bad habits.

+ Reply to Thread