+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TOS Lack of a new tanking axe?

TOS Lack of a new tanking axe?

Unless there is more gear that has not been discovered and is not listed in the armory, wowhead, mmochampion I am unaware of any new tanking axes in the new content Ulduar+

Any ideas why this would be?
    Ogrim's Deflector - Items - Sigrie - sword
    Blood and Glory - Items - Sigrie - mace
    Ardent Guard - Items - Sigrie - sword
    Sorthalis, Hammer of the Watchers - Item - World of Warcraft - mace
    Ardent Guard - Items - Sigrie - sword
    Shiver - Item - World of Warcraft - mace
    Titanguard - Item - World of Warcraft - sword

New swords, new maces, new axes for dps.... but nothing for tanks, wtf?

Those of us that are Orcs are getting shafted by being forced to use weapons with no racial benefit of any kind if we want to utilize higher ilvl weapons (and lack other passive benefits such as Tauren health, Warstomp, etc to make up for it).

Thoughts?

Go on, tank with a fist weapon! :P

Perhaps its balance after so long having last laugh as the BiS. Alliance dwarves and humans did just fine using it.

If there were a tank fist I would love to use it. Alliance, dwarves, etc are all happy with Titanguard off of the first and easiest boss in Ulduar 25.

Orcs have been SOL since Nax and nothing even in TOC?

EDIT: There are 12 new DPS axes in TOC 10/25 with higher ilvl then Last Laugh and not a single 1 was made for tanks. There are 7 GREAT tank weapons from Ulduar/TOC and not a single 1 is an axe. Are they intentionally nerfing Orcs? lol
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 08-17-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Agreed absolutely.
    The first thing I did was check the list for axes.
    Last Laugh was amazing in that aspect.
    They need to change one of these damn maces to an axe.
    Or possibly alter our racial for use with maces/swords?
    Though that may unbalance other things.

Definitely feel your pain though

Squirrelnut, I was kidding with a tanking fist weapon. It royally sucks not having a tanking axe. You'd think they could have put a DPS axe with a yellow socket, with a small hit or crit bonus.
    I'd also like to mention that I am tanking with a DPS weapon. It's a sword on my dwarf paladin. Don't let it get to you!

I think it would be really entertaining if there was a tanking fist weapon

You know as a NE warrior, i do just fine without a weapon bonus as a tank... Gnomes too...Draenei also.... You know i think trolls and undead tank just fine without a special weapon bonus as well...

Putting in a weapon with a special bonus for just one class seams a bit unbalanced and bloated to a loot table...

As I look through the current weapons I don't notice any 25m normal mode TOC weapons, perhaps they will include a 25m normal diff axe in the near future

- Ogrim's Deflector (ilvl 258 - 25m heroic - off Tribute Chest)
    - Blood and Glory (ilvl 245 - 10m heroic - off Tribute Chest)
    - Ardent Guard (ilvl 245 - 10m heroic - off Anub'arak)
    - Sorthalis, Hammer of the Watchers - (ilvl 239 - Ulduar 25m hardmode - off Deconstructor)
    - Ardent Guard (ilvl 232 - 10m normal - off Anub'arak)
    - Shiver (ilvl 232 - Ulduar10 hardmode - off Hodir)

The lack of any 25m normal diff TOC tank weapons seems like a nice open gap to put in an axe and balance out the tank weapon scene.

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Where are the Tanking Axes?

I actually started a thread on the WoW forums earlier this morning (apparently we were thinking alike today Squirrelnut) so if anyone would like to add their thoughts there too, they're more than welcome to. It's probably best if we stick to just 1 thread over there though.
    Last edited by veneretio; 08-17-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    You know as a NE warrior, i do just fine without a weapon bonus as a tank... Gnomes too...Draenei also.... You know i think trolls and undead tank just fine without a special weapon bonus as well...

Putting in a weapon with a special bonus for just one class seams a bit unbalanced and bloated to a loot table...
    Adding 4 new swords and 3 new maces without 1 single tanking axe seems like an unbalanced and bloated loot table to me.

That added to the fact that virtually every other race has at least 3 main benefits from their class while Orc RELY on axe racial to be their third (Blood Fury, Hardiness & Axe Spec). The similar race is Dwarf with mace... who received 3 new maces.

EDIT: Feel free to compare racials seen here: Racial trait - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
    EDIT2: haha I just noticed that Vene after throwing up a similar topic on the WoW Forums as well. I was annoyed by the lack of axe issue as I was tweaking the BiS gear list today
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 08-17-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Blame the rogues, I say.

Also have you considered that blizzard may feel the orc racial is overpowered in comparison with all the other horde racials, hence why they dont add more axes?

Also have you considered that blizzard may feel the orc racial is overpowered in comparison with all the other horde racials, hence why they dont add more axes?
    Considering Humans and Dwarves have similar/same racial benefit from sword/mace and received nice upgrades in TOC i fail to see how that would be Blizzard's reasoning. Why would alliance tanks have an advantage over horde?

Because there are so many alliance idiots, they need all the help they can get. Finding an idiot horde tank is about as common as finding a female dwarf tank.

<And yes, you can smile at the irony that my tankadin is a female dwarf>

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    Considering Humans and Dwarves have similar/same racial benefit from sword/mace and received nice upgrades in TOC i fail to see how that would be Blizzard's reasoning. Why would alliance tanks have an advantage over horde?
    Because a raid will never take a Dwarf warrior over a Orc...

They might however take an orc over a troll if that orc gets a significant threat boost over that troll...

Alliance racials for tanking have to be balanced to other alliance racials for tanking, just as horde racials must be balanced with the horde side, but as you will never have a hordie losing their spot to an alliance or an alliance to horde, they do not have to be balanced to each other

They might however take an orc over a troll if that orc gets a significant threat boost over that troll...

Alliance racials for tanking have to be balanced to other alliance racials for tanking, just as horde racials must be balanced with the horde side, but as you will never have a hordie losing their spot to an alliance or an alliance to horde, they do not have to be balanced to each other
    You are saying the horde racials are so unbalanced that it warrants a complete disregard of adding axes ilvl 258 vs Nax gear 226? If that were the case why are there 7 new DPS axes ilvl 245-258? Why are Orcs treated differently as tanks then dps?

EDIT: If you are correct then it sounds like a serious racial imbalance that they are trying to fix (with a very poor method) by not releasing gear upgrades. If you are wrong and there isn't a serious racial imbalance then it seems like Bliz has simply made a mistake by forgetting to include tank axes for no apparent reason.
    EDIT2: Maybe following their tank statistics approach toward Warriors they want to 'thin' the number of orcs? lol
    Last edited by Squirrelnut; 08-17-2009 at 04:17 PM.

LOL! Somehow, instead of a vast anti-orc conspiracy, I'm betting the art guys just weren't in an axe mood that day and the item design team looked at the model, checked the appropriate box in the "Mace, Sword, Axe, Dagger, or Fist" category, and threw it in the database.

To be honest, though, with the different looks of alliance vs. horde gear, it would have made a lot more sense to have the alliance tank weapons to be mostly swords and maces and the horde ones be maces and axes.

They did it in Honor Hold / Thrallmar back in TBC. *shrug*

Right but here is the biggest difference to the past. HORDE AND ALLIANCE HAVE UNIQUE DROPS.

why not make the alliance ones swords and maces and the horde ones axes. they would still have the exact same stats and different models.... well they already have different models between horde and alliance anyway

That would be a hell of a trick if they could.

+ Reply to Thread