+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help Frost tank

Need Help Frost tank

Hey guys well let me let yall know i have been tanking frost spec since i turned 80 and i never had trouble with aggro before but it seems like after the patch came out everyone can pull aggro from me. i have tanked uld naxx etc. not a problem till now. For some odd reason i can not keep aggro like today i was tanking with my friend a warrior tank never before he could take the mob without taunting but now in 2 hits he took aggro we are like wth ?? Is my spec wrong ??? if so plz let me know and a rotation maybe my rotation is wrong too now.

The World of Warcraft Armory

I see three talents you need to pick up imo. Bladed Armor and two-handed specialty in Blood, and Deathchill in Frost. Due to Glyph of Disease and 2/3 Improved Icy Touch, I assume you're running a two disease rotation which is fine. Your glyph of IBF is pretty much useless though, and changing that to maybe UBA would be more beneficial. Personally I use a single disease rotation (Glyphed) HB, BB, DND, and I've got so much aggro I couldn't shake it if I wanted to. Since you weren't more specific about when you lost aggro, what the warrior was doing, or your rotation, that's about all I can offer. Good luck, and happy tanking!
    ...Thoughts of a philosophical Death Knight...
    If death is the inevitable end of life, is life the inevitable end of undeath?

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    I see three talents you need to pick up imo. Bladed Armor and two-handed specialty in Blood, and Deathchill in Frost. Due to Glyph of Disease and 2/3 Improved Icy Touch, I assume you're running a two disease rotation which is fine. Your glyph of IBF is pretty much useless though, and changing that to maybe UBA would be more beneficial. Personally I use a single disease rotation (Glyphed) HB, BB, DND, and I've got so much aggro I couldn't shake it if I wanted to. Since you weren't more specific about when you lost aggro, what the warrior was doing, or your rotation, that's about all I can offer. Good luck, and happy tanking!

what do i replace then on my talent tree? so that i can get Bladed Armor and two-handed specialty in Blood, and Deathchill in Frost

In your example when the warrior pulled aggro off you, were you mt'ing a boss, or tanking trash adds? If MT, it could be due to the nerfs to Frost's single-target threat:

1. Frost Strike now dodgeable, parryable if you're not expertise capped, which it appears you aren't.
    2. FS reduced from 60% to 55% of weapon dmg.
    3. Blood of the North FS modifier reduced from 15% to 10%.

And not relevant to your build, but...

4. Sigil of the Vengeful Heart reduced from 420 additional damage to FS to 113.
    5. Bladed Armor indirectly nerfed by Toughness nerf from 15% armor increase to 10%.

I find Frost's snap AoE is still unbeatable for OT/AoE tanking, but it now seems to be the weakest MT tree for both threat and survivability, at least as 2H (Parses of DW Frost tanks seems to show higher dps and higher mitigation/avoidance).

I have two tank specs, Frost for AoE/OT and Blood for MT. That might be worth trying if you're not required to have a dps offspec.
    Quote Originally Posted by juniorsz View Post
    what do i replace then on my talent tree? so that i can get Bladed Armor and two-handed specialty in Blood, and Deathchill in Frost
    Try 15/51/5. Don't need Morbidity since Frost spams FS, not DC, and one DnD followed by all the HB's and BB's you have runes for should be enough to hold aggro on an aoe pull.

Don't need Epidemic if you glyph HB. HB cd is 8s, base disease duration is 15s, hence FF will get reapplied constantly. Don't need Blood Plague as Frost since the only Frost ability it buffs is Oblit (See Tundra Stalker and Glacier Rot).

May or may not need the extra hit from Virulence, but try to get that from gear and enchants as much as possible. There may be a tradeoff there with Scent of Blood, depending on whether you need more hit for HB or more RP for FS. You'll have to figure that one out based on your own experience.

Don't Runic Power Mastery, you should be spamming FS enough that your RP bar is never full. Move 1 pt from there into 3/3 IIT, and the other point into Deathchill. Macro Deathchill to HB to guarantee a crit HB every 2m, which in my experience is roughly every other or every 3rd trash pull. Nice boss opener too.

All 3 of your main glyphs are suboptimal for Frost. Glyph of IBF is for pvp only. A tank with 540+ defense will already have about 35% dmg reduction from IBF, and that glyph doesn't stack with it, hence useless.

Again, with glyphed, Deathchilled, Killing Machined HB, followed with BB and DnD, you have all the AoE you need, and shouldn't need DnD. If your dps is going AoE-wild and pulling from you for that reason, you might want to chat with the raid leader about it, and see if they shouldn't be using their cd's and mana/energy/rage focus-firing your current target instead.

Glyph of disease is great for UH and Blood, but worth reconsidering for Frost. If you feel you need to mt w/ both FF and BP up, and you're designing you spec primarily for MT, then yeah it might be necessary. But it's worth at least testing the single-disease, glyphed HB build/rotation/method as well, see if it makes any difference. You can still use PS to keep up BP if you really want to.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 08-17-2009 at 07:53 PM.

ok i changed my spec now should i still us e a 2 handed weapon or go for duel wield tank ?? and also what would be my rotation?

I'd say stick w/ 2H until you really understand what you're doing. DW gives you more defense and avoidance stats (replaces a single 2H dps weapon w/ 2 1H tanking weapons), but also requires much higher hit and expertise than 2H. There are other threads here discussing DW tanking with people much more experienced at it than I, try searching the forums for 'DW tank'.

As for a rotation, I'll give you mine and you can adapt it to your needs.

Initial pull for trash: DnD, HB, BB. Leaves you with about 45 rp to burn for IBF and RS.
    Until they're down: HB, OB, BB x2, spam RS.

For Boss: HB, Ob, Blood Strike X2 to make death runes. IBF and RS when needed.

Make sure you glyph your HB and all should be well. Frost builds frontload plenty of threat, but EH is a concern. If you're experienced with warriors at all, a Blood spec would work out. Just keep in mind, DK tanks aren't anywhere near as mobile but Dark Command and Deathgrip kinda make up for it by bringing mobs to you. Just don't ask me about a Blood tank spec. I tried it, hated it, and swore it off lol.
    ...Thoughts of a philosophical Death Knight...
    If death is the inevitable end of life, is life the inevitable end of undeath?

+ Reply to Thread