+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frost DW Tank Assistance

Frost DW Tank Assistance

Doing this not necessarily on my own volition but I've been told I need to get help on my tanking.

I dual wield frost tank - this will NOT change btw - and have my moments. Threat and agro seem to be an issue although not directly brought to my attention (indirectly moreso).

WWS from the XT fight on 8/5:
    Wow Web Stats

Armory of my Frost Tank DW Build:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Being stubborn is no way to improve your abilities. Perhaps if you lighten up a bit and try something new you will find many of your issues resolve themselves. It takes a specific set of gear to be able to pull off DW, mostly involving an insane amount of expertise. If you don't have ~50 expertise, its probably not worth your time to even try. This is debated over and over but results show that without enough expertise as a DW tank you will get parry-haste-pwnt left and right.

1/3 Annihilation?
    Glyph of IBF?
    2/3 Acclimation?

None of these are good choices. I wouldn't use any of your glyphs to be honest. Without SoB or CotG, you're hampering your RP output.

(I refrained from commenting on DW tanking, but that's not me supporting it either. There's a lot of reasons you shouldn't.)

Heya, Ak!

I'll preface this by saying that what I don't know about DKs could fill the astrodome.

Still, as a practical/experimental thing, might you consider using Dual-Spec to have a DW spec/set as well as a 2-H spec/set? I would guess that a lot of the gear could be interchangeable--though I'm not certain about that.

In any case, this would give you the option to try the expertise-stacking scenario on DW, but you could also try out the 2-H approach just to get a feel for it. It might even end up being the case that you could use one effectively for trash, and another for bosses. Iunno...just a thought. My initial reaction is that getting up to 50+ expertise might cut into your health pool a bit so the 2 sets/specs could be looked at as having a threat set and an EH set--this would provide some versatility and still allow you to play the way you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zivh View Post
    Being stubborn is no way to improve your abilities. Perhaps if you lighten up a bit and try something new you will find many of your issues resolve themselves. It takes a specific set of gear to be able to pull off DW, mostly involving an insane amount of expertise. If you don't have ~50 expertise, its probably not worth your time to even try. This is debated over and over but results show that without enough expertise as a DW tank you will get parry-haste-pwnt left and right.
    Actually, the parses I've posted indicated a hit-per-time reduction at 31 expertise. We're still trying to figure out why there weren't more cases where parry-haste came up, but using the timestamps on the data posted there actually weren't any more.

As for the actual spec, what sort of rotation are you using? Your build doesn't have annihilation capped out, but you took rime. I've done some experimenting with a build that replaces obliterate with death strike in an effort to improve survivability (short version of the analysis: threat is weaker, but passable - requires glyph of death strike instead of glyph of obliterate meaning the decision needs to be made outside combat), but then why take rime? If your build is centered around obliterate, why not finish out annihilation?

Glyph of Icebound Fortitude has no effect at all if your defense is over the boss-crit threshold (in fact, the turnover point where it becomes useless is quite a bit lower, but if you're under 540 defense you have more pressing concerns than a wasted glyph slot). There was a time when it improved IBF's effect even with defense, but that bug has been fixed.

-Splug

As others above have commented, there seems to be some odd use of talent points there.

I would suggest moving the 3/5 Icy Talons and 2/3 Acclimation into filling out Annihilation and Scent of Blood. That still leaves you lacking Chill of the Grave. While the snap aggro of Deathchill is very useful, I'd move that point into CotG and perhaps only run 2/3 Scent of Blood. Pretty sure the extra RP from CotG would equate to more average threat than DC offers, your mileage may vary though.

Gemming seems a little odd as well. AP/Hit gem? Also seem to have a lot of threat gems vs. avoidance/EH gems. Not sure what content you are doing so perhaps threat is an issue you are working on.

Glyphs too seem odd. Why are you using glyph of disease with this build? As said above, drop the IBF and UA glyph. I'd run glyph of Howling Blast, Obliterate than either Rune Strike or Frost Strike. With HB applying frost fever you shouldn't need the Disease glyph since HB will be part of your rotation so often.

Based on your WWS it seems Rune Strike is wayyyyyy low. Are you having a lack of RP to use it? You might try macro'ing it to some of your other abilities so you can get them off more reliably (yes its a crutch, I use it myself... :P ).

Nekhar delivered the comments I was looking for - the "lighten up" bit? Not what I was after so I'll ignore that post/comment.

Thanks Nekhar, thanks for actually supplying some useful advice rather than the aforementioned bit.
    Threat is more the issue than avoidance as you hit on.

All of our tanks were told to come here and post up requests, and all mentioned that it was under duress. Poor Ak's just the one who gets comments on it.

Ak to me seems on par with our other tanks so far as threat goes-- I honestly have not seen any threat-peeling for some time and our trash pulls have been rather quick and clean.

I don't recall seeing any parry-haste gib either, but we could sift the logs. We usually check for that if we have an unexpected tank death.

+ Reply to Thread