+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ulduar Freya 3 Elders (Hard Mode)

Ulduar Freya 3 Elders (Hard Mode)

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena (25-man)
    Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Ulduar raid guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll go over the strategy we use for the 25-man version of Knock Knock Knock on Wood, Freya's hard mode that you access by leaving all three Elders alive.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right. You will be automatically notified as we release movies that way.

Unlike the Sartharion 3 drake fight, any Elder you leave up in the Freya encounter will not join the fight directly, but each one of them gives Freya substantial buffs and new abilities.

Elder Ironbranch will give Freya the ability "Iron Roots". This is cast on three random raid members at a time and will root them in place as well as deal around 9000 damage every 2 seconds to the target. Currently, Iron Roots can be dispelled by most snare-breaking abilities such as a paladin's hand of freedom and druid shapeshift. They're also attackable and can be killed by regular DPS should your raid not be able to dispel them. Either way they need to be disposed of quickly.

Additionally, leaving him up increases physical damage dealt by adds by 50%.

Leaving Elder Stonebark up enables Freya to cast "Ground Tremor", which is a 2-second cast spell that deals around 13k damage to every raid member and interrupts and causes a lockout of 6 seconds for any spell school being cast at the time. Also, leaving him up increases Freya's physical damage dealt by 75%.

Elder Brightleaf lends Freya the ability "Solar Flare" which results in three Sunbeams popping up simultaneously that inflict 14000 damage every 2 seconds to anyone standing near one. Additionally, magic damage dealt by Freya and her adds is increased by 60%.

With all three Elders up, Freya and all her adds also gain 72% more health. Obviously that makes the DPS requirement a little more steep because you will need more time for each add phase.

Let me go over some general hints before I explain the different add phases. To make this fight work for you, you have to add efficiency and synergy to your raid group. Before the fight starts, assign people to little groups that spread around Freya in a circle. Each camp should have a healer and about 2 ranged dps. That way, you should never have more than three people that need to move from a Solar Flare and you also (ideally) won't have everyone running to the same mushroom in a Conservator phase.

Speaking of the Ancient Conservator phase, that's the huge tree you're seeing in the background. For this phase, spread out under the mushrooms as best as you can. Look for a new one when the shroom you're under gets big before it disappears, you want to minimize movement from mushroom to mushroom. Sometimes spawns are terrible and you can't do much about that, but you want to try and not clump up to avoid people taking massive damage from Nature's Fury. The person that gets targetted by it needs to move to a safe spot as soon as possible.

Under ideal circumstances that safe spot is a mushroom with no one else under it, but if people are clumped, just move away from them while staying in range of at least one healer. Communication is key here. If a tank gets targetted, obviously people near him or her have to move. The safe zone below a mushroom is fairly big, so take advantage of that and don't stand right on top of someone else unless you can't help it at all.

In the lasher phase the raid needs to clump up on Freya. Use targetted AoE and bring all lashers down to 20% health or less. Then have a tank AoE taunt all lashers from a range while your raid runs into the opposite direction. At this point they need to be burned down quickly and it's advised to have hunters lay down some frost traps or to use improved blizzard to snare the remaining lashers before they run off again and explode on someone. It may be a little difficult to figure out at first, but once you get some practice it's a fairly safe way to deal with lashers.

Be ready to deal with Solar Flares that may pop up while everyone is clumped. Your raid has to pay close attention and be ready to move and re-adjust if one or even multiple Flares pop on them. This is the greatest danger of the lasher phase. I find it easiest to pan up my camera and look straight down onto my character to spot Flares, but that comes down to personal preference.

For the elemental adds, we assign a Death Knight to Chains of Ice-kite the Snaplasher over and over and have him ready to taunt it if someone else draws aggro. Our offtank picks up the other two. Burn them down evenly. Of course, here too - communication is key. If you fail to kill them within 10 seconds of each other, they will ressurrect and you're most likely facing a wipe.

The little trees that pop up occassionally are called Eonar's Gift and should always have highest kill priority. If they manage to bloom they heal Freya and any adds that are currently up for a significant chunk of health.

You should save Bloodlust or Heroism for the second Conservator phase. This is most likely where you'll have to do some catch-up.

There are also some general tips I can give for phase 1 from a healing perspective. For one, if you're using Grid, you should also have GridStatusRaidDebuff installed. This lets you know very easily who's afflicted by Nature's Fury and Iron Roots and hence will need more heals or even an emergency save if Ground Tremor is coming up at the same time. Speaking of Ground Tremor, always watch its cooldown timer closely and make good use of instant spells during its cast. Disc priests are very useful raid healers in this encounter to counteract damage spikes.

Once you finish all six add phases, phase 2 starts and you can now finally start killing Freya. We split our raid into a melee and a ranged team. Melee stay north, ranged go south. Once Freya throws out her bombs, both teams simultaneously move to the left or the right, whichever side they aren't currently on. This minimizes movement and chaos. However, Freya will still cast Solar Flare, Ground Tremor and Iron Roots. Do make sure not to forget to break Iron Root targets out, this is especially important coupled with bombs.

The fight is very straightforward at this point however and if you haven't had many deaths, it should be a clean kill from here on out.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliena (10-man)
    Welcome back to the TankSpot Ulduar raid guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll explain the strategy used for Knock Knock Knock on Wood, the hard mode of the Freya encounter needed to complete Glory of the Ulduar Raider.

If you'd like more information or would like to learn more about downloading this movie, click "more info" on the movie information box on YouTube to head directly to TankSpot! Also, be sure to subscribe by clicking the Subscribe button to the right so you will be automatically notified as we release movies.

Freya's hard mode is accessed by not killing any of the three wooden Elders positioned in her lair. Unlike the 3 Drake Sartharion Fight, the Elders won't join the battle in person, but they lend their respective main ability and several buffs to Freya. She and all her adds will also gain an extra 72% health.

Leaving Elder Brightleaf up will increase magic damage done by Freya and all adds by 60%. Additionally, Freya will be able to cast Solar Flare - this leaves a sunbeam on the ground that deals around 8000 damage per tick to anyone standing in it.

Leaving Elder Stonebark up will increase physical damage dealt by Freya by 75%. Freya also gains the ability to cast Ground Tremor, which is a 2-second cast AoE ability that deals around 8000 physical damage to every raid member and will interrupt any spells being cast for 8 seconds. Casters need to pay close attention to this to avoid getting caught in that 8 second lockout.

Leaving Elder Ironbranch up will increase physical damage dealt by all adds by 50%. Freya also gains the ability to cast Iron Roots, which encase a raid member in roots rendering them unable to move and dealing periodic damage until broken free. Since 3.2, roots can also be broken with abilities such as Hand of Freedom, druid shapeshift and the like.

The fight itself remains unchanged. There will still be 6 add phases, two of each type, before you can move on to killing Freya herself.

We bring 1 tank and 2 healers, but for added security you can add in another tank or healer, depending on where you have a weakness. Having 2 AoE taunts available makes this fight a lot easier.

When you engage Freya, she'll summon her first set of adds.

The fist type of adds I'll talk about are Stormlasher, Ancient Water Spirit and Snaplasher. Those elemental type adds need to all be killed within 12 seconds of each other or they will resurrect.

Each time someone attacks a snaplasher, it gains a buff increasing its damage done by 10% but at the same time decreases its movement speed by 5%. This can stack up to 99 times. We prefer to kite them either with a hunter, shaman or a death knight.

Stormlashers have an interruptable chain lightning ability and Ancient Water Spirits will periodically charge and knock back a player including any other raid members near it. Our main tank tanks both those along with Freya. Killing this pack will remove 10 stacks of Attuned to Nature from Freya.

The second type of add is the Ancient Conservator. Our main tank also picks this guy up, but this is the main reason you may want to choose to have an offtank as Freya and the Conservator do hit pretty hard combined. As in the normal fight, spread out under the mushrooms. The person that gets Nature's Fury cast on them needs to move out of the group, but should try to find a mushroom further out so they're still able to cast or heal themselves. Killing a Conservator will drop 25 stacks of Attuned to Nature off Freya.

Make sure that Eonar's Gifts always have highest DPS priority - if you don't kill those trees within 10 seconds of them spawning, they'll heal Freya and all her adds for 30% of their maximum health.

The third add type are Detonating Lashers. Those quirky guys spawn in sets of 10, cannot be tanked and will randomly attack players. To deal with them, we have everyone group up on Freya and AoE them down uniformely until they're low on health, then we have a tank AoE taunt them from the riverbed and kill them while they're away from other players so no one but the tank gets hit by any detonation.

This part may take some practice - as you could see earlier on the very first wave in this vid, if you fail to kill them in that small timeframe you'll have to single target them down which results in a lot of AoE damage or easily a death or two and probably a wipe.

Make sure to pay close attention to sunbeams while you're clumped up, they're a lot harder to see since the patch.

After all six waves have been dealt with, phase 2 starts and you fight Freya directly. We split the raid in two groups, a ranged and a melee group. The ranged group stands to the south and the melee group stands to the north. When Freya throws out her pods, both groups move to the east or the west, whichever side they aren't on currently. That way, everyone is always in range and executed correctly, there shouldn't be any pod deaths.

Other than that, this phase is very straightforward and easy. Keep breaking people out of roots, keep avoiding sunbeams and don't get caught in ground tremor lockouts or pod spawns and Freya will go down very quickly.

Thanks for watching this movie! As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- click the second link in the movie information box to learn more!
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Movie up!

The 10man fight is relatively easy (as are most 10man hard modes) when compared to the 25man, which is a huge pain in the buttocks. Our guild just got it down this week and I've come to hate this fight out of all the hard modes we've done so far.

From how the video describes the detonating lashers I'm unclear on how they're handled. AoE taunt only taunts 10 yards, but the video makes it seem like you taunt from the riverbed...also, it only lasts 6 seconds...but even if you could get them all away and then burn them all down in that 6 seconds won't killing them all instagib whoever taunted?

Can we get a little more detail on exactly how that wave is handled? I've completed the encounter a few times on 10-man, but that wave always seems to give us some trouble.

Donor download up!

Quote Originally Posted by tPaste View Post
    From how the video describes the detonating lashers I'm unclear on how they're handled. AoE taunt only taunts 10 yards, but the video makes it seem like you taunt from the riverbed...also, it only lasts 6 seconds...but even if you could get them all away and then burn them all down in that 6 seconds won't killing them all instagib whoever taunted?

Can we get a little more detail on exactly how that wave is handled? I've completed the encounter a few times on 10-man, but that wave always seems to give us some trouble.
    If you are going to aoe taunt the lashers here is how it will work.

Everyone groups up when the lashers come out and starts aoeing. A hunter then moves about 10 yards away from Freya in a pre-designated location and drops a frost trap. It is very important for the aoe phase that your aoe is using only abilities that hit the entire group to ensure they all come down evenly or else you will end up with some going off before you are ready to move.

There will also almost always be a sunbeam on the raid during this phase make sure your raid knows this and moves -together- in a single direction that still allows access to the trap on the ground. When the lashers are ~20% health the call to taunt is given.

We have two aoe taunts in our raid. The feral druid and myself, the prot warrior. When I do the taunt I grab them all and move over to the frost trap, triggering it, and then shockwaving the mobs in place. A shaman also drops an earthgrab totem down right next to them which snags every single lasher. I then intervene away to the nearest friendly player and make it out without even requiring the use of a cooldown.

When our feral druid does it the entire process is esentially the same but instead of a shockwave, we have a warlock use their little aoe shadow splash thingy (forgive me I forgot the name) to stun all the mobs for 2 seconds. Once again, the shaman drops the earthgrab and the aoe kills them all without a second thought. If some do get away, it should only be very few and it can be handled in the way you see demonstrated in the video on the first phase of lashers.

This is not the only way to do the aoe taunt, but without a doubt the cleanest way we have come up with and it works pretty well with the right coordination.

Our tank moves out towards the riverbed and taunts, then moves out further after he's taunted while AoE capable classes keep aoeing the lashers. Most die before they reach the tank if done correctly. Frost traps make it smoother but we don't typically use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Our tank moves out towards the riverbed and taunts, then moves out further after he's taunted while AoE capable classes keep aoeing the lashers. Most die before they reach the tank if done correctly. Frost traps make it smoother but we don't typically use them.

Hmm...warriors aoe taunt reaches 10 yards and only keeps mobs focused on you for 6 seconds...it just doesn't seem like enough time nor distance to pull it off effectively and get separation from both the group and the taunter while still making sure you taunt them all...but I'll give it a try.

Ty, for the further explanation.

To be honest, we just found it easier if we all group up and quickly burn them down to about 10%, spread out, and slowly pick them off over the remaining 40-45 seconds to give healers time to catch up. Healing a small pick of people for 5Kish every few seconds seemed a lot easier than trying to wrangle mobs with de-aggro tendencies off to the side and quickly burn them down, hoping no one's going to get gibbed when they all blow up.

Mm yes that may well work, we just practice the same strategy in 10 and 25-man, works best for us and no one gets confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    To be honest, we just found it easier if we all group up and quickly burn them down to about 10%, spread out, and slowly pick them off over the remaining 40-45 seconds to give healers time to catch up. Healing a small pick of people for 5Kish every few seconds seemed a lot easier than trying to wrangle mobs with de-aggro tendencies off to the side and quickly burn them down, hoping no one's going to get gibbed when they all blow up.
    We use this method as well because we don't have the aoe taunts to make the other method work. One thing to note though is to have everyone in the raid watch for ground tremor, and to stop dps about 5 seconds before one is going to hit, then resume once everyone is topped back up. A badly timed tremor hit and lasher explosion often lead to a death for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    yeah, we've downed Freya a few times doing this, and it does work but some attempts we just don't quite get them down before the next wave and there are problems or one detonates right around when Freya does her ground tremor (maybe because of DW proccing off damage shield)...and while we eventually get her it just feels sloppy...I was hoping for something a bit "cleaner" to try...the aoe taunt is a great idea...I'm just don't get the logistics of it yet.

yeah, we've downed Freya a few times doing this, and it does work but some attempts we just don't quite get them down before the next wave and there are problems or one detonates right around when Freya does her ground tremor (maybe because of DW proccing off damage shield)...and while we eventually get her it just feels sloppy...I was hoping for something a bit "cleaner" to try...the aoe taunt is a great idea...I'm just don't get the logistics of it yet.
    I can't say I quite get the logistics of the AE taunt myself. It seems that you'll either AE Taunt Freya also (for better or worse) or not get away from everyone in time to have the AE taunt matter. We have not tried 3 tree freya yet, but plan to soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoal View Post
    I can't say I quite get the logistics of the AE taunt myself. It seems that you'll either AE Taunt Freya also (for better or worse) or not get away from everyone in time to have the AE taunt matter. We have not tried 3 tree freya yet, but plan to soon.
    In the video, I think they said they use 1 tank...so I'm guessing that would have to be the aoe taunter.

We also have a feral druid usually that does the first AoE taunt with a guardian spirit up.

Updating this with a 25-man movie in about 20 minutes for those who are still working on Conqueror of Ulduar. Donor movie is already up for download!

Movie up!

+ Reply to Thread